EVH Wah

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Big Bad Bill

Even his many amps are a cynical marketing ploy. When the 5150 came out, in the interviews (and I have them all) EVH said things like, "This is my actual tone, its exactly what I want in an amp" etc and then with each and every successive incarnation he says the same things. He obviously thinks his fans have as short a memory span as he seems to! Who's buying this stuff? It must be kids with rich parents and since they fuelling the market, companies will continue to bring this rubbish out. As for the rest of us, lets just keep engaging our brains before thinking about buying these things.
boswell

Big Bad Bill wrote:Who's buying this stuff? It must be kids with rich parents and since they fuelling the market, companies will continue to bring this rubbish out. As for the rest of us, lets just keep engaging our brains before thinking about buying these things.
I dunno there are a shed load of forty somethings on Youtube reliving their youth buying his EVH shite.
another virtuoso

Big Bad Bill wrote:As for the rest of us, lets just keep engaging our brains before thinking about buying these things.
I get kinda shy and nervous whenever my brain comes around... like i just don't know what to say to it sometimes without looking stupid. My brain came over last night for a movie and I thought I'd put my arm around it's hippocampus during one of the more romantic scenes but then it just got awkward...
h100

only evh product i own is the phase 90
boswell

h100 wrote:only evh product i own is the phase 90
Case in point:

Eddie got his iconic tone from the original version of this:

MXR CSP-101CL Custom Shop Script Phase 90 Phaser $99.99

Eddie sticks a $00.10 switch and circuit mod so you get vintage and modern tone paints red and laughs all the way to the bank

MXR EVH Eddie Van Halen Phase 90 $129.99

So if you really want the EVH tone it's easy buy a Phase 90 and save cash for your next pedal :D
Vercetti50

Im a vicitim of the EVH Flanger but i own a regular MXR Phase 90. Really i could see the Flanger a more practical sig pedal since there is more headroom for shaping your own tone with 4 knobs unlike the phase 90 which is just one knob.

and i have personally always hated it when eddie uses a wah during his live shows. I find it overbearing and kinda annoying from the good ol ed' but lately thats gone anyway....
Tobacco Road

fixxer746 wrote:Wow that seems really expensive for a wah. I wonder how big of a difference there is between that and a standard Cry Baby sound wise.

The Bad Horsie 2 is pretty steep itself, if I remember correctly I think I paid around 230 (give or take) Then again it was worth it because im in love with the whole step on step off idea instead of CLICK!

Ciao
Robert
TheOtnip

Tobacco Road wrote:
fixxer746 wrote:Wow that seems really expensive for a wah. I wonder how big of a difference there is between that and a standard Cry Baby sound wise.

The Bad Horsie 2 is pretty steep itself, if I remember correctly I think I paid around 230 (give or take) Then again it was worth it because im in love with the whole step on step off idea instead of CLICK!

Ciao
Robert
I got my Bad Horsie 2 for 130 if I remember correctly
Tobacco Road

I got my Bad Horsie 2 for 130 if I remember correctly[/quote]

Everything seems to be so expensive up here in Canada, it's ridiciouls. I have to start making runs across the boarder to Buffalo in order to save some money. :lol:
afaruler159

I have noticed EVH overprices almost everything. Look at his 25000 $ guitar and approximately 4000$ amplifier. But that is OK.
resha

Well the legend about EVH's original pot which showed consumption only in the mid range seems a bit over the top.

Reinventing a wah sound it's practically impossible to me.

A wah sounds like a wah. There can be some differences here and there, like more hi range, more mids, more/less sweep, the differences in tonal reaction to the pedal range... but reinvent it, well, no. :?

Imho it's another 15yo guitar-heads device.
mike3121
Newcomer

afaruler159 wrote:I have noticed EVH overprices almost everything. Look at his 25000 $ guitar and approximately 4000$ amplifier. But that is OK.
I agree
boswell

Well he's gotta make money for the "War effort" (Divorce settlement) Right Now :wink:
resha

boswell wrote:Well he's gotta make money for the "War effort" (Divorce settlement) Right Now :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: