Laney Trouble! HELP!!!

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
jam-man

Laney Trouble! HELP!!!

#1 Post by jam-man » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:53 am

Hi guys!

I have a big problem!

I have a Laney GH50L ()no, that's not a problem :lol: ) and while playing, just a few minutes ago, I heard some kind of a noise coming out of it...sounded like disconecting a guitar from a working amp...I don't know how better to describe it...
After the "bang" it started to buzz a lot...and the buzzing iz not changing when i change volume...it stays the same all the time until I press Stand By and Turn off the amp...

Amp is 3 months old, I have used it on 1 gig so far, the gig was 20 days ago, and it's been working properly before that, and after...until now...

I really need help ASAP cause I have another gig tommorow night...so I would be extremely thankful if someone could tel me what's wrong and what is the best way to fix the problem...

bancika

#2 Post by bancika » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:06 am

maybe one (or more) tube crapped out, try to replace them and see if that helps...

jam-man

#3 Post by jam-man » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:00 am

They are all glowing...

bancika

#4 Post by bancika » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:02 am

that doesn't necessary mean they are working correctly, their function is not to glow, but to amplify... 8)

jam-man

#5 Post by jam-man » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:44 pm

Hmmm...I thought of that later...it's a problem because I live in a small town, and I don't have time to go and buy a new tube...a buddy of mine has a spare one, so we can try it out, just to be sure that I don't need to take the amp to the shop?

Mmmm...I see you have a MSN...could I contact you by it, because I have some questions and I need them to be answered fast, and this is taking a long time...

If you have time to help me, leave me your MSN contact and time when you will be available on it. I see you are from Serbia, so you probably know what time it is here (now, it's 21:41). I'd really apreciate it!

Shade

#6 Post by Shade » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:27 pm

I'm no expert on tube amps, but check the input jack to see if it's loose. The problem you are having is exactly the same I have with the bass amp at school, I think there's some faulty wiring because it'll do what you described even though it's tight and doesn't wiggle around. So have that checked before you replace the tubes.

jam-man

#7 Post by jam-man » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:12 am

Man, I was so happy when I was using a 10W Squier and a Squier Strat :lol:!

There's so many things that can go wrong and I'm new to taht al tube thing...so...

I think I'll buy new tubes, replace them all and if it still doesn't work, I'll take the amp to the shop, it has a warrant, and I'll let them take care of it!

bancika

#8 Post by bancika » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:57 am

I don't have MSN any more, I'll update the profile.
The reason I told you to try with tubes is that it's the easiest thing to try. You don't need to take it to the shop. For output tubes you can try changing one of them just to see if it's not that to blame but if you're changing output tubes permanently you should get a matched set of tubes. For preamp tubes matching is not important so stick in any tube you have.
Yes, it might be faulty wiring, but I told you to try with tubes because it's the easiest thing to do.
If you know how to do it, you can check if wiring is ok, maybe there's a loose joint or something.

AWARE: capacitors can hold high voltage even with amp off. Make sure (with voltmeter) that all capacitors are empty before sticking your hands inside, it could be painful and even deadly.

Cheers