My CryBaby lost it's WAH! :(

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
jam-man

Hi guys!

From Wah, all that is left in my Crybaby is W-H...there's no transition...you just hear low and high pitches...what to do?

Could greasing it up fix the problem?
TomSawyer
Newcomer

mods can be done to the crybaby to increase the midrange and also to have a better transition from heel to toe, google crybaby mods, theyre easy to find on the net
jam-man

I don't need to increase it, just to bring it up to it's original shape/sound/whatever...
Guitarmiester

How old/new is it? Maybe you need to replace the pot.
jam-man

A year and few months...
Guitarmiester

If the wah sound isn't very pronounced and almost sounds like it's acting as a weak volume swell, you'll need to replace the pot. Greasing it up won't do much other than making the treadle a little smoother.
ozzyport
Newcomer

Sounds like the Inductor might have gone, is there no wah sound at all?
jam-man

Practically not...but that doesn't matter anymore...I'm getting a Bad Horsie in a few months!
GuitarBizarre

Found a site that has some very detailed wah analysis:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/w ... wahped.htm

Near the bottom theres this:
No "wah" sound, only volume change
Cbp is failing. Replace it with a new 4.7uF to 22uF aluminum electrolytic capacitor.

No "wah" sound, only treble change
Inductor Lf is probably open. Get a replacement.

"Wah" range noticeably decreased when certain effects used AFTER the wah.

The input impedance of the effect is loading down the output of the wah, as the input impedance of the next effect appears effectively in parallel with the collector resistor of Q1. This directly cuts the gain, which we've seen is responsible for the variable-capacitance effect that gives the wah its variable-frequency sound. The solution is pretty simple - buffer either the input of the following effect or the output of the wah.