Anyone else have a vox valvetronix amp here ?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Post Reply
Message
Author
TheRocKsTaR777
Member
Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Brownsville,TX

Anyone else have a vox valvetronix amp here ?

#1 Post by TheRocKsTaR777 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:56 pm

if you do..I have a question..I love my amp..its great and all..theres only one thing that I dont like about it..and its a big deal..I can't seem to figure it out..whenever I switch channels on it the volume dramatically jumps thru the roof and is louder than hell even if the volume and master volume are turned all the way down ! its annoying as hell so I dont use it for jamming or anything,mainly only for recording,and its a shame cause its a really kick ass little amp. Anyone have this same problem ? I wish there was individual volume knobs for each channel,this thing is weird.I have my clean channel designated to channel one..clean,with a slight delay..my lead channel has more delay..but I tell u I switch between the 2..and it gets super loud..it sux its very very dramatic.

Shade
Member
Member
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:43 pm

#2 Post by Shade » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:32 pm

You should be able to set the volume levels for each channel and save it as a patch. My first idea would be that your master vol. is turned way up, but you said that it happens even with it down..so I'm not really sure.

Lo Lo
Member
Member
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:39 am
Location: Minneapolis MN U.S.A.
Contact:

#3 Post by Lo Lo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:08 pm

I tried that amp at Guitar Center and it was doing the same thing to me. I jammed on a patch at a low level and switched to another patch and the dam thing got sooo loud it scared the shit out of me. Everytime I switched patches I had to turn the vol down before I touched the strings. It was very anoying!

TheRocKsTaR777
Member
Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Brownsville,TX

#4 Post by TheRocKsTaR777 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:58 pm

Lo Lo wrote:I tried that amp at Guitar Center and it was doing the same thing to me. I jammed on a patch at a low level and switched to another patch and the dam thing got sooo loud it scared the shit out of me. Everytime I switched patches I had to turn the vol down before I touched the strings. It was very anoying!
I am not alone. LOL..yeah it happens even with the master volume down..and you honestly I personally think it sounds really nice considering its a modeling amp..what did you think LoLo ?

keithroxx
Member
Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:28 am

#5 Post by keithroxx » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:59 pm

first of all, which model do you have?
have you referred to the manual to see about "programming" certain patches and the corresponding volume settings?

I have an AD120VT head and it's very easy to set patches and volumes accordingly.

If you don't have a manual for your particular model, then go to vox online and download the pdf version.

cheers.

TheRocKsTaR777
Member
Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Brownsville,TX

#6 Post by TheRocKsTaR777 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:07 pm

keithroxx wrote:first of all, which model do you have?
have you referred to the manual to see about "programming" certain patches and the corresponding volume settings?

I have an AD120VT head and it's very easy to set patches and volumes accordingly.

If you don't have a manual for your particular model, then go to vox online and download the pdf version.

cheers.
AD15VT

Yes I have the manual..read it front to back.Doesnt mention anything like this..my cousin had the 50 watt version..did the same shit..so he got rid of it.

Shade
Member
Member
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:43 pm

#7 Post by Shade » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:24 am

Are you sure you're saving the patches properly? Because if you turned the "channel" volume up high to compensate for a lower-gain patch to equalize the volume, and then switched to channel 2 to adjust it without properly "writing" the previous data to the first channel, I think that could cause a volume spike.

Lo Lo
Member
Member
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:39 am
Location: Minneapolis MN U.S.A.
Contact:

#8 Post by Lo Lo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:48 am

TheRocKsTaR777 wrote:
Lo Lo wrote:I tried that amp at Guitar Center and it was doing the same thing to me. I jammed on a patch at a low level and switched to another patch and the dam thing got sooo loud it scared the shit out of me. Everytime I switched patches I had to turn the vol down before I touched the strings. It was very anoying!
I am not alone. LOL..yeah it happens even with the master volume down..and you honestly I personally think it sounds really nice considering its a modeling amp..what did you think LoLo ?
It sounded pretty good, looks nice too. I tried it at guitar center with no manual or foot switcher and still got around it pretty good, exept for that dam volume thing! Thought the effects were allright but lacked good user control without the additional foot switcher if you were to play it live on stage. I did think the Line6 Bogner spider sounded better, but for double the price of the Vox.

I thought the Vox would make an exelent home amp. Good effects, single preamp tube(no power tubes), low cost, sounds good(including distortion). I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10 with the foot switcher and volume problem solved.

Post Reply