I HAVE FOUND THE PERFECT AMP!!!!!

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Lo Lo

I HAVE FOUND THE PERFECT AMP!!!!!

#1 Post by Lo Lo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:21 am

It's the WorkHorse Stallion 2x12 60watt all tube combo amp.

This thing has everything you'll ever need or want in a tube combo!
It even comes with the Jekll & Hyde overdrive padal. At $1,275 usd, it's
not a cheap amp. This is botique perfection. Tone for tone, this amp will
go head-to-head with the big names anyday. Crate Classic 30, Mesa boogies, Fenders,
marshalls, Peaveys........... Nothing close close. You have to hear one of these things!
http://www.visualsound.net/Amps_wh.htm

I painted the sound dispersion grills black.

The dispersion grills work very well!

Never pay a amp tech to bias my tube again!!!
When you put new tubes in most amps, you have to bring it to an amp tech to have him bias the power tubes for you… normally about a $75 job. If you get a Workhorse amp, you can say goodbye to your amp tech. As you can see in the photo, the back panel of the Workhorse amps has 4 holes in it; 2 for a screwdriver, 2 for seeing LED’s.

Once the amp is fully warmed up, you take the ceramic screwdriver provided with the amp (or any other Phillips screwdriver), put it through one of the lower holes and turn the pot inside until the LED above it turns green. If it turns red, the tube is biased a bit too hot. If the LED is off, the tube is biased a bit too cold.

That’s all there is to it. You can literally bias your power tubes in about 10 seconds with absolutely no knowledge of electronics required.

all the jacks and pots are hand-wired to the circuit board.

Celestion Seventy80 12" speakers

Three(3) preamp tubes, Two(2) power tubes, One(1) channel!

Came with padded cover!

My pedalboard with my new Jekll & Hyde overdrive pedal.

My girls.

I am a kid again. I have just spent the last four days playing my guitars...
All day long! It is soooo inspiring to compose when you have a really
great amp and guitars!

Guys........Check this amp out before you buy anything!!!!!!!

Jem-7vwh-agg

#2 Post by Jem-7vwh-agg » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:47 am

is this an advertisment???? :? :roll:

Big Bad Bill

#3 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:54 am

Looks nice with the black hub caps-the chromed ones look a bit too "Pimp's limo". Do they spin around when you play? I'm really impressed with the simple user biasing system. But, I don't like Celestions-I think they have the unique ability to sound both mushy and harsh! You couldn't design that if you tried!

Lo Lo

#4 Post by Lo Lo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:21 am

I used to agree with you about the Celestions. I thought that the V30's were good for distortion but not much for clean tones....Until I heard the
new seventy80's.....These don't break-up like most Celestions. they are very clear and articulate! Research them, you may like these.

And no, this is no avertisement. I am just very, very happy with my new
amp and want to share the joy! I can tell you alot about this amp, I researched it for four months before I bouoght it.

bancika

#5 Post by bancika » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:47 am

Cool, so you got it after all...congrats man!

Surtr

#6 Post by Surtr » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:17 am

Is it really a tube amp or is it an emulation?

h100

#7 Post by h100 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:13 pm

looks like hup caps over the speakers

al

#8 Post by al » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:01 pm

Vroom vroom

damn my amp only projects sound at 20 degrees, im screwed! maybe they're magic soundwaves

looks cool though! some nec features there and get a pedal too, id like to try

Big Bad Bill

#9 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:22 pm

brother al wrote:damn my amp only projects sound at 20 degrees, im screwed!
That can't be strictly true or else when you moved to the side your amp would become silent :wink: Actually, I like the 'off axis' sound of speaker cabs-its a more mellow sound than when standing directly in front.

al

#10 Post by al » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:41 pm

it was sarcasm ye old man bill!

go back to bed will ye!

Shade

#11 Post by Shade » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:56 pm

If they made a head I'd be interested :).

Guitarmiester

#12 Post by Guitarmiester » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:47 pm

Clips? The hubcaps look ridiculous and the price seems pretty steep. Looks like you found an amp you're happy with though, congrats!

boswell

#13 Post by boswell » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:14 am

Honest opinion time. It looks cheap n nasty to me, as for biasing why not just buy a valve amp that doesnt require biasing http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/ExpressSers.pdf scroll to page 20 8)

Big Bad Bill

#14 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:11 am

boswell wrote:Honest opinion time. It looks cheap n nasty to me, as for biasing why not just buy a valve amp that doesnt require biasing http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/ExpressSers.pdf scroll to page 20 8)
Ha, ha-what a piece of incredible salesmanship! Have you actually read the long version, boswell? They basically say that rebiasing amps is not required if you use the same type of matched valve all the time! Duh! They suggest that rebiasing is an amp techs way of making money. Then they go on to say (paraphrased), "......so buy our matched tubes and use them exclusively and you'll never need to rebias" :lol: :lol: :lol: A clumsy piece of sophistry.

My interpretation also suggests that if you did ever want to try different valves you'd end up paying an arm and leg for a tech to try out and solder various resistors into your amp because Boogies don't have simple bias pots.

fixxer746

#15 Post by fixxer746 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:13 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
boswell wrote:Honest opinion time. It looks cheap n nasty to me, as for biasing why not just buy a valve amp that doesnt require biasing http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/ExpressSers.pdf scroll to page 20 8)
Ha, ha-what a piece of incredible salesmanship! Have you actually read the long version, boswell? They basically say that rebiasing amps is not required if you use the same type of matched valve all the time! Duh! They suggest that rebiasing is an amp techs way of making money. Then they go on to say (paraphrased), "......so buy our matched tubes and use them exclusively and you'll never need to rebias" :lol: :lol: :lol: A clumsy piece of sophistry.

My interpretation also suggests that if you did ever want to try different valves you'd end up paying an arm and leg for a tech to try out and solder various resistors into your amp because Boogies don't have simple bias pots.
Usually a tech would install a bias pot in place of the resistors to allow you to bias it like any other amp.