Upgrading to 100W

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Benjammin105

Ok, I've had a Peavey Bandit 112 for the past few years and I've been fairly happy with it for most things. My biggest complaint overall about my rig is I can't seem to get a good distorted rhythm sound. Its either too weak and thin, or too muddy. I've always ran a metal zone pedal into the clean channel of the amp and ignored the 2nd channel on the amp. This amp is 80W stock but you can add another speaker and run it at 100W. I've also been reading around online and people are using this amp with the speaker disconnected to run 4X12 cabs at 4 ohms. I was just wondering is that safe? I can't find a decent video or even a picture of someone doing this. And would adding more speakers or pushing a cab with it give me more of that bottom end without muddling up my highs?

Thanks to anyone who knows anything about all of this.

get a six pack in a month
Last edited by Benjammin105 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bancika

you can't increase amp power by adding speakers. You could increase the volume, but power doesn't have to do anything with the number of speakers.
Yes, you could use 4x12 instead of internal speaker, as long as it matches the impedance. If you're not satisfied with the tone of the amp adding more speakers won't help much IMO. You can change the EQ by changing speakers great deal, that's for sure. But you sound like it's not only EQ you don't like about that amp.
keithroxx

most 4-12 cabs are 16 ohm or 8 ohm.
that being said, it sounds like you're slamming the front end of (preamp) the amp too hard.
try backing down the gain on the pedal, or channel, and turning up the volume of the amp.
Experiment. Try even turning the volume all the way up and then bringing up the gain until you are loud enough for the band you are playing with.
that should give you more clarity and definition with less muddiness at higher volumes, yet still give you plenty of sustain and distortion.
Benjammin105

I've been experimenting heavily with the amp distortion lately and I've got a sound that is pretty good. I'll be tweaking with that and probably am about to retire the old metal zone. We had a good run though.

get a six pack in a month