Does anyone use Ashdown amps?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
meandmrvai

Does anyone use Ashdown amps?

#1 Post by meandmrvai » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:19 pm

I am thinking of getting one of their guitar amps, probably the 60 watt solid state combo which will be good for practise at home and gigging as well. I am using a Fender tube amp but it lacks an independent gain channel and so it can't distort without cranking it up and that is a huge problem for me. My cousin has an Ashdown bass amp and he loves it, but I have never heard of anyone using their guitar amps. For 280 bucks, a 60 watt guitar amp with an effects return (great for my POD XT Live) and two channels as well as a headphone jack is great, but tonally I have no idea how good they are.

Shade

#2 Post by Shade » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:23 pm

If you have a pod XT live, why not just use that with the fender amp?

meandmrvai

#3 Post by meandmrvai » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:33 pm

Because it sounds like garbage through my amp and I get insane feedback galore even when the volume is low. I have to plug my POD into my computer speakers to get things to sound the way I want them. I can't even use a wah pedal without getting squealy feedback when I go toe down, it is really pissing me off.

Surtr

#4 Post by Surtr » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:53 pm

When I saw Vader live they where using the Ashdown Fallen Angel 180 and it was awesome... But that one must be a little expensive... There is also a 60 W head which is not so expensive...

meandmrvai

#5 Post by meandmrvai » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:34 pm

The Fallen Angel 60 watt 2x12 combo is about 750 bucks USD, which is expensive compared to the All Access one that I was looking at. They have a 40 watt model which is 680 but it is an all tube amp, the Fallen Angel series are straight tube amps, while the All Access are solid state. Plus the All Access amps do not have DSP effects. The nice thing about the All Access 60 watt amp is that it has a Line Out which allows me to record direct to a mixer unit that I have running to my computer via USB. Usually when I am recording at home I just run my POD XT Live into the little unit and then it goes into my computer, better for sound quality I think. And heck, for 280 bucks (so about 300 CAD) I could get an amp with more wattage then my Pro Junior and still be able to get nice tones from the amp itself, as I like to use my POD for effects, not for amp modeling.