Keeley DS1 sounds like crap thru legacy

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
TheRocKsTaR777

Keeley DS1 sounds like crap thru legacy

#1 Post by TheRocKsTaR777 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:56 pm

I dont know what the deal is but honestly,I can't seem to get a good 'vai' tone with my Keeley DS1 and my legacy..I know steve mentioned in an interview way back when that its an important element in his tone..but Mine always sounds muddy and shitty when I use it with my legacy,it sounds ok thru the clean channel..dont get me wrong its a hell of a pedal,better than a stock ds1.But,Its terrible thru the distorted channel on the legacy,I dont know if its just me,but thats my dilemna,as a result I dont even use the damn thing.I use it more for my little VOX valvetronix to give it a little more bite.Works wonders on that amp..I use my TS-808 on my legacy 99.9% of the time.I can def get a vai tone with that pedal.Anyone else run into this ?? I've tried all sorts of different settings but just cant seem to get it to sound good..I wonder how good ol steve uses it,and if the legacy hes using has the stock EL34s or some other tubes..if I cant get it to work,ill most likely sell it and get something else rather than have it sit and collect dust..

Zeds.Ded

#2 Post by Zeds.Ded » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:01 pm

out of curiosity what volume you you play the amp at?

TheRocKsTaR777

#3 Post by TheRocKsTaR777 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:18 pm

normally I play at 50 watts and my clean volume is set at about 1.5,Lead channel is at about 2,these are my bedroom levels,however If I jam with friends I'll usually play my lead at around 2.5-3,and the clean at around the same.

Shade

#4 Post by Shade » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm

It shouldn't sound bad...I've never played the legacy, but using even my stock DS-1 through my cheap crate amp's OD channel yields an okay result.

From what little I know about such things, my first idea would be that you had too much gain dialed in on the DS-1 and it caused the sound to be really mushy. Try setting the gain really low, or even all the way down on the pedal. And using the level control to boost your volume and the tone knob as a contour to warm up or add more bite to your sound.

resha

#5 Post by resha » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:46 am

DS-1 setting are you using?

NOT!!!

#6 Post by NOT!!! » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:20 am

turn down your legacy gain if it gets muddy (or spongy). I have the same effect when I use a normal DS-1, my gain is at 7, it´s the boarder where it still sounds good :).

bkornaker1977

#7 Post by bkornaker1977 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:43 am

i use the Ds-1 Ultra from keeley......and it works well in front of the lead channel of the legacy head.

i set mine at......

"Ultra mode" toggle down (ON)
tone- 11 oclock
level -ALL THE WAY UP
Dist- NONE (all the way down)

in Ultra mode, it acts more of an OD pedal , than a distortion pedal. To hear sound clips, go to my page at www.soundclick.com/bryank

the proof is in there, its a decent tone i think .......IMO

Zeds.Ded

#8 Post by Zeds.Ded » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:58 am

try turning the amp up to about 5 or 6. then post back with how it sounds :wink:

it will probably make you go deaf, dumb, blind and paralytic though. thats the power of the Legacy! :)

TheRocKsTaR777

#9 Post by TheRocKsTaR777 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:41 pm

all very good info guys..I think I know where I screwed up now..I was using ''vai's settings'' from a pic that was posted here a while back where he had his tone at about 11 o clock,his level at about 11.5,and his dist at about 12..probably why I had that muddy sound..im curious if those where his settings he used how did he have his stuff eq'd ? Anyway right now my settings are on ''seeing eye mode'' tone at about 10..level at 9..and dist at about 9...ill try your suggestions..bryan your tone is very nice and smooth..I guess cutting back on the dist might help..I hadnt tried that as I thought it would defeat the purpose of a distortion pedal..still new to the whole tube amp setups..

TheRocKsTaR777

#10 Post by TheRocKsTaR777 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:56 pm

also would u say the DS1 with those type of settings is good for a lead tone or more for a chunkier rhythm..? I eq'd it just like bryans settings and for leads,it sounded ok..but I got a hell of a chunky meaty rhythm..suddenly I got that nice thick bad horsie type distorted sound..it was really kool ! I switch back to the tube screamer,and I get that nice smooth lead tone..

bkornaker1977

#11 Post by bkornaker1977 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:56 pm

i try not to use any distortion on the pedal......the more you add, the more "flabby" and "mushy" it can get..........

so if you boost the level button, it will add a clean boost of a signal to drive the amp harder, without adding any nasty coloring artifacts that the "distortion knob" will add.

I only use the DS-1 to boost my lead/solo tone.......i let my amps distortion do the rythem tones

I think Vai set his old "un-modded" DS-1 to ........

tone- 11 oclock
level- 12 oclock
dist- 11 oclock

but even he admits to the sound of the DS-1 is a bit too compressed sounding, which is due to over boosting the distortion knob IMO

TheRocKsTaR777

#12 Post by TheRocKsTaR777 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:38 pm

ahh I see..well you see those are the settings I used before and it def sounded mushy..didnt like the tone at all..

cleavey
Newcomer

#13 Post by cleavey » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:45 am

The key to getting a "great" sound out of a valve amp is to turn it up and push the valves. I have had similar problems over the years as a full-time bedroom guitarist. The solution I have found is to use an attenuator and a small PA. I can now turn my amps all the way up to 11, all my tones are great. Its taken a lot of experimentation and a lot of money but now I have the perfect set-up all thanks to my Palmer Speaker Simulator - what a piece of kit!!! :lol:

ralphenz32
Newcomer

Re: Keeley DS1 sounds like crap thru legacy

#14 Post by ralphenz32 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi-

I personally stood a few away from his live rig when I attended his teaching class.
He does not use a Keeley DS-1 pedal.
He of course, uses his new Jemini pedal, but before that, he was using an AnalogMan
modded DS-1 pedal.
Joe Satriani used the Keeley Pedal.
They sound similar, but, the Analogman has more bottom end.

-Peace-

-JESS

RAI

Re: Keeley DS1 sounds like crap thru legacy

#15 Post by RAI » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:31 pm

ralphenz32 wrote:Hi-

I personally stood a few away from his live rig when I attended his teaching class.
He does not use a Keeley DS-1 pedal.
He of course, uses his new Jemini pedal, but before that, he was using an AnalogMan
modded DS-1 pedal.
Joe Satriani used the Keeley Pedal.
They sound similar, but, the Analogman has more bottom end.

-Peace-

-JESS
Steve has used the Keeley. It's been well-documented.