GNX Workstation

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
TRIDS

I am considering getting a GNX workstation, but i am not sure which one to get. I want the one that you can download the patches off the digitech website for new presets. Does the GNX 3000 do that because I think I like that one the best.
sunai

i got a gnx3, its an amazin piece of work
if u can shell out a couple of more bucks, i advise u go for the gnx4, but the problem is i think it dosen't have an 8 track recorder!!!
guyver_dio

All GNX models have a patch library

This is for the GNX3000 http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/guita ... ductid=215

The GNX4 does have an inbuilt 8-track digital recorder, the GNX3000 doesn't. It's purely just a multi effects floor processor.

If you got the money and don't think you'll ever use the inbuilt digital recorder then go with the GNX3000, it's got a fair more new features including a lot more amp models to choose from (including the carvin legacy :wink: )

I got a GNX3 a fair while ago now, I still use it, brilliant piece of equipment for the price.
TRIDS

I already have a cable for recording so I think I am gonna go with the GNX3000. Also, is the Carvin Legacy the head and the cab or just one.
sunai

TRIDS wrote:I already have a cable for recording so I think I am gonna go with the GNX3000. Also, is the Carvin Legacy the head and the cab or just one.
i think its just the amp head in there
Logic

GNX's are great. I have one. A GNX 2. Once you learn to navagete that baby there nothing you can't do. Just don't be to heavy handed. I did that when I first got it but now I have matured and am getting some really nice tones out of it.
TRIDS

I heard that if you don't plug it into the fx loop and you plug it strait into the amp like a stompbox that it sounds like ass.
sunai

depends on how you set it
coz when u plug in the gnx into an amp for say the wah wah pedal but you dont want the amp modelling then you have to turn off the amp modelling otherwise it will be like plugging in a guitar to one amp, and plugging that amp into another amp!!!!!!
TRIDS

Why does the GNX sound so much better going through the FX loop? Is it because it bypasses the preamp?
sunai

i dont know how it affects the sound
the effects loop(gnx3) is like

input

pickup sim-- wah--- compressor---- whammy/ips---- stompbox---- amp modelling---- noise gate--- whammy (talker)--- chorus --- delay---- reverb

output

now u tell me if this helps you
:D
Logic

It plugs into the amp, or two mating amps. Thats how I use it. I love a stereo effect. He's right about the modeling though. Thats what I was talking about when I said "to heavy handed." Alot of people don't like these type of effects due to the "amp into amp" sound. Learning to navigate this is so important. People get frustrated because they are looking for a certian tone or effect and can't get it. Usually due to too much stuff running. I tweeked the Tune Cab preset and have a real nice setting that lets the guitars tone really come thru. Thats important to me.
sunai

mind sharing the setting????
andy82

sorry to stir the pot : )...anyway, have you considered a GT-6/8 or Line 6 PODxt Live? I've tried all of them (including the GNX) and here's my 2 cents:

Line6 PODxtLive has the best COSM amp modelling, and its probably the most versatile unit (and has a huge following and you can get almost any patches off the net)

Boss GT6/8 has the best effects (its from BOSS, so you'd expect it) but the Amp modelling isn't as good.

I'm saving up for a GT-PRO at the moment. Wonder if anyone has that here?
sunai

i really feel that the pod dosen't have the tonal versatility of the gnx3, though i will agree that it has the amazing dynamic response, and can simulate amp cabs a little better than the gnx3!!!

just my 2 cents though!
in my opinion the gnx is better than the pod but only so slightly
sunai

one of my friends has a gt 8 and i tried it,
found its tones very weak