New Dimarzio Steve Vai Cable

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
prman

Svelt Pen wrote:Maybe we hear a "big" difference as musicians, but I can almost guarantee the audience won't.
Yes, that is true but I dare to say that you will most certainly play better if YOU think that you have a good tone as opposed to the situation where you think your tone is lacking life. That will reflect in your playing and the audience CAN tell if the musician is inspired about his/her performance.
NOT!!!

Svelt Pen wrote:Maybe we hear a "big" difference as musicians, but I can almost guarantee the audience won't..
do you know, that it is just this tiny things that seperates the pros from the hobby-players.

There´s many things you don´t hear in a song. But if it was gone, the song wouldn´t catch you at all. It is those little things that make a song interesting!
Svelt Pen

prman wrote:
Svelt Pen wrote:Maybe we hear a "big" difference as musicians, but I can almost guarantee the audience won't.
Yes, that is true but I dare to say that you will most certainly play better if YOU think that you have a good tone as opposed to the situation where you think your tone is lacking life. That will reflect in your playing and the audience CAN tell if the musician is inspired about his/her performance.
True, but if you have a good tone from the guitar and amp to begin with, you aren't going to all of a sudden have shitty tone if you use a cheaper cable. I think it would be more true, for instance, if Vai had to play through a Peavey Bandit or something, with no delay or reverb...that would be truly uninspiring to Steve I 'm sure. lol...
Svelt Pen

NOT!!! wrote:
Svelt Pen wrote:Maybe we hear a "big" difference as musicians, but I can almost guarantee the audience won't..
do you know, that it is just this tiny things that seperates the pros from the hobby-players.

There´s many things you don´t hear in a song. But if it was gone, the song wouldn´t catch you at all. It is those little things that make a song interesting!
I have to respectfully disagree....look at the crappy gear Satriani had to record Surfing With The Alien with...A Kramer Pacer?! A Gorilla practice amp?! lol...and the album still sounded great...Great tone is mostly in your hands, and he adjusted his technique to accommodate the gear he had to work with. THAT is the sign of a true professional, not the quality or type of cable or whatever he's using. What do you mean "There's many things you don't hear in a song, but if it was gone, the song wouldn't catch you at all..." Huh?! When I get "caught" as you put it by a song, I am captured by the feel and structure and melody, not by the tone...
Logic

NOT!!! wrote:
Logic wrote: Cables don't make that big a difference.

oh...they do...and how they do.... :!:
Sure you can hear a difference. Unless your comparing the worse from the best. If your alone, by yourself in a studio type room with nothing going on. Then you might be able to hear a big difference. No disrespect intended. This is like those car stereo guys who say the same thing about cables. It might make a difference, until you start the engine. then you can't tell one cable from another.

Oh, and Mr. Svelt Pen, Amen
NOT!!!

it´s not only about Satiranis music, it is about music in a whole :roll:. You can´t do a great job without the small differences, and I´m sure, Satirani has got them as well in his album, no matter how "bad" it is produced.

You know, when I listen to music, I sometimes listen to the single instruments, and this can be one out of ten playing at the same time. And I start to realize that if that part was gone, the whole piece would loose some of its mojo. T
Svelt Pen wrote: When I get "caught" as you put it by a song, I am captured by the feel and structure and melody, not by the tone...
I never said you were captured by the tone :roll:. You are caught by the little things, like I just said! And if you say no, you just don´t hear them! But if they were gone, you would miss something, just believe me!

Here´s a simple example! Take the end of "Oooo". Would it still be as good as it is, if Steve didn´t use an accoustic guitar? And the question you have to ask yourself is...did you hear the accoustic guitar before I told you (please don´t answer this question...)?

Again, this is a VERY simple example!
Svelt Pen

NOT!!! wrote:it´s not only about Satiranis music, it is about music in a whole :roll:. You can´t do a great job without the small differences, and I´m sure, Satirani has got them as well in his album, no matter how "bad" it is produced.

You know, when I listen to music, I sometimes listen to the single instruments, and this can be one out of ten playing at the same time. And I start to realize that if that part was gone, the whole piece would loose some of its mojo. T
Svelt Pen wrote: When I get "caught" as you put it by a song, I am captured by the feel and structure and melody, not by the tone...
I never said you were captured by the tone :roll:. You are caught by the little things, like I just said! And if you say no, you just don´t hear them! But if they were gone, you would miss something, just believe me!

Here´s a simple example! Take the end of "Oooo". Would it still be as good as it is, if Steve didn´t use an accoustic guitar? And the question you have to ask yourself is...did you hear the accoustic guitar before I told you (please don´t answer this question...)?

Again, this is a VERY simple example!
I was only using Satch as an example...It's actually spelt: 'Satriani'. :wink: ..I'm not just going to believe you, just because you think you are right....I have the right to express my opinion, and if you don't like it, I guess that sucks for you.."Oooo"...Actually, I've never heard that song...I'll go ahead and assume it's good though. Thanks, friend.;) I'll check it out. The fact about music is, If you don't hear it, you don't hear it. It's pretty cut and dry. I mean, those things are cool and interesting if you happen to be focused enough to notice them, but they don't make or break a song. Sorry you got so upset about it. Send a letter to management... :lol:
Luminescence

Svelt Pen wrote:I think that cables can make a bit of difference, but nothing overly substantial...Maybe we hear a "big" difference as musicians, but I can almost guarantee the audience won't. It's just like Eric Johnson being able to tell what brand of batteries are in his pedals. He's so anal about his tone, but the audience would never know the difference.
Enough of that bullshit EJ rumour. Do some research on fuzz faces
Svelt Pen

Luminescence wrote:
Svelt Pen wrote:I think that cables can make a bit of difference, but nothing overly substantial...Maybe we hear a "big" difference as musicians, but I can almost guarantee the audience won't. It's just like Eric Johnson being able to tell what brand of batteries are in his pedals. He's so anal about his tone, but the audience would never know the difference.
Why? Care to to elaborate, grumpy? :wink:
NOT!!!

Svelt Pen wrote: I mean, those things are cool and interesting if you happen to be focused enough to notice them, but they don't make or break a song. Sorry you got so upset about it. Send a letter to management... :lol:

they do, you just don´t know it!

And I can spell Satriani!
Luminescence

Svelt Pen wrote:
Luminescence wrote:
Just google fuzz face battery
Svelt Pen

NOT!!! wrote:
Svelt Pen wrote: I mean, those things are cool and interesting if you happen to be focused enough to notice them, but they don't make or break a song. Sorry you got so upset about it. Send a letter to management... :lol:

Whatever buddy :roll: You keep believing that in your head to keep yourself happy...If you could spell Satriani, why did I have to correct you? Smells like pre-teen spirit....
Svelt Pen

Luminescence wrote:
Svelt Pen wrote:
Luminescence wrote: Enough of that bullshit EJ rumour. Do some research on fuzz faces
Just google fuzz face battery
I did....What does that have to do with the topic at hand? Nothing!
NOT!!!

Svelt Pen wrote:
NOT!!! wrote:

Whatever buddy :roll: You keep believing that in your head to keep yourself happy...If you could spell Satriani, why did I have to correct you? Smells like pre-teen spirit....
lol...you think you´re the ceesycheese, right???
Svelt Pen

NOT!!! wrote:
Svelt Pen wrote:
NOT!!! wrote:

lol...you think you´re the ceesycheese, right???
riiiiiiight...because "ceesycheese" is a word... :roll: