Mastering...

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
tweezersguitar!

Just wondering whats involved with mastering ,is it just EQ-ing each instrument and adjusting the levels in the mix etc...or is there more to it than that?

The reason i ask is our band has just recorded 13 tracks and we're mixing it ourselves...do we need a professional engineer to 'master' it ?
will it make that much difference to the sound ?

Its gonna cost us too which is another factor...

Any advice appreciated :)
seljer

mixing is when you're t EQ-ing each instrument and adjusting the levels in the mix etc...

mastering is when you take the final mix of the song and put it into the version that will eventually end up on CD or on your myspace page or whatever
heres a little guide on it: http://tweakheadz.com/mastering_your_audio.htm
tweezersguitar!

I have cubaseSX ,can i master using that ?
seljer

does it have a decent EQ and compression effect?
or otherwise you can go and get VST plugins for those 2 (the article mentions a couple)

you could try getting just one track professionally mastered to see how it'd sound
tweezersguitar!

seljer wrote:does it have a decent EQ and compression effect?
or otherwise you can go and get VST plugins for those 2 (the article mentions a couple)

you could try getting just one track professionally mastered to see how it'd sound
Sounds like a good idea :wink:

Thx for the advice.

RF
VaiEvo

When I master and mix tracks, I modify the EQ and (most importantly) change the volumes of each track so it sounds blended, as if a whole band were playing the song (whereas in reality, it's me playing all the parts).
Melodic Dreamer

I like his description of the different bands in eqing.
Buzzwords. By boosting or cutting the bands on your equalizers, you can make your sound more or less "airy" (16khz), "bright" (3-10kHz) "harsh" (which is excessive brightness) "edgy" and "brittle" (2-6k) "sweet" (a slight but wide cut at 2-8k), "warm" (slight upper bass boost and slight 4k cut). You can make your mix sound "thin" by reducing an wide band of frequencies from around 200-400 hz and make it "thick" by increasing those. If you increase it too much you'll have a "muddy" mix. Your bass can go from "missing" to "buried" to "solid", "fat", "boomy" depending on how you set the low frequency controls.
pagliai

there is a great tool for cubase it is steinberg mastering edition,good tool.
Anyway there is a book where you can learn the mastering process it is a book by bob katz he is a multigrammy mastering engineer you can find it with a simple search on internet.
basically to work on the master you need
1 song to compare the sound
2 spectrum analyzer
3 a good eq (waves eqs are good)
4 a good reverb
5 a good comp
6 a good limiter

on the eq you must boost a frequence at 10db or so and with little Q factor and sweep it around the frequences when you find a frequence you don't like you cut some dbs then you do the q factor.The same when you like but you'll boost it.When you boost or cut you must come back the volume at the same level than before you use eq,turn on and turn off the eq to compare the sounds.

About compressor give a try with small ratios and about limiter don't pump it so so loud when the song is ballad just a little more when it is fast.

Anyway buy the bob's book it is an amazing book.

Also be careful in the mixing stage that's the secret.

About comp u can use
pagliai

sorry i pushed the submit botton ,my fault

About comp you can use waves comps the are good,or like i told ya mastering edition comp,you can use wavelab too it is a good program to master and don't forget to master the cd at x1 speed it is so important

best of luck
Alex