A good 'Lead' sound

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
mr_vai777

A good 'Lead' sound

#1 Post by mr_vai777 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:31 am

All I have currently to play with is a kick ass Ibanez, Digitech Hot Head distortion pedal and a fucking Marshall G8OR CD amp. How can I get a good sound that doesnt just sound like every other Marshall out there (by the way I hate Marshalls).

I hope to get a better amp some time soon but for now this is all i've got.

Thanks

Russ

j.arledge

#2 Post by j.arledge » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:58 am

i am not up on all my marshall models , could you give the specs on it ?

as far as not making it sound like a marshall , you could just run the pedal into the clean channle and use it as your main distortion . I found that with some amps if you turn the mids all the way up and have the high to about 7 and the bass to about 6 it will smooth out , other amps with get more harsh however . i think it just depends on how frequence sweep is designed on the amp. anyways that will help get rid of the grit which is sorta what i associate with marshall , that nasty nasal tone like angus young , i hate that sort of crunch sound personally .

Big Bad Bill

#3 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:02 pm

I'd suggest boosting the mids too, perhaps with a parametric equalizer. Have you thought about a BBE Sonic Maximiser to improve your tone? It did wonders for my set up, but it sort of 'enhances' you tone rather than changing it.

I'm not a fan of Marshall's either. There's an awful lot of hype associated with them-and the rock 'n' roll dream!

seljer

#4 Post by seljer » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:57 pm

^I wouldn't bother with the Sonic Maximizer with that amp.

if it has a CD input, I doubt its anything more than one of Marshall's low end solid state amps.... which doesnt really sound like a Marshall at all, despite what that shiny logo on the front says ;)
you need tuuuuuuubes if you want the Marshall sound :D

quiksilver98

#5 Post by quiksilver98 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:31 pm

YOU HATE MARSHALLS??? That hurts man!!!! Anyways yeah, use the pedal for your distortion.

Big Bad Bill

#6 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:27 am

quiksilver98 wrote:YOU HATE MARSHALLS??? That hurts man!!!! Anyways yeah, use the pedal for your distortion.
Not hate-but dislike. The ones I've owned and others I've heard at friends etc, tended to sound 'harsh' and not very musical. It seems the classic 'Marshall sound' we all know and love probably comes from modded amps!

TonyMacalpine

#7 Post by TonyMacalpine » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:30 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
quiksilver98 wrote:YOU HATE MARSHALLS??? That hurts man!!!! Anyways yeah, use the pedal for your distortion.
Not hate-but dislike. The ones I've owned and others I've heard at friends etc, tended to sound 'harsh' and not very musical. It seems the classic 'Marshall sound' we all know and love probably comes from modded amps!
what kind of marshalls were you playing through??

boswell

#8 Post by boswell » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:06 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote: It seems the classic 'Marshall sound' we all know and love probably comes from modded amps!
Nah the sound we all love comes from 100W + 2 4x12's cranked to up 11 with "our hero" stood in the next booth so the pressure wave doesn't pulverise all his internal organs.
All the little Marshalls sound like a Coke can of angry wasps

VaiEvo

#9 Post by VaiEvo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:33 pm

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the Marshall sound either, there are better amps out there, especially in the price range of your amp.

If you want, try using a Boss DS-1, it'll give you AMAZING distortions.

vaigod

#10 Post by vaigod » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:43 pm

I understand your displeasure of Marshalls however the JMP1 rack mount is the best Marshall I have played thru. However, my band is starting to play some smaller gigs and instead of bringing my rack which houses the JMP1 and other goodies I needed a better combo amp than the Marshall VM265 (Stereo 12's), I find their combo amps are 'weak'. This is just personal opinion, so I scoured around and played a crap load of amps and I ended up with the Peavey JSX 212. Yes its expensive however the smaller models rock also.
~D

pagliai

#11 Post by pagliai » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:50 pm

well a good lead tone depends from many factors
1 how well you can play the part,that's a really important factor,'cause if you play pwerfectly a bad tone can be so so better.
2 setup of the guitar so pick up woods etc
3 action and frets ,the action must be not too lower 1.7/2.0 on low E and 1.0/1.2 on high E with 0.20/0.30 of neck relief
4 good cables
5 good signal path so guitar wha dist amp cranked(attenuator if it is not possible)a little delay in fx loop(to give a little ambience)and a really good tone from the speakers.
6 good mic technic
7 good preamp
8 good converters
9 pultec and urei comp(you can find them on protools or uad on nuendo)
10 a good delay stereo or mono or both of them a good reverb plate and a chorus(all of them in aux)
maybe i forget something but that's the way...the way i like it ...ah aaah ah ahhhh
tadà
best of luck
Alex

Surfingalien

#12 Post by Surfingalien » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:49 am

+ good pickups 8)

quiksilver98

#13 Post by quiksilver98 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:13 pm

I'm thinking of ditching my gt-8 someday and getting racks or sometin, the gt-8 just don't sound "real". I might get a g-force and put it through a Laney. Or get a g-system and use it's amp models.

pagliai

#14 Post by pagliai » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:58 pm

you are right ,put g force or so in the fx loop of the amp so you can put a smile in your face

quiksilver98

#15 Post by quiksilver98 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:29 pm

Should I save up for a g-system or put a g-force through my marshall?