Question about some gear.

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Shade

I'm in the market for a modeling product such as the pod 2.0, pod xt, V-amp/pro. This isn't so much about which is better, but rather which is more worth investing in considering my situation.

I won't be able to get amazing, flawless CD recorded sound until I upgrade to a mac or better PC with a good recording interface, and get the studio set up in the basement. But as many of us know, that is a process that is built up in stages and costs a lot of $$$.

For the time being, I need something that can give me passable recorded tones, just something that won't be painful for my ears and unpleasent. But I don't necesarily want to spend a bunch more to get a "better" digital recording. Like I said, this is just to tide me over for the next 3-4 years as I build up my studio.

So it's basically like compromising, and getting the cheapest I can get while still getting a passable tone to tide me over until I have a better studio.

I'm looking for a solid distorted tone, I want the ability to get a heavy metal sound, but I also need to get a clean, pushed overdrive sound as well as a clear, gutsy rock tone.

I'm leaning the most towards the pod 2.0, but I've also heard good things about behringer's V-amp pro and the Pod XT is also still in my budget. I was at a time more set on just getting the XT, but then I heard a lot of people saying the 2.0 had a better over-all, plug in and play tone + simpler interface(a very pleasing aspect), but considering all the options on the XT, I am wondering if that was more of a user-issue of people not knowing how to tweak the sounds. As I was not impressed with the XT when I played around with it some in the store. But would it be fair to say I would get more long term-usage out of the XT than the 2.0?

Also if there are any other recommendations for similar things that aren't more than 300 dollars, I'll take em.
Shade

Went with the Pod XT, couldn't be happier :).
quiksilver98

DONT GET THE POD XT!!!! Get the GT-8, the sound is more tubier instead of digital. It also has way more flexibility.
Zeds.Ded

quiksilver98 wrote:DONT GET THE POD XT!!!! Get the GT-8, the sound is more tubier instead of digital. It also has way more flexibility.
and far easier to use live
Shade

Well, I have plenty of stuff to use live, the pod will be sitting at home like 99% of the time.

Like I said in my initial post, this is just to tide me over for my recording needs until I have a lot more cash and , and It'll be more than sufficiant for that cause after only like 2 minutes of tweaking I had a decent tone that meshed well with my drum machine.
catscratchfever

i guess im the only digitech fan around here, i've got a digitech gnx3000, and it gives me every sound i need, and records easy, it comes with software(if u dont already have it) and it has interfaces to input mics and keyboards through it too. imo, at 350 its a great deal.
quiksilver98

I am still very biased tot he GT-8, LOVE mine! If you want something that will REALLY do you justice, buy a G-System from tc electronics.
dohnut

I've got an XT and I think has a lot to offer for the price. I haven't heard the gt8 but my experience of Roland/Boss gear has been good. I used to use a Boss micro rack overdrive/distortion unit mixed with the dirty channel on my marshall valvestate and it sounded great when cranked up on stage. And going back many years I used to use a Roland GP8 with a marshall JCM 800, great live sound also. But I'm sure the XT or the gt8 would be great for the studio.
quiksilver98

dohnut wrote:I've got an XT and I think has a lot to offer for the price. I haven't heard the gt8 but my experience of Roland/Boss gear has been good. I used to use a Boss micro rack overdrive/distortion unit mixed with the dirty channel on my marshall valvestate and it sounded great when cranked up on stage. And going back many years I used to use a Roland GP8 with a marshall JCM 800, great live sound also. But I'm sure the XT or the gt8 would be great for the studio.

Agreed!
pagliai

sansamp+palmer speaker simulator that's my direct line or marshall jmp1 ,if you put it with the amp mic it is juice tone(room mics),the other are pretty good but not at the same quality(pod etc)
quiksilver98

I got the juice tone with my GT-8's FTLOG setting without the delay turned on.