V3 all that good?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
*theanimal*05

V3 all that good?

#1 Post by *theanimal*05 » Sun May 20, 2007 3:48 am

Is it all its cracked up to be?
I need to know if it can do Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall type metal.
im selling my legacy head because it cant handle the amount of gain im using.
which is the nob at 7 and a ts9 at halfway for a boost.

i need something which can deliver and i was thinking of mixing my V3 head with my legacy cab.

Good idea?

yay or nay......

tobi

DiMarzio

#2 Post by DiMarzio » Sun May 20, 2007 5:27 am

I have never tried the V3 head myself, but u have heard tons of soundclips.. And i wasn't impressed! Sounds verry fizzy and bad imho...
I would suggest you try it out for yourself and make up your own mind! 8)

Melodic Dreamer

#3 Post by Melodic Dreamer » Sun May 20, 2007 6:09 am

If you want more gain go for the JSX.

joshua202020

#4 Post by joshua202020 » Sun May 20, 2007 6:27 am

Melodic Dreamer wrote:If you want more gain go for the JSX.
I Super-Colossally second to that!

Peabody

#5 Post by Peabody » Sun May 20, 2007 6:42 am

I was in San Diego and went to the Carvin store. I was SO excited to try a Legacy. (I would have bought one sight unseen if I had the $$) I must say I was quite disappointed by both the V3 and the Legacy. Strangely enough I really liked their cheaper tubeamp (MTS 100 if I remember correctly?)

I second the JSX reccomendation. Good stuff

TheRocKsTaR777

#6 Post by TheRocKsTaR777 » Sun May 20, 2007 3:38 pm

Try using a Modified Boss DS1 like a Keeley in conjunction with your legacy.I've got a keeley ds1,and its very versatile,you can get pretty much any type of distorted tone you're looking for if you eq it right.and if you crank up the gain on the pedal and run through your lead channel you should get plenty of gain for the stuff you want to do IMO.

*theanimal*05

#7 Post by *theanimal*05 » Sun May 20, 2007 9:14 pm

yeah ive tried that.
the feedback is too much.
also in the studio and live the amp can sound to harsh and bity or to dull.
its frustrating.
it feeds back heaps too, in a bad way. i put my hand over the strings and it still goes nuts.

does anyone have a v3 head with a legacy cab?
anyone else have any opinions on getting a V3?

axeman31390

#8 Post by axeman31390 » Sun May 20, 2007 10:34 pm

It sounds like you are just looking for one good review before you go buy one. That right there is like 3 bad reviews.

I HAVE PLAYED THE AMP and was not impressed in the least bit... to be honest I don't like the company.

I would go for something else...

j.arledge

#9 Post by j.arledge » Sun May 20, 2007 10:54 pm

Melodic Dreamer wrote:If you want more gain go for the JSX.
i was disapointed in the jsx , i got one cheap and had it for a few weeks and sold it . The voicing on the amp is joe's and to me it did nothing else. Gain wise it was like they took the xxx moded the voicing in the amber channle made it the lead channle and then took a peavey classic's gain and put it in as the jsx's amber channle . It did what it was ment to do but imo wasn't as versital as other 3 channle amps and i felt it was severaly lacking in the way of playing anything metal . If you want metal get a used xxx , it is cheaper and has more gain , you'll have enough left over to buy a noise gate of it .

As far as the V3 i have heard good and bad. Apperantly there was an issue that came up with the first few hundred but that is said to have been fixed . So i dont can't really commment , though i do belive the V3 is carvin's take on a mesa boogie dual recto just without the tube rectifier , or at least that is what i have gotten from the clips and reviews

seljer

#10 Post by seljer » Mon May 21, 2007 12:13 am

No idea about the Carvins, but if all you play is metal (almost exclusively metal) then check out the Peavey 6505 (or in the past known as the 5150 if you're buying used), the cleans are pretty crap (some reverb or chorus can help) but otherwise its a brutal amp, it'll do all the metal you could throw at it

Fender recently released, in conjunction with Eddie Van Halen, the 5150iii, I'm not sure how good it is but there were some videos of (a rather disoriented) EVH playing it and they did fix up the situation with the cleans
I assume it still does the heavy stuff too (8 preamp tubes :shock: ) , if you can find one already I'd try it out
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=175611

the Engl Fireball is also an amp capable of humongous amounts of gain for all the heavy metal you could want and its got a very nice clean channel, but its lacking in that in between area. The slightly bigger Engl Powerball fills up most of the spectrum (and still has way more gain than a normal person would ever need). Though I'm not sure how the deal is with Australian importers for Engls :?
Last edited by seljer on Mon May 21, 2007 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

*theanimal*05

#11 Post by *theanimal*05 » Mon May 21, 2007 1:10 am

well the poblem is...
a mesa dual rectifer head in aus= 4500 dollars

its a ridiculous markup on music equipment here.
the v3 head is 2500.

people complain about it sounding harsh but doesnt that just mean you turn down the presence in the channel and leave the brightness at 0 in your master section.
i dont like the fact it doesnt do reverb but meh.
would i be beter off getting a jcm900 for roughly the same price?

fyrie

#12 Post by fyrie » Mon May 21, 2007 11:03 am

There are a ton of user-made soundclips posted over at http://www.carvinbbs.com. You'll probably even find clips/opinions of using it with a Legacy cab as well.

I played one once. It was very nice. It's difficult to judge "how much gain" it has, but I would say it has a little less than the JSX, 5150II etc, but it's in the same ballpark. [/url]