Effects advice...searching for that sound, please help!

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
ultra

Hi Guys,
Im looking at getting the classic metal sound like Warren De Martini of Ratt and George Lynch of Dokken. I cannot seem to get what i want im close but oh so far. Can you guys let me know which pedals would be worth looking at to achieve the right Ratt/Dokken stylee. Ive looked at Digitech and boss, but am not sure what i would need...any advice would be as always most welcome.
Cheers
Ultra
seljer

What amp do you have?
ultra

Hi seljer i have a Marshall MG30DFX..great tone and good reverb.
RAI

Yep, amp....
So important, yet so overlooked.
If you're looking for those early metal years sounds, you would most likely have to look at Marshall.
Back in those days, there weren't too many amps to choose from.
Most of those guys had modded Marshall amps....
seljer

the MG might be a problem, as the key building block to those sounds would be: loud tube amp (preferably a Marshall, if you're lucky you can find a JCM800 head for about $500)
Try the new Peavey Windsor amps (they're coming out with a combo version soon), excellent at the entire 80s thing and one of the most affordable tube amps available.

though you're just looking for a pedal... The Marshall effect pedals are definitley worth a shot if thats the kind of sind you're looking for, try the Jackhammer and the Guv'nor, or maybe one of those older Shredmasters if you come across one. Out of Digitech's lineup, probably the Hot Head, I dont think the Bad Monkey would have enough gain and the Grunge is a bit over the top.... Could also give a ProCo Rat a shot.......but personally, I'm not really a fan of distortion pedals :?
Melodic Dreamer

Check out a Keeley modded Rat pedal.
pagliai

seymourduncan pickups,marshall head jcm800,25w greenback,a distortion pedal just like sd1 or mxr dist+,delay and really hot hands,really really hot.
ultra

Thnaks guys..yeah i guess the equipment back then dictated the sound, ive tried the DS-1 but it just dont have that sound, unless i need a couple more pedals maybe a tubescreamer? maybe i will try the keeley rat?..i will get there..heheh!!