My Home Studio

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Rexgtr

At the heart is my Mac G3 450 512mb w/3x 10k 9 gig LVD scsi3 harddives
running Cubase VST 24 4.1 for tracking and Nuendo for mixing.
Toast Deluxe for cd burning.
Plugins maximus (mostly use Waves gold, Waves restoration and Sonic Maximizer)

~Synths~
Kurzweil K2500x (maxed out with options)
Roland JV-1080
Roland GR-1 guitar synth
OMS Studio 4 (not a synth but my midi interface/sync using Stealth Port)

~Guitars~
1-(heavily modified) Fender Strat w/Floyd Rose™ (scooped trem cavedy inspired by SV! Great idea thanks!)
2-Glow In The Dark strat w/FR (scooped)
3-Lado Strat w/FR
4-Neck thru custom strat with standard bridge
5-Strat/Paul
6-Lado piezo acoustic 6 string
7-Vantage 5 String Bass

~FX~
1-Boss GT-5
2-Spx90ii
3-sdd-2000 (live vocals)
4-Homemade talkbox:) I found this huge old horn and driver that a church was throwing in the garbage - this driver isn't physically big but it is the loudest talkbox I ever used.
5-eBow

~Amps~
Fender Champ
Fender Twin Amp

~Mixers~
Behringer UB2442FX-Pro
Akai 4 track/6 ch mixer
Ecler 6 ch mixer fed into the Akai

~Mics~
Apex 450 tube condenser, multi polar
sm58
shure unisphere I
Beyer Dynamic
pzm's
various stands/booms and popper stoppers

~Headphones~
Fostex T-20

Beside home recording I like to remaster my music collection to cd
That includes complete discographies of artist where I made the songs concert pitch A440.
This started with making a Ratt 80 min cd (They were notorious for having tuning all over the place)
Bands like Dream Theater and Vai always record in A440 so that is another reason to love them:)
Frank Zappa's discography is a work in progress, he had several tracks/songs that were sped up, I returned them to A440.
Supertramp used keyboards and yes several of their songs are sped up, hey I just like to be able to play along without retuning.

My guitars are setup for different tunings
E
Eb
D (Motley Crue)
Drop D
Db

Two of the weirdest things I found was "Little Guitars (Intro)" by EVH, this intro was majorly sped up!!! The other was Alice Coopers "Hello Hooray" which has a change in tape playback at mid point of the mastered cd song.

With doing so much home remastering I learned and continue to learn several ways to improve some recordings. I find some songs are too bassy/not enough bass. Too much highs/not enough highs. Hissy (even cds?) And most importantly Too LOUD! or Too WEAK!
Unfortunately there exists no mastering universal protcol and many ppl these days are mastering cds to the point of clipping (digital records to -0db, anything after that is limited and possibly clipped)

8)
Last edited by Rexgtr on Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
worldabomination

Do you make music for a living or are you a plumber ;)

lol

Phil.
Rexgtr

I have to work as a spray painter.
Unfortunately I don't make enough money from music to quit my day job.
UV

I use a PC with Cakewalk home Studio 2002 software. Most of the time I play through a Behringer Vamp2 for recording. The Legacy keeps the kids up!

U
v 8)
death cube k
Newcomer

my home recording lair has, a mac G4 800mhz tibook,a motu 828, cubase sx, dynaudio monitors, shure 58's, sennheiser e609, akg c414.
thats about it for recording i guess, its a cool portable set up and it works for me .
toolofevolution
Newcomer

Sony DMXR 100 for post controller

48 CH RME a/d d/a convertor

Two API 500 series rack pre
24ch millenia hd3v pre
24ch grace 801
Amek 9098
Focusrite Red

2x rme hammerfall 96/52

my outboard are as follows.......i dont need much since i use the powercore and 2xuad1s
sony sre777
eventide 7500

1 pc with cubase sx windows

1 pc with nuendo windows for post

4 extra pcs running VStack and Gigasampler

1 pc for fileserver archive and backups to DVD
1 mac just to have

Midex8
Motif8 ( the people who designed the trition later on designed the motif as an improved board)

hr824s
1032a
argosy 90 series for dmxr 100

mics:

2x414
2xu87
c12
4xsm57
2xsm81
4x421
2xakg d112
2xm150
2xkm184s

ADC patchbays

and a few other mics and various mixers that i use for line mixers and rackmount media players ( dat, adat etc )

paul
Nilsefix

What the hell is up with that cat \ dog .. hahah
i laugh my brains out ;) haha
funny animal
FIEND
Newcomer

My Meek little Studio consists of a Fostex FD-8 Digital 8-Track Crappy monitors :cry: and a whole bunch of Sure mics :D
Junebughunter

My studio is...

Cheap Behringer Mixer...soon to be changed out
2ghz P4 512mb DDR333 ram puter
M-Audio Audiosport Quattro
Logic Audio Platinum 5 (I PAID FOR IT TOO)
Set up cheap drum mics and some shure mics (sm57)
I have a midi controller to control my software and I use that as a synth...much for bang for your buck

I have a ton of other stuff but that is the heart of it
Blair

My setup is basically a 500mhz PC running Cakewalk SONAR 1.0 using:

Yamaha RGX 121
BOSS GT-6
Marshall VS-100R
Mic is some Sure mic/half branded with Realisic (remember Tandy?)

Still cant capture the tone of my amp well... That will come in time.. I think its the mic's fault!
Just stuck recording straight out of my GT-6.... well is is stereo! :wink:

God i need some more equipment!
Blair

:shock: That is one funky looking cat, did it take that picture itself? Or aren't its brains really that big!?!
Rexgtr

You know cats, they learn all wisdom by sense of smell.
I didn't take the picture.
Blair

Your cat is now an attraction.... being my background in windows! It looks very rude with its nose poking out of my screen, it was just aking for it! :roll:
Junebughunter

Blair wrote:Your cat is now an attraction.... being my background in windows! It looks very rude with its nose poking out of my screen, it was just aking for it! :roll:
haha I made it my background too a couple days ago...
Rexgtr

(I use a plain deep blue background, it keeps the system OS cleaner not using pics as advised by Cubase Net.)
But enjoy the funny pic!

When I read that FZ used a Synclaver for sample recording/orchestrating with guitar and computer and it co$t $300k, I drooled. Then I thought f**k wouldn't that be nice to try one out somewhere?...

I view the Kurzweil™ as the most powerful synth sampler.
I also view my guitar synthesizer GK-2A-GR-1/K2500xs as my make shift Synclaver.
I have breath controller input which is wind instrument emulation over any osc/sample/rompler/Program/Setup.
Live Mode allows me to use ribbons and vast synthesis on guitar/vox...
KDFX gives me pro audio FX (4 independant 1 Global all stereo)
Combined with a nice clean guitar or dist it really becomes other worldly, into it's own, the sound is massive.

Midi writing is awesome as you can cleanly edit the string sections, bass synth, or that killer unison synth/guitar lead all from guitar instead of having to play it on a keyboard.

I love playing keyboards, Queen, Bowie, Elton, Chicago... but when recording the two are very different, so I play some keyboards, real bass & or synth bass and midi guitar orchestrations with drum programming.

Real drummers sound much better than programming but then again I'm often asked if it is a drummer or a drum machine? So I do somethings half right.

So much gear I would upgrade to or buy...oh well, gear lust vs. funds eh? :oops: :P