Techniques for.......

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
SPQR

Hi im looking new interesting techniques for the placment of my Mic for capturing my cab sound. Whats the off axis, on axis stuff about. I currently have my 57 set off axis of the cone. As far as i know that gives a bassy,mid range type sound.

Any info gratful
j.arledge

well it is nothing really complicated , some people just place it different to get different effects on the sound the mic records .

as you said off axis (the center of the speaker) as you said tends to have a little more bass/mid

some dudes if they are using a combo amp will mic the front of the amp but also the back , or if they have a back ported cab they will mic the back . they mix the sound like 30 back 70 front or something like that . i havn't done it myself and i am not really sure why or what the exact purpose is .

i read about one dude would mic the front of the cab and then face it toward a wall . then he would put up a peice of ply wood against the wall and put a mic in front of the ply wood . he said it sorta gave a natural reverb effect .

if i do any recording i have my mic set right on the speaker right up aginst the cab .
Mr. Bluesman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtnd6n0t6wU

This should help, but be sure to download the clips from his site.
Axemadman

I was in a studio once. The enigneer set up 4 mics - 1 close at cone, 1 slightly off axis, 1 about 3 foot away and 1 about 10 feet away for room ambience.

Then when we were mixing he'd try all the different mixes until he got the sound he liked.

That way you get 4 sounds on 1 take.
Big Bad Bill

I believe Thin Lizzy sometimes used the 'vortex technique' to record their guitars. They used two larges boards to create a 'funnel' in front of the speaker cab and placed the mic in the middle of the funnel. Might be worth trying!
SPQR

Big Bad Bill wrote:I believe Thin Lizzy sometimes used the 'vortex technique' to record their guitars. They used two larges boards to create a 'funnel' in front of the speaker cab and placed the mic in the middle of the funnel. Might be worth trying!
Yea they did, i was taught by founding member of thin lizzy Eric Bell. At a special 1 month long masterclass
SPQR

Would there be any websites on Micing techniques or related to this.?
leigh01

Here's a cool tip. I not sure if it would be all that good for a cab but any way, what you can do is have one mic, then when someone is playing the gear you want to mic-up, you can lower your head to the speaker and have one ear covered so you can only hear through one ear (because most mics are mono anyway) then you can move your head all round the cone to see which sounds the best to you, there is usually a certain sweet spot for every amp but it also depends on your tastes, give it a go the worst that can happen is that you'd look rediculous or deffen yourself. :lol:
Big Bad Bill

fortheloveofgod wrote:Yea they did, i was taught by founding member of thin lizzy Eric Bell. At a special 1 month long masterclass
Wow-that's amazing. How did you manage to arrange that?
SPQR

Big Bad Bill wrote:
fortheloveofgod wrote:Yea they did, i was taught by founding member of thin lizzy Eric Bell. At a special 1 month long masterclass
Wow-that's amazing. How did you manage to arrange that?
Well in order to be taught at this special one of a kind masterclass, there was a competition in place and each applicant had to submit a 3 song demo of orginal material. So therefore out of 2,000 + people who applied in northern ireland myself and another 3 applicant were chosen.

Was a great experience eric personal level of playing is simalar to vai's he has all little devices he explored himself, you know like tricks and stuff.
pagliai

well this is doubt not a thread 'cause mic placement is a doubt at all.
The doubt is in the rules'cause there is no rules at all,only experience.
In the real illusion session notes you can see vai mic placement and if you 've got the 57 alone that is a great spot.
Another one you can see in anthony garone site while he speaks about mic placement.
The rules at the end are:
1 spectrum analizer
2 a song where there is your best tone (and only the guitar) so you can check the amount of certain frequencies
3 plug up one ear and listen the sweet speaker (any 4x12 's got one better speaker than other)
4 take the mic ,57 or so,and turn around the speaker with a headphone so you can check the spot you like,do it first guitar alone then with the other instruments (you can take a friend and he'll play the part so you can check the sound and move around the mic)
5 you can use the noise of the amp to find the sweet spot when the noise is more clear and rich of high frequencies this is one of the spots
6 when you find it .......photos and when you finish the recording session you can attach to the cone a tape so you'll know where the spot was.
But before tone from the speaker and the great secret of a great mic placement is the room mics 2 condenser at the corners of the room approximately 10/12 feet away from the cab and well .....6 feet high.
You can put another one at the center of the speker at 3 feet away and you can pan them L C R so you cover the stereo spectrum.
You can put a delay doubling on all of them to increase the effect of the room and you can reverse the phase of the 3 feet mic.

Hope this helps
Benjammin105

Dave Weiner has some vids on recording with mics on his site. Pretty good stuff.

get a six pack in a month