Scratchy volume knob?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
bcgvh

I think I have some dirt buildup in my volume pot, I'm getting some "scratching" when I turn it. How can I clean this up myself?
jam-man

Which guitar do you have?
What kind of knob is it?
I have the metal one, like Seve has on EVO, and sometimes it gets a bit loose so it kinda slips towards the guitar body and it's too close to it so it scratches the surface...if that's your case too just lift it a bit and screw it back on.
bcgvh

it's a Peavey Wolfgang with a plastic knob on it and it's not that kind of scratching, it's from inside the pot and it comes through my amp. it's needs to be cleaned, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.
Zeds.Ded

if its a plastic one then more than likely you can just pull it off and clean it, give it go!
NOT!!!

just touch the strings while turning it...
Mr. Wiggles

Ya'll aren't understanding the question. He wants to know how to get rid of the scratchy noise that his volume pot is making when he turns it.

The only way to fix it is get a new one. You've just worn it out is all. Playin too much Cathedral I presume :)
Zeds.Ded

he dosent know if its the pot or the knob itself
guyver_dio

If it's coming through the amp, it's a dirty pot. If you take off the back plate you should be able to find an opening on the pot where you can squirt some contact cleaner into, don't spray too much though. You can also take off the plastic knob and squirt some cleaner around the base of the thread, put the plastic knob back on and turn the knob back and forth a fair few times with the guitar plugged in and see if the scratching resolves itself. If this fails cut your losses and just buy a replacement pot which costs practically nothing.
NOT!!!

Mr. Wiggles wrote:Ya'll aren't understanding the question. He wants to know how to get rid of the scratchy noise that his volume pot is making when he turns it.

The only way to fix it is get a new one. You've just worn it out is all. Playin too much Cathedral I presume :)

if you have passive pickups in your guitar and you turn the volume knob without touching the strings it starts to scratch because the poti is the only thing connected to the earth (through your hand).

If you have active pickups like EMGs it wouldn´t happen.
bcgvh

[quote="guyver_dio"]If it's coming through the amp, it's a dirty pot. If you take off the back plate you should be able to find an opening on the pot where you can squirt some contact cleaner into, don't spray too much though. You can also take off the plastic knob and squirt some cleaner around the base of the thread, put the plastic knob back on and turn the knob back and forth a fair few times with the guitar plugged in and see if the scratching resolves itself. If this fails cut your losses and just buy a replacement pot which costs practically nothing.[/quote]

Yes, I am certain it is a dirty pot and this is what I need to do, is there any particular brand of cleaner that you'd recommend for this little job?
NOT!!!

hi!

did you try my advice first???
bcgvh

Yes, touching the strings (or not) has nothing to do with the scratching, it does it either way. By the sound of it, it is a dirty pot. I went and bought some electrical contact cleaner and tomorrow I'm going to see if it helps.
bcgvh

Yep, the contact cleaner did the trick. :)