restringing?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
jdnmusic

restringing?

#1 Post by jdnmusic » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:41 pm

hey im not sure if this belongs in general music or what...
but anyways i need to know something.
how often do you change your strings?

i change mine [along with cleaning my guitar] at the end of every month assuming i dont break any that month.
so one of those bulk packs from d'addario lasts me a little over 2 years.

but can i get a little longer out of my strings or is it best to just keep changing them at the rate i do?

pagliai

#2 Post by pagliai » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:49 pm

it depends how much you play them and why.If you play 8/10 hours a day you must change them soon or if you play in a studio gigs anydays,live i change them everynight.
But if you play just a little and you don't need to record etc you can change them when the string break 4/5 times or in recessed tremolo when you can recycle them.
if you change them one time in a month mmmmm you play too much little.;) (joke)
hope this helps
Alex

another virtuoso

#3 Post by another virtuoso » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:03 pm

a month is good for the average player.
if you hardly touch it your good for more than that.
like pagliai said, if you spend all day everyday on it, and are playing live you should change them out regularly.

Big Bad Bill

Re: restringing?

#4 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:29 am

jdnmusic wrote:but can i get a little longer out of my strings or is it best to just keep changing them at the rate i do?
Unless you're one of these people who has Alien's acid blood for sweat there's no reason why you shouldn't get much more than a month out of a set of strings, if you clean them after each use and use Fast Fret or something similar. I get a good year out of my strings (Elixir Anti-Rust). I wipe after each playing and apply Fast Fret as per the directions and from time to time I clean the strings with a little alcohol soaked pad (the sort they swab you with before an injection).

What prompts you to change your strings? Are they covered in a brown layer of some sort? Are they going out of tune or losing intonation? Do you change because you just think you should? I'm sure this "change your strings every week/month" is just a way of string manufacturers selling more units. I believe Satch prefers older strings since they sound more mellow than the jagged zing of fresh strings.

Try it-see how long it takes before your strings break or objectively sound rubbish to your ears.

Axemadman

#5 Post by Axemadman » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:35 am

I change my strings every time before playing live. If I'm practising before the next gig I don't bother unless I'm in the studio in which case I change them everyday!

A month of moderate playing should be more than sufficient for fresh strings. If they're breaking during this period I'd get my guitar serviced.

After that its purely preference. I personally like the sound of new strings and I'm also a great believer in stretching in the strings real good. If a string breaks during stretching it was probably gonna break during the gig - that's my philosophy!!
Last edited by Axemadman on Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

guyver_dio

#6 Post by guyver_dio » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:00 am

You're doing really good if you're getting a whole month worth out of strings. I restring every 2 weeks and by then they are mega rusty, and I clean down the whole guitar after every time I play, and I'll always restring before a gig no matter what. It depends on the person playing them, the amount of time you spend playing and the brand of string. People's sweat differs from one person to another and effects them differently. You just have to judge it yourself when the right time to change strings is, if everything you do sounds dull, playing is uncomfortable due to dryness and rust and you're just not happy with how you're guitar is responding then it's time to change strings.

al

#7 Post by al » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:01 am

I have alien acidic sweat :(

jdnmusic

Re: restringing?

#8 Post by jdnmusic » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:59 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
jdnmusic wrote:but can i get a little longer out of my strings or is it best to just keep changing them at the rate i do?
Unless you're one of these people who has Alien's acid blood for sweat there's no reason why you shouldn't get much more than a month out of a set of strings, if you clean them after each use and use Fast Fret or something similar. I get a good year out of my strings (Elixir Anti-Rust). I wipe after each playing and apply Fast Fret as per the directions and from time to time I clean the strings with a little alcohol soaked pad (the sort they swab you with before an injection).

What prompts you to change your strings? Are they covered in a brown layer of some sort? Are they going out of tune or losing intonation? Do you change because you just think you should? I'm sure this "change your strings every week/month" is just a way of string manufacturers selling more units. I believe Satch prefers older strings since they sound more mellow than the jagged zing of fresh strings.

Try it-see how long it takes before your strings break or objectively sound rubbish to your ears.

well i change them to keep them fresh.
its just what i personally like is to have fresh strings.
but if i cant get more than a month out of them i definitely will.

Big Bad Bill

#9 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:52 am

brother al wrote:I have alien acidic sweat :(
Do you have a funny elongated head, telescopic jaws, dripping muscus with that can shoot out of your mouth? Don't worry about it then! :wink:

Zebula77

#10 Post by Zebula77 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:14 am

I try to change my strings more often than I do. As it is, I go maybe three-four months between restringing. And if I break a string I just put it back on (since I put them on with the ball-end at the headstock of the guitar, which means that only a small piece of the string gets broken off each time I break one)

I guess I change them when the lower strings sound really dead. The lighter strings are not that important. I play with a lot of distortion normally, so the fact that they're slightly grimy just makes the sound a little fatter IMO.

Of course, I always change strings a few days before a concert. Never the same day tho, cos I like to sort of 'break them in' for a few days. Totally new strings aren't particularily fun or easy to play, I think.

mr_vai777

#11 Post by mr_vai777 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:22 am

every week without fail. tone is important to me and new strings sound SO good!

the.hell.raiser

#12 Post by the.hell.raiser » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:06 pm

I guess it first depends on your practice routine. Secondarily, how much you sweat, and lastly what your buget is. Cleaning after every practice session and your strings should last a long time. Some musicians play there strings for years without changing and others change every day.

bcgvh

#13 Post by bcgvh » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:43 am

I play about 1-2 hours a day, and I only change them when they break, so usually close to 2 months. I try to wipe off the grime that builds up so I don't experience bad intonation as the strings get older. I like the feel of old strings.

Benjammin105

#14 Post by Benjammin105 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:46 pm

I like a month or so. I haven't had a break in a long time. Never since I switched to Ernie Balls.

Ant711UK

#15 Post by Ant711UK » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:30 pm

I gig twice a week and usually rehearse once every two weeks and I never change my strings unless they break. I don't usually practice with my main guitars though because I'm too lazy to go and take them out of the cases, so I just use whatever is lying around (I have too many guitars!). Been doing that for years and I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've had to reach for the spare guitar at a gig. I may change a set if I swap out a pick up or carry out some other repair but that's about it.

I honestly can't tell the difference between different manufacturers strings, I just buy the cheapest 9-42's around and have no problems at all.

Tony