BBE Sonic Maximizer

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Big Bad Bill

What exactly does the SM do? I know it 'improves your tone' but in what way? Make it more trebly/bassy/middy? How does it work? If you have one, is it worth investing in one?
Real_Confusions

It's definitely worth investing in one.

It just "cleans" up the sound so much. It's like there is a mat over your speakers, right now, and when you "Maximize" it, the obstruction gets removed.
Lo Lo

This is what it does, read link.

http://artbox.inkeys.com/pictures/Ad_546_3.jpg

The pic below is the DI-100 unit I use with my GT-3 setup.
I just bought a 482 dual rack unit for the rack-rig I'm currently building.
I've posted on this many times so search around and you'll find some good info, but in a nut shell........sonically......It's like going from AM radio to FM stereo!!!!!!!!! It made my old Kustom solidstate sound big and full, I dare say tube-likeish. Go to a guitar shop and play through one whilth toggling the on/off switch. You won't believe your hears!!!

daveyz

It just boosts your super-lows, which will get eaten up by the bass guitar, and your super-highs, which will get eaten up by the cymbals. They make your guitar sound great in your bedroom, but aren't practical in a full band mix.
pagliai

that is an exciter it is good to refresh the signal path when you've got long cables or when you play at low volume.You can use it when you play with a huge outboard more and more and more processed or when you check it and you say.......i like it!!!
But you can use long high quality cables(monster cable or di marzio or so...)or high master with loadbox for lower volume ,line mixer and splitter high quality(cae or so)so at the end you 'll use it when............you say iiiiii liiikeeeee iiiiiiit!!!
daveyz

What you need then for long cables is a buffer , axess electronics- the bs 2 buffer - as used by van halen , pertrucci. Great unit for about $120
Lo Lo

Joe Satriani uses a BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer in his studio rack!

I did a tread a while back on how to set the BBE for great sound and a good cut though a live band. Check it: search for 'BBE Sonic Maximizer' authered by Lo Lo.
Big Bad Bill

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all! Thanks guys. I might see if I can hire one for a day and see what I think! By the way how is it connected up to an amp? I have a TC Electronic G Major in my effects loop so how would I get it in there?
daveyz

I would love anyone here to post pic with a "pro" guy with a bbe in his rig..If you need a bbe , buy a better amp.. How much more high end and bass do ya need!!
Lo Lo

daveyz wrote:I would love anyone here to post pic with a "pro" guy with a bbe in his rig..If you need a bbe , buy a better amp.. How much more high end and bass do ya need!!
http://artbox.inkeys.com/pictures/Ad_672_13.jpg
daveyz

sure , I have racks of gear in my studio too , doesn't mean i use them all .. how about some live rig pics.
Lo Lo

The studio stuff you hear on the CD's is BBE, most artists use less-than-studio equipment on stage, but BBE now has a stomp-box version. Try one.....If you don't like it.........Don't like it!.........If you do.........Share it with others! :)
Vaiagra

The BBE sonic maximizer plugin really gave one of my compositions character and intensity. It made everything sound "richer" and less thin.

I'll definately be adding the rack version to my guitar rig when I get some more dough.

Highly recommended.
Lo Lo

Amen!
Big Bad Bill

So Steve uses a BBE DI-1000?

As sson as my credit card arrives, I'm buying one. Unsurprisingly I ccan get one from the USA for £134 (including shipping) whereas they're £219 here in the UK!

One thing though, should I get the 882i with balance jacks or the 482i without balanced jacks? I'd be using it with my 5150 amp head and speaker with a TC Electronic G major going into the FX loop of the amp