Carvin Legacy VL100 Reviews

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
guyver_dio

Carvin Legacy VL100 Reviews

#1 Post by guyver_dio » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:17 pm

I think I remember seeing a few reviews on the forums but my search results found nothing so I'll just ask. Could anyone link me to any good reviews on the Carvin Legacy VL100 that aren't biased (meaning not reviews directly from Carvin or people that bad mouth it because they don't like vai), or if anyone can direct me to where some of the reviews are on this forum that would be really helpful. My current choice of amps in mind are the Peavey JSX, Marshall TSL100 and the Carvin Legacy. This may look like I'm only choosing an amp purely because of the artists I'm into but the reason is that I don't have access to these amps to be able to try them (music shop here freakin sucks). So I've basically made these choices based on previous reviews I've read, soundclips and what I read from this great resourceful forum.

If anyone would like to give there own input on what they think about any of these three amps (e.g. what they think is better out of the 3 and why) that would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm pretty much sold on the idea of getting the Legacy but one thing plagues my mind...I've read a lot about people purchasing the legacy only to have it breaking down over a short period. Could anyone give there thoughts about this and maybe shed some light on the subject as it's really the only thing stopping me from going ahead and purchasing this amp. Is this a common problem and what is their durability like compared to other amps.

Thanks

daveyz

legacy

#2 Post by daveyz » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:32 pm

It's a great amp , great clean sounds , great leads sounds .. It doesn't do the metal chuggin all that well .. I have toured over in Ozz before , I couldn't believe the prices on gear!!! I bought mine In the hollywood store.. And it blew up while demoing it ....No Joke they fixed it and shipped it up to me in toronto

guyver_dio

#3 Post by guyver_dio » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:53 pm

Your right about that, the prices here are ridiculous, to get the carvin legacy through a retailer here is going to cost me AUD$3698 in total, whereas if I buy it direct from carvin it will cost approximately AUD$1800 plus shipping cost depending on when i buy (currency converting etc...). That story about it blowing up doesn't sound to promising lol, especially living here where I'll have to ship it back overseas if something does go wrong.

Ant711UK

#4 Post by Ant711UK » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:25 am

I have two VL100's and I've had the Combo too (sold it because it's just too heavy)

I bought a VL100 head new and within a year two of the valves had died and the transformer had blown. The shop cured the valve problem but a few months later the transformer died. I couldn't resolve the transformer problem with the shop as they had stop dealing with Carvin by then. I spoke to Carvin direct and they sent out a transformer the me in the UK within 5 days. I had a local amp tech fix it and upgrade the surge protection fuse and it's been fine ever since.

My other VL100 has been absolutely fine but I don't gig with it I just use it in my rehearsal room and as a back up for big gigs.

I use a DS-1 for rock/ryhthm/blues on the clean channel and I just step on the lead switch for solo's leaving the DS-1 on. I have the lead channel set to medium gain and the DS-1 adds just enough to push it to the sound I like.

Clean is great but I use a compressor to hold the guitar back for ultra clean funk rhythm or else it breaks up a bit.

I've had loads of amps including a mesa triaxis rig and I think the legacy sounds better than everything I've used before.

Getting Carvin stuff in the UK is a pain but until something comes along that sounds better than my Legacy I'll be sticking with it and hoping I don't have too many more problems.

Tony

EyE

#5 Post by EyE » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:54 am

Really would like to have a Legacy Combo amp (if I had the money for it :? ). They are priced for €1500,- here in Holland. And I just found a guy who is selling one for €999,-. Damn!! If I just had the cash for it. Who knows! Maybe one day. :wink:

*theanimal*05

#6 Post by *theanimal*05 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:31 am

i live in sydney and saved over a year for a half stack. cost me a mint but i reckon there would only be a handful of guys in australia witht his amp so it makes me feel unique.
its a beast.
loud and powerful tone. truly amazing at times.

guitarman13

#7 Post by guitarman13 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:54 am

I just got a Legacy half stack, and all I can say is WOW. It sounds so good! Harmonics come through like butter, and the tone is so smooth, and it's not to brittle sounding like other amps (that's one of the things Mr. Vai was aiming for when he designed it). It's very loud though, I'll probably have to buy and attenuator. But, after trying the JSX and some other amps in that price range, I thought the Legacy blew them away. It's an awesome amp, especially for the price. You can't beat it.

Samuele

#8 Post by Samuele » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:53 am

Wanted some reviews? There you go:

From Carvin's website:
- Magazine reviews:
http://www.carvin.com/reviews_comments/legacyrev.html
- Users reviews (scroll down page):
http://www.carvin.com/comments/comments.php?CID=GA

A few other reviews you can find with a simple search on the net:
http://www.vintageguitar.com/gear/details.asp?ID=53
http://www.guitarists.net/gear/view.php?id=257
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... and/Carvin

Keep in mind that your ears are the best judge, though. :wink:
http://www.carvin.com/vai/ (Steve's audio demo is on that page)

P.S.: Steve's Legacy tone is my favorite guitar tone ever.

guyver_dio

#9 Post by guyver_dio » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:25 pm

Thanks samuele, the feedback from harmony central are exactly what I'm looking for.

murtaugh
Newcomer

Re: Carvin Legacy VL100 Reviews

#10 Post by murtaugh » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:24 pm

guyver_dio wrote:t I don't have access to these amps to be able to try them (music shop here freakin sucks). So I've basically made these choices based on previous reviews I've read, soundclips and what I read from this great resourceful forum.

Thanks
Hello everyone, this is my first message :D it's cool isn't it ?

More seriously guyver_dio I do think you have to try those amplifiers !
Give you one day to go in another shop cause if you receive an amp wich finally sounds bad for you you'll be like that :evil: :evil: :cry: :evil:

think in me, it's the better solution, the most sure

(sorry for the mistakes, I'm french and I'm learning English at school...

slash89

#11 Post by slash89 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:01 pm

Hi Murtaugh! Hope you'll enjoy the forum and all the nice people here :)

Peace,
Kristian :)

SPQR

#12 Post by SPQR » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:37 pm

nice stuff man how much the legacy cost you

murtaugh
Newcomer

#13 Post by murtaugh » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:09 am

fortheloveofgod wrote:nice stuff man how much the legacy cost you
this queston is for me ?

SPQR

#14 Post by SPQR » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:36 am

lol me too, i like those amps alot

Balok1
Newcomer

Hey steve is there anyway to...Legacy Head

#15 Post by Balok1 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:34 pm

Hey steve is there anyway to get your marketing Group to allow sales of your Legacy Amp Head at American music Supply , Americanmusical.com ?

as the Legacy Amp Line is marketed as an affordable item for the Average joe , it is unfortunatly not , as the finance institution carvin uses will not finance for the average joe , even after working at a Major Private College full time for the last 13 years i am turned down , However american music has an awesome payment plan that allows 3 or 5 payments on items through any credit card , which the average joe usually CAN get , which will allow Me and countless others to procure This awesome Legendary All Tube Amp Head , that i know i am dying for but cannot get my hands on one , which of course will increase SALES and Profit , or maybe carvin can implement this same kind of payment deal through any credit card , i know that i would do this even if i had to wait till the Legacy was completely paid for before recieving it , basically any help to get more of these Awesome Amps out to the Average Joe Would Be Most Excellent , if not than i guess i will just keep saving my pennies and then maybe when i am old and grey i will finally have saved enough to make the purchase , but only to find that i am too late and time waits for no one , or worse i might have to buy an inferior product :( , Oh and by the way i saw you in pleasanton CA with Petrucci and it was the most Awesome Guitar playing i Have ever seen :), Thank You for that , Take care , Keep playing , signed :Kite