Affordable amp?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
jem-mojo
Newcomer

what amp thats under or at $200 will get you that vai tone. i am going to put evolution pickups in my floyd rose guitar to get closer to that vai tone. So any help will be appriciated
Real_Confusions

A Line 6 modeling amp.
jemgirl

indeed..you know those spider series.
or......save some bucks and get youreself a legacy :P
SPQR

Get a Marshall 15 CDR, its a vey very small amp however buy yourself a modded keely ds-1 and i would say thats your $200 budget in place.

You get close for to the vai tone however you know what they say so close yet so far aways, your gona need a lot of money to get his proper tone, and there is his fingers ull need them as well lol
jem-mojo
Newcomer

where can i buy one of those modded ds-1's at?
Vivid

Don't buy a Marshall MG series please. They're one of the worst amps money can buy comparatively speaking. Roland and Vox do much better amps in that range.

I wouldn't put so much effort into getting the Vai tone and treating that as the be all and end all as well because you're never gonna get it with that money and chasing after somebody else's tone so you can do an impression of them isn't what it's about.

Get yourself a decent axe and a Roland Cube or save up a bit more for a Vox Valvetronix. They're modeling amps so you'll get a bit of variety and from that you can then get an idea of the sound you want when you get into it a bit more an wanna spend a bit more money. Besides, they'll get you the closest to a Vai type tone for that kind of money anyway.

The modded DS1's are pretty good though.

Hope that helps :D
Shade

Look into some of the Vox modeling amps. They definently have some very usable tones and IMO is heads above some of the other amps you can get in that price range.

Crate amps are also good bang for your buck, especially if you use a FX processor in front of it. I know some people scorn Crate, but I find you can get a pretty usable tone after you do some tweaking.

You can also get some pretty good sounds out of line6 amps, but as far as a Vai tone...IDK you could definently get a smooth lead tone that was Vai-ish..but yeah.

Good luck!

PS: You could get a much much much better amp if you increased your budget to the 200-300ish range.
bancika

fortheloveofgod wrote:Get a Marshall 15 CDR, its a vey very small amp however buy yourself a modded keely ds-1 and i would say thats your $200 budget in place.
I don't agree for it, no solid state overdrive into MG will take you anywhere close to vai's tone. Have MG15DFX, tried it but it just doesn't do it. It has enough gain by itself, but it's not smooth. Try getting some king of tube overdrive. VOX has launched a line of tube overdrive pedals, and they are very cheap (here in Serbia they cost 120eu new). I don't think you 'll achieve nice tone without nice overdriven tubes.

I also think that you shouldn't be trying to replicate someone's tone. You can use it as a guide, but try to make your own.

Cheers
Lucky

Go to ebay and type in..."Crate Vintage Club". Another $50-$100 will have you in the ballpark. If you absolutely can't swing that...I agree with Shade and Vivid on the Vox Valvetronics amps. For $200 you should have plenty for the 15 watt combo.

I still recommend the Vintage Club first, for the ultimate low-budget fat lead tone. My little 15 watt combo gets some very Vai-ish lead sounds. I've had it for ten years and that baby is stayin with me. :P
the_1570

For the Love of GOD, DO NOT get a Line 6 Spider or any Marshall that isn't all tube.

The MG series SUCKS!
miker

For a straight up $200 practice amp? Roland Cube... nothing in that price can touch it. Very nice. Actually... it's even less than $200...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=480023