Paul Gilbert's tone

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
norway_guitarist

I know what gear Gilbert uses, and I believe his distortion comes straight out from his Laney GH100L, but are there any other pedals that might achieve just about the same sound?
Listen to this solo for example: http://savefile.com/files/108315
jam-man

norway_guitarist

Thank you, but as far as I can see he doesn't use any overdive/distortion pedals at all. So, if he only use the amp-head, are there any pedals that sounds close to his Laney sound?
Zebula77

I remember reading in an interview with Paul, that he had an affinity for super-overdrive sounds. Like distortion on top of distortion. He said he like having an almost uncontrollable sound. I don't know if that helps. just thought I'd point that out. :wink:
Igor

that's the cahin he describes on Space Ship Live dvd, if i remember correctly.

the GH is cranked FULL on though..

FAIK the pups are also wired in paralel, which would describe the "quacky" tone
j.arledge

to me paul gilberts tone is the tone zone run through a high gain british style amp with a lot presence . Bass around 7 mid around 5 and highs around 7.5

i know he is using the paf pros more now but the tone zone is the pickup i think that gets you closer to his sound in a box then anything .
norway_guitarist

Thank you.. But there aren't any other stomb-boxes that might create the same sound?
Igor

no. not that i know of.

on one of his records, i know he says the sound he got was a tone zone, direct into the GH100, cranked into oblivion and that's all there was.
Real_Confusions

Didn't he or doesn't he use the Big Muff series?
Ant711UK

I was at a PG clinic and some guy asked what he uses for his sound.
He went on to talk about Laney (he was demonstrating about four of their amps) and the guy asked what pedals he had on the floor in front of him. He said 'Oh just a bunch of stuff I use for boosts and delay'. Seeing as he was there demonstrating Laney amps he didn't really go into detail about the pedals.

I went down to the stage after the clinic and the pedal he'd been stomping on was an unmodded Boss DS-1.

I actually enjoyed his clinic more than some other players gigs I've been to.
He played down to Mexico on this tiny little amp and it sounded awesome (it was miked up though). He's a really funny guy and kept the audience entertained throughout.

Tony
norway_guitarist

Thanks alot for your help.
I have a DS-1 myself so maybe with some tweaking I can come up with a decent sound ;)
Pi2plank

i have a Mr. Big dvd ( i think it was the best of Mr. Big ) & in one of those clips the cam took a look at his pedals while PG said what the secret to his tone was... and if i'm not mistaken, it was a "screaming tree" distortion?, but dont take my word for it, i have to watch that dvd again..& btw i'm talking about the mr.big tone, right now he probably uses just the amp head od...

PG is really funny...here's some Q&A from his site (btw his site is also funny as hell cause its like a late 80's or early 90's website)

Q: Will you tour with G3?
A: I've been making so many new albums, so I haven't had much time for touring. And right now I'm starting another album! I want to get out on the road eventually, on my own, or maybe with G3. We'll see!

Q: What does the Racer X song "Y.R.O." stand for?
A: Yngwie Rip Off.

Q: Are you Buckethead?
A: No. I am not Buckethead.
But in 9th grade I was Pete Willis from Def Leppard.
Guitarmiester

Get an ADA MP1 if you like his Racer X and his solo album tones. He used to use an MP1 a while ago, once he switched to Laney's, he's been using the amps distortion and most likely putting an OD in front of it. If you watch his Space Ship One DVD, the only pedals he uses are a phase 90, wah, and footcontroller for his amp.

By the way, the ADA MP1 is a rack unit (tube preamp). I recently bought one - ADA MP1 Mod4 MKII. I'm currently recording rhythm and tone clips on a soundclick page, I'll post the link soon so you can check it out.