seymour duncan

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
llamahead

what are your opinions on seymour duncan pickups? more specifically the HH777 :wink:
Rachmaninoff

I'm a fan of the '59 model (neck) + JB (bridge) combination.
I've used a guitar with a Hot Rails for times, but its clean is terrible... so I dropped it.
I never heard the HH777, sorry...
Igor

HH777???

wtf is that supposed to be?
llamahead

Rach you should be familiar with this one becuase its mostly in brazil. but its a really heavy pickup
ricardo_impellitteri

i have an ibanez guitar equiped with a dimarzio steve's special for bridge, and a SD sh-2 jazz model for neck, they're great pickups for the sound that i like, but sometimes when i'm playing some exercises from an instructional video the SD makes some noise i think it's caused by tv or something like that, then i switch to my dimarzio and it's totally free from that noise
bancika

it's probably not shielded...luckily DiMarzios are shielded :)
Igor

i'm still curious as to which pickup this is, as i have no recolection of duncan EVER making a pickup with that label.

more info and pics would be apretiated
lydian7

I replaced my bridge Evo pup with a Duncan JB and I totally regret it. The JB is quite a nice pickup, don't get me wrong, but it's just way too trebly to be of any use (especially when played through a Boogie Mark amp). I've got my sights on a Tom Anderson H3 pup next.

Go for an Anderson or a Dimarzio, Duncans are more suited to vintage rock. I don't know, maybe that's your bag though baby?
lydian7

ricardo_impellitteri wrote:i have an ibanez guitar equiped with a dimarzio steve's special for bridge
How r'you finding that? I was going to go for the Steve Special due to its cut in mids.
Renge

Well as a long time SD player I'll argue in the opposite direction of the Dimarzio guys.

Don't mistake Dimarzio though, the Air Norton, Tone Zone, Evo, Evo2, Paf Pro, Fred, Steve's Special are fantastic pickups. I had an evo in the bridge of my main ax (an alvarez clone of an ibanez reb beach model) and I loved the hell out of it.

The reason I switched is the evo left very little dynamically. It works alot more like dropping a rock in a pond and uses the amp as the water, making a dynamic amp the top priority. It cuts wonderfully, but loses it's edge far to quickly with lower gain settings and when you mess with the tone knob you get mudd really reall fast. It's just not broad enough a sound to get the most out of the entire rige.

But, for what it does, it's amazing.

These days I play a JB Jr in the neck of the alvarez fatstrat copy and a jb in the bridge with a fender neck/middle noiseless single coil in the mid position which works pretty well. It's a little brite and way tinny sounding, but it's adjustable through the amp.

The new guitar I bought, I tracked down on JemSite. Jem77BFP, and I'll be retrofitting it with two JB's and a dimarzio Fast Track I in the mid. Jems are way versitle with their set ups, so instead of the stupid low action I'll bring it up a few thousandths of an inch, do an intonation check and then plug into a legacy or an X60B head that I have access too locally and see if it grabs me. If not, theres still the marshal and mesa amps to monkey with.

I have the nagging suspicion that I'll wind up deapth modding a fender hot rod deville 212 and then use the boss mega distortion and ibanez tube screamer to find the base tone for lead.

The reason i hope the mesa boogie road works out is because I'd rather have a three channel amp than a two channel amp.

When Vai plays he's got 3 heads stacked together most of the time, to allow for three clean and three dirty to choose from, allowing the multiple tone changes to be much more seamless when performing as well as keeping his effects chains untangled.

Bottom line for me with choosing the JB is I can adjust the tone on that thing with a good amp setup and be fx free and still have a great base tone even on a stupid old vintage boutique amp with one channel. To me thats the pinnicle of tone, a single channel you can feel completely comfortable with, pick hard and it's -hard- tone you get, soft and sweet, and she sings like an angel. Thats what I get out of a JB.

Yes, it's not sheilded, but it's easy to take care of that. Ever guitar I buy I sheild the pickups even if they are sheilded, sheild paint the pickup cavities, the spring cavitey, the wire cavits, tone cavities, input jack, everything. I buy the best cables I can find, fender protone, mogami, monster cable - whatever is available where I am at the time. That in mind, I LOVE the JB.

But I still love evo's, steve specials and paf pro's - awesoem pickups, just not for me =)
Igor

i had a JB for years.. i thought it's the best pickup on the face on the planet.. then i found out bareknuckle pickups.

but i would still like to know what the hell a HH777 is.
lydian7

My JB sounded quite sweet, but was way too grating and treble-heavy for my Mark IV amp. I could cut the treble in my amps EQ, but if you're familiar with the Mark IV then you'd be aware that increasing the trebles is what gives the amp most of its gain and sweet lead tones.

The JB is a great pup to play through Marshalls and the like, but a bad choice for Mark amps.
Renge

lydian7 wrote:My JB sounded quite sweet, but was way too grating and treble-heavy for my Mark IV amp. I could cut the treble in my amps EQ, but if you're familiar with the Mark IV then you'd be aware that increasing the trebles is what gives the amp most of its gain and sweet lead tones.

The JB is a great pup to play through Marshalls and the like, but a bad choice for Mark amps.
Yeah, JB is pretty trebbely at times, but if you're using a 1k pot on your tone knob you can tame it down just a bit. Thats what i do *l*

Thats good to know about the mark IV cause i was lookin at getting one. I'm going to have to look into the exstacy and legacy more now.
Igor

oh man, the markIV is one hell of a beastly amp!!!

i'd love to have one!
llamahead

here are some good examples of the HH777 http://ozielzinho.com.br/down_videos2.php
there is a video cover of andy timmons' "groove or die" when he first got the pickups and also another video cover for you Vai fans and

:shock: ALL HAIL AND BOW DOWN :shock: http://ozielzinho.com.br/videos/O%20DUE ... CLONES.wmv

wouldnt it be cool if this kid and vai played together like this?