Setup Help

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Real_Confusions

Okay, I have a Line 6 POD XT Live and want to run it through my Mesa head's effects loop.

Right now, I have the signal from the head sent to a BBE Sonic Maximizer, then to a rack EQ, before going back to the head.

My question is this: where in the loop should the POD go? Or should it go in the front input of the head?

I may also need to point out that I'm running the speaker of my Marshall combo to a 4ohm slot, on the back of the head. I have an 8ohm input available, should I use it? There's also a "direct" input on the back of the head, with what appears to be a volume knob specifically for that channel.

And what does the "A" and "B" switch do (I got the head used, so I have no manual)?

Thanks for all your help.
another virtuoso

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm
theres an online version of mesa boogie manuals if that help you any
Real_Confusions

another virtuoso wrote:http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm
theres an online version of mesa boogie manuals if that help you any
Hey, thanks! In the manual it says to run the effects board through the front input, between the guitar and head...lol. But, in the POD manual, it says it's best to run through the effects loop. :S

I still don't know what to do.

I also have an overdrive and noise suppressor (both stompboxes). I figure they should go through the front input, like a wah, though?
jemgirl

hey real,
you must try both options..imao,in the front of the amp,the podxt sounds better.
also make sure you set the podxt in studio quality!
Real_Confusions

jemgirl wrote:hey real,
you must try both options..imao,in the front of the amp,the podxt sounds better.
also make sure you set the podxt in studio quality!
Thanks a lot, I'll be sure to try that tomorrow.
Real_Confusions

I'll take more suggestions. Unless of course, I somehow managed to stump the Vai.com forum? :)
Real_Confusions

No more ideas, ay?
EL-CeeDee
Newcomer

I'm ot very familiar wit the XT live. However, as a general rule it depends on the preamp you're using.
If you use the Mesa's, put the XT in the effect loop.
If you use the XT's put the XT in front OR
Connect the XT only to amps return and plug guitar into XT
With that last option you're just using the mesa as a poweramp.

I'm not fond of the Xt's preamp section so :
My advice would be to connect the XT in the fx loop and disable preamp features on it ( bypass if possible ). using only fx (chorus, delay, verb, etc. )

The stomps go in front of the preamp, so their place depends on your preference from the above.

My advice, stomps before the amps input.
Last edited by EL-CeeDee on Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lydian7

don't run the pod through the front of the amp, the signal will become distorted when playing the dirty channel. Always use the effects loop for effects, unless you plan to play your amp using only the clean channel. Even then the effects loop provides the purest signal for your delay, phasers ect.

If you're using it as a pre-amp for distortion, then you can put it in the front. If you use it mostly for effects leaving the amp to give you distortion, then put it in the effects loop like Steve and many others do.
gtrdr

As the PodXT has three output modes it can be connected either to the input of the head or to the effects return. (The third option is to run at line level into a mixer or recorder etc.)

As the PodXT is a bone fide preamp in its own right you don't really want to run it through the front end of any head or combo...(you'll be basically preamping your signal twice if you think about it)...it will give you its best results plugging it into the effects return.

This does mean that you'll be running your Mesa purely as a power amp.

There's "pros" & "cons" to anything...and Boogies are no exception....

Mesa-Boogie "pros": some of their amps will give you Kirk Hammet's lead tone.

Mesa-Boogie "cons": some of their amps will give you Kirk Hammet's lead tone.

[Did I just type that out loud?! :wink: :lol: ]

The PodXT will give you great tones IF you take the time to get comfortable with it, ok?

Have fun with it!!!

Steve.
Real_Confusions

The problem's been resolved! Thanks for everyone's help!