Best 400$ amp

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
xxxYNGWIExxx

I am looking for a new amp in 400$ price range, Any suggestions? I have been to Guitar Center and the only one i found so far is this one vvvv
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=487787
What do you guys think of this amp?>
And what amps do you recomend?
j.arledge

a tone blaster . used peavey xxl combo.

shop around check ebay your bound to find a good deal somewhere on a nice amp.

crates are for shipping stuff in , not amps . :lol:
xxxYNGWIExxx

Jra2217 wrote:a tone blaster . used peavey xxl combo.

shop around check ebay your bound to find a good deal somewhere on a nice amp.

crates are for shipping stuff in , not amps . :lol:
LOL man why does everyone hate Crate amps. I ve used many of the higher end Crate tube amps and the higher end solid state amps and i really like them. I dont know what it is but people all ways say there shit?
j.arledge

i am just messing with you , crates are ok , they should be i belive crate is the number one selling amp company . I guess they get a bad rap for because they are less expensive and are sort of labeled as begginer amps . I have heard good stuff about the new look vintage series .

anyways the best advice is to just shop around , maybe look at some reviews , but you'll never know till you try it for yourself .
tambokgt

xxxYNGWIExxx wrote:I am looking for a new amp in 400$ price range, Any suggestions? I have been to Guitar Center and the only one i found so far is this one vvvv
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=487787
What do you guys think of this amp?>
And what amps do you recomend?
depends...what kind of music are you into?
RAR!

$400 wont buy you much.

IMO, your wasting your money. Learn some PATIENCE. . .save up more, and you can get a great tube amp. If you blow your $400 now on some crate, your screwed. The max you could get for that amp if you wanted to turn around and sell it (and you WILL . . .want to turn around and sell it) you will only get abour $200 for it, due to Crate's low resale value, and then your THAT much farther away from getting what you REALLY want: a good amp.

And DONT go the 30w blues tube amp route either,(Peavey Classic, Fender Blues, Crate V. .any of those small tube amps) unless you play nothing but blues or Jazz. They have WEAK overdrive, with a voicing that is suitable for blues and thats about it. If you play rock, you need a 50-100w EL34 or 6L6 powered high gain amp. Dont assume that you can get a EL84 powered Peavey Classic 30, throw a pedal in front of it, and expect a good tone, they aren't voiced for high gain and it just doesnt work well at all.

I used to own a Peavey Classic 30 and a Boss ME-50 as well as some random Overdrive and Distortion boxes I experimented with. It sounded ok in my room after some tweaking, but gigging was a disaster. I wouldn't steer you away from it if it was good. . .I may seem pessimistic and anal about amps, but. . .I actually am trying to help you, and keep you from making the long line of gear purchases that I made. I never knew what I really needed. The Peavey Classic 30 is very good at what it does: Clean and a bit of blues dirty. Anything outside of blues or jazz doesn't sound right. I wish somebody would have outright told me like Im doing now, not to piss my money away on cheap $400 amps and a bunch of terrible Boss pedals.

Why does everyone hate Crate amps?
Because they're crap. Its not blind prejudice. . .there IS a reason why people hate them.
xxxYNGWIExxx

Hey thanks man im probly not going to buy that amp anymore. But i really dont want to bother with a tube amp, they seem like they are all ways breaking down and need new tubes, Is repalcing the tubes really an issue with tubes amps? Like how often do they need to be replaced? And is there an all a round good solid state amp. I know DimeBag Darrel used a solid state amp for a long time and you cant coplain about his tone.
RAR!

xxxYNGWIExxx wrote:Hey thanks man im probly not going to buy that amp anymore. But i really dont want to bother with a tube amp, they seem like they are all ways breaking down and need new tubes, Is repalcing the tubes really an issue with tubes amps? Like how often do they need to be replaced? And is there an all a round good solid state amp. I know DimeBag Darrel used a solid state amp for a long time and you cant coplain about his tone.
Bother? Nah.

Break Down? tube amps dont break down any more than solidstate amps. That all depends on the amp quality, which varies dramatically from amp to amp on an individual basis.

You dont need to buy tubes all the time. There is alot of discussion about tubes on the internet, but thats just because alot of people want desperately to have godly tone. Tubes make a difference in sound, but not a real massive difference. The thing to do, is just put some good tubes in your tube amp when you get it, and you should be good for about 2 years if you gig regularly at loud volumes, or you can get ALOT longer use out of tubes if you dont gig all that often and just jam at the house.

People really worry too much about tubes. Just stick 'em in and play yer damn geetar.

If you always make sure your amp is hooked up to the right impedence, make sure it doesnt get submerged or dropped by your drummer, you should have no problems with a tube amp. Common sense and handling your gear with care will go a long way.

Dimebag had a pretty gross tone, IMO, but it was grungy and matched the music.
Lotus Eater

Gotta go with the Vox AD30 VT!
Total tone machine for that price-