wow, this is a bit embarssing

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
endor

ok, it seems ive got a proablem, i hate changing strings on a guitar, and well, i seem to ahve this proablem, se i just put new guitar strings on my acoustic , but im afraid that ill break the strings if i tune it up to the designated point, (tune G string to G) I doyn know why butn i keep thinking im gonna break thew string, and like ive done it befor on my one elctric, and i stretch them and put them on properly, i give it slack, I just dont know, is there any steps, hel;p please, O and there martin super light strings
Moderator777

Yes I know what you mean. Whenever I tune up my acoustic with new strings I turn my head and expect a snap. I have very rarely broke a string due to tuning, but I have taken damage from some whipping strings. The tension on the string is not what you expect if you tune up an electric with a floating bridge. I always recommend turning the guitar away from your face so you don't get snapped by a string just in case there is a flaw in it. If you buy good quality acoustic strings you won't have a problem with breakage as long as you don't overtune.

The strings are made to handle the tension. As long as you don't over-extend the tension, you shouldn't have a problem bringing it into standard tune.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
endor

wow, thanks man, im really just like, afraid of tuning it, im sure the superlights can andle the tension, but i mean, i dunno, i might be ballsy enough to try it, but i might be able to con somone into it too, :twisted:

wow, i suck

Alex,
guyver_dio

i do exactly the same thing, just look away when tuning it up so if a break does happen, it won't take an eye out or something lol.

When tuning my acoustic i'm more worried about the pegs flying out as i start putting on the tension because they sometimes making creaking noise as more tension is applied. I've never had one pop out though and i've never had a string break on the acoustic while tuning up either.
Pom-Bear

yeh i tried tuning my friends accousitc a while back and it was proper stiff and i was scared it was gonna snap off and break lol it was a nylon i think as well

the worst scenario in my opinion from personal experience is making a bend and the string snapping being old and rusty after bein on for a month or 2 and it snaped off and gets lodged into ur finger.. now that is annoying
The Wolf

here's the worst case scenario for this: once I was tuning an old acoustic of mine and the neck snapped off in my hand. It was a piece of crap guitar.
Cozi101

lol, way to instill confidence. :lol:
McTastyfrets

Most guitar strings are designed so that when they snap, they won't injure you. I'm sure there has been some bloodshed though.... :lol:
bcgvh

Don't be a puss......:D
endor

I actually tunes ity a while back boys, but i havnt been on in a while, so, yeah i just took some balls and tunes it, mejh, it aint so bad, lol
VaiMania
Newcomer

you will have no probelms with quality strings
beckontosleep
Newcomer

i have a couple scars (some bigger than others) from strings snapping and hitting my hand.....none to the face tho... i'll hope to avoid that entirely :P
-Rhaab
Newcomer

acoustics are scary to change strings hah
whats even more scary is if the string slips, that freaks me out alot