Legacy Combo or Half Stack

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
MidwayCreature
Newcomer

Im not sure as, theres not that much price difference between them. im not sure i need all the power of ther half stack either as i think that itll be too loud for the band or for practice and ill end up selling it. however i think the combo might be a good idea for transportation and also itll probably do most gigs. but its the tone im after, can someone give me a hand out?
johnny boy

well, i have the combo, and it sounds great, although it's the heaviest thing on the planet, so it's not really as great for transport as you'd think
MidwayCreature
Newcomer

ahh i see. hmm but then again its probably lighter than the half stack for definite!!

thanks for your reply
jemgirl

yup dude,go for the combo!
i`ve tryed one at the franfurter-messe...and it sounds soo cool.
once i have the money?? i`ll buy me a legacy.
hmm...would be cool a legacy next to my mesa boogie 8) :wink:
Shade

It's really personal preference.

Although it's kinda bulky, the halfstack is just more to keep up with. Some may feel differently. But a combo just feels more geared towards "plug in and play."

And if you need more volume, get the ext. Cabinet for it and you have basically the same thing as the halfstack.

I'd say go with the combo.
RAR!

A combo will be easier for transport, definately. It wont push quite as much air as a stack, naturally, but it will be about as loud directly in front of the speaker.

All in all, it wont be that much louder than the 2x12 combo. It will have twice as many speakers running, which will give the sound more "Cut" rather than volume, the sound will be much more pronounced and "out there."

When you gig, your amp is mic'd and controlled by the PA so you dont have to worry about a massive amp so much.

I have 2 halfstacks in my room, and I love having a 4x12 so much that I dont mind hauling the whole damn thing around.
MidwayCreature
Newcomer

ok thanks for all your replies guys, so there wont be that much difference in tone, but more "cut" right?
beyondthenotes712

I would suggest getting the Legacy head with the 2x12 cabinet. Sure it's a little more money, but you would get even easier portability than the combo plus the flexibility of maybe later easily changing different cabinets for different uses 8)
MidwayCreature
Newcomer

hmmmmm

yeah i see what you mean. man this is soo annoying!! its nearly as annoying as getting into a strict alternate picking routine!!!
hmmm im really not sure, hmmmm i guess i could use my current amp at band practice, the legacy half stack at home and at Gigs.... yeah that would probably work but then about the mamount of power power i would get blowing away the windows... hmmm
Igor

half stack...

unles you are being restricted by size.

once you play through one, at gig volumes, you will know why.
*theanimal*05

half stack looks awesome on stage.

My legacy is soooo loud(i have the half stack).

My legacy is in one room and i play in another and the volume is only on 3 and it shakes the room.