legacy problem

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
*theanimal*05

hi

I usually have my legacy half stack around 3 to 4 on the volume.
When i play i can hear something rattling inside the head everytime i hit the strings or hit the guitar.
So i opened up the back and everything seemed to be secure.

except for this box that has some sort of springs in it. the people who have a legacy will know the springs in the back of the head im talking about. they are inside that grey metallic box suspended from the roof of the amp head.

Can someone tell me if these springs are whats rattling and how to fix them. I know the tubes are fine so please if anyone could tell me what that rattling sound is and how to fix it.

cheers
knarfzednem

The box on above the tubes is the reverb tank. You may be experiencing some sort of tube rattle, which would make sense if you keep the amp on top of your cab with it up that loud.
I experienced something similar to this a while ago. I think my problem may be the tubes. But ever since I started putting my amp on the side of my cab, on a keyboard stand, it has stopped doing this.
I suggest you get the amp checked out by a tech. Good luck!
bkornaker1977

is the spring rattle being picked up and amplified through the spekaers when your volume is that high? Only reason i ask is......at higher volumes, the legacy is a meat monster....and WILL rattle those springs inside. But if you have your volume at 4, and the reverb knob is set down to zero....and for some reason the spring rattle is being picked up and amplified through the speakers, yes...you have a problem.

start by doing this, do some tube swapping in the pre amp tubes. Swich the tubes labled V1, V2, and V4.....and pull em out and put them in differnt spots. V4 is the tube that controls the reverb sends/returns. he might be your suspect tube that is causeing all the noise.

afte that, turn on your amp.....turn it up, and keep the reverb knob set to zero....and play some stuff. if you hear spring rattle being amplified through the speakers output, you would want to contact Carvin to have the amp set back for repairs. If you ARE still hearing spring rattle, but its not being amplified though the speakers............well thats just fine. All amps with a spring reverb tank will rattle a bit. its just nature of the beast!
*theanimal*05

when i was playing the reverb was on about 9. should i just take the head of the cabinet so the speaker isnt rattling the springs. it even rattles when i have it turned off and im just putting the head on a table or something?
fyrie

I JUST got a new Legacy head, and I am having problems with spring rattle. I have a Legacy 2x12 combo, so I know how it's supposed to sound. If I have the head on my legacy 2x12 extension cab I cant use the reverb if I have teh cab in closed back mode with the volume past one. The reverb tank actually startes doing a vibration feedback thing where the tank just keeps vibrating. If I open the cab it works ok, but there is a slight amount of clanky vibration which isn't normal IMHO.

I'm heading out of town tonight, so I won't get a chance to call a tech till next week.
RAR!

The tank is bolted to the side of the wooden box, right?

What if you were to put some felt or rubber washers in between the tank and the box, to help isolate the vibrations from the tank?

Just an idea.
*theanimal*05

i had my tubes checked out and everything else inside the amp about 2 months ago so it aint the tubes. can i tighten the springs.
bkornaker1977

the reverb will feedback it the reverb knob is set past 8. It just nature of this beast. Ive had my legacy for 6 years now, and changed tubes numerous times, and even took the amp in for repairs ( at carvin factory)....and the reverb always feedsback when turned up past 8.

you will allways have spring rattle...........if you plan on playing with the reverb past 8 most of the time....i would take the head of the cab. isolating the tank with rubber washers would help...but i dont think it would help enought to keep the springs from rattling.