Amp?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
barhouston

Okay, I don't mean to stick one o' those "hey, what amp should I get, huh?" things in here, but amp thoughts are all a big swirl in my head right now, so I'm gonna just throw down and ask . . . well, hey, what amp should I get, huh? I'll try and keep it simple:

WARM DISTORTION. Uber-warm. Not fuzzy. Not screechy. Not booming. Not brown. Just warm and wonderful and dynamic and heavy, liquid distortion, but not lacking in a full range of tones.

Yeah, I know it's a tall order, and nothing will be perfect until I'm rich and famous and have my own custom amp (yeah, right), but you can throw opinions at me all day if you want. That might work. (I love detalis, too!)

Thanks!
Pi2plank

1st thing people probably ask here is "how much u willing to spend?"
barhouston

Oh, yeah, sorry. At this point I don't care, I just wanna find it; I don't have the money for anything right now, really, but I'll have the opportunity to save up over the summer. So just throw ideas my way.
Guitarmiester

Check out the amps Mesa has to offer. I'm looking into getting a new amp too, I've been trying out amps and looking into amps for about 3 months. I tried out a few Mesa amps, great amps. Most would just think - Mesa = heavy - Try Mesa amps, very versatile and some of the best amps out there. I'll probably end up buying a Mesa, still trying out different Mesa's. I'm liking the Solo 50 head, I'd probably get a Mesa 2x12 cab for it too (I already own a stack, but desperately need to FINALL upgrade the head.)
barhouston

I've almost got my heart set on a Laney VH100R. Thoughts?
guitar_chicken

Laney VH sounds awesome, but be sure to extensively test & try out the head, for I've overheard of some issues linked to the factory tubes. But if it's ok, go for nothing else, loool Laney always sound great I'm totaly sold to them!!!

Peace
RAR!

I want a VH100R really bad.

From what I hear, its pretty bright.

I think a Carvin Legacy will fit the bill. Even though its a Steve Vai forum, my opinion isn't biased. . its really is a good amp, that is nice and warm and liquid smooth.

I really want one.. . and a VH100R.

Cant decide...
TonyMacalpine

on an extremely non-traditional tip, you might wanna look into getting a digital modeller and running it into a tube power amp. every sound you could want with the warmth of real tubes.

its definitely worth a shot (thats what i'm doing)

btw, im not the real tony macalpine
Instrumentalrockrocks

If you don't really care about the money...

Try the Mesa Boogie Lonestar combo

Andy Timmons use them and I hear him playing on one of them live

Really a damn amazing sound!

try those... you won't be dissapointed!

Shred On :guitar
gtrdr

I have a Laney GH50L that is all that you're describing and more if you ask me!!!

It's a fraction of the cost of most of the other high-gain modern rock amps on the market too.

It's still all-tube and made in England...and costs about $1000.00 all in....maybe less!

I've had mine for 11 years and will not part with it for anything!

It's worth checking out if the extra clean channel on the VH100 isn't that important to you......the GH cleans up beautifully from the guitar's volume control anyway....

All the best,

Steve.