whats the most essential effect to hav?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
spencevie

Definetly delay or reverb. They make the tone (other than distortion).
stratomaster

Wah definitely. Next would be reverb.
Mr. Bluesman

None. If I had to choose, delay or wah. About the reverb: When playing live, you don't need reverb. You get the natural one.
mrfastfingers

1. DDL
2. Wah

Distortio can come out of a good amp....and reverb u can either get it natural or set ur delay unit to emulate it
fyrie

If I could only have one effect / stompbox (assuming I still get distortion/OD from the amp) I would have to say without a doubt DELAY.
Logic

A Digitech GNX 3000 :)
Cesar Huesca

sweeps wrote:excluding distortion what is effect or pedal you couldnt live without? i love my delay pedal.....or my bad horsie. yeah ill go with the horsie. :D naaaaaa
Mmm... What's the most essential effect to have? That's a nice question :!: :P

But you're pointing distortion, and distortion is not merely and effect, distortion is the amount of gain saturation induced into the guitar or any audio signal. A wah, a delay, a chorus/flanger, phaser etc etc are effects of different kinds, you know, modulation effects, acoustic dimension effects, and/or expresion pedals.

But if we're talking about the mos essential effect, I would say Reverb.
Reverb has been inside a lot of guitar amplifiers of all kinds since the early 50's I guess and at this time we can see that even the most modern hi-tech guitar amps carry a spring reverb inside. I think Reverb is actually the most essential effect.

From there we all have our different opinions and points of view about which kind or how many effects we should use, as well as the rig setup we would like to have.

Regards.

BTW, a pedal that cannot miss on gigs ever, is my MXR Wylde Overdrive. I may go to gigs or studios just with my amp, my guitar, the Wylde Overdrive and I'm pretty happy :wink:
matsimpson

my Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah..after Wah comes delay..after delay comes harmonizing.... and then whammy pedals
BadHorsie777

i have to say, my MXR smart gate is pretty handy....but my wah is more essentail