Laney or Marshall?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
bluesbreaker

Hi folks, I am looking for a 15 watt solid state amp and I am choosing between Marshall and Laney(the hardcore one). I am wondering if Laney is just as good as Marshall? I used to own the Marshall one and it's OK but I want something different now. Also, is the Laney 15-watt tube amp combo any good comparing with the Fender one(Pro Jnior)?
Thanx!

Mike
endor

im trying to shoose between peavey and laney right now,(except im getting the 50 watt tube) and i wouldn't ven consider marshall, overpriced and doesnt sound as good as either laney or peavey. 8)
j.arledge

laney , or better yet a roland cube .
blackwell

if you were going to buy a marshall the only ones werth buying are the old ones in my opinion as the newer models arnt as good. honesty though its pointles asking us its upto you what turns your ear on. just sit in a guitar shop all day with all the amps in the shop playing them and try to anyoy the staff as much as you can lol......

good luck with the amp :!:
Igor

if you realy want a transistor amp (safe to assume bedroom only practice amp?)

go with the roland cube. MUCH better than either.

and the laney LC15 is (IMO) > pro junior
Guitarmiester

"I am wondering if Laney is just as good as Marshall?"

-LOL!!!...is Laney as good as Marshall...lol.. Laney amps are f***ing amazing amps. I'd go with a Laney over Marshall any day, I don't care what model Marshall either.
guyzif

I agree with the majority here. I have a rowland cube here at Uni with me and i can say that this amp sounds amazing for what it is.

Still, its down to personally preferance, i'm a Peavey fan myself, i own a bandit and swear by it and im hoping to upgrade to a Triple XXX soon so yea thats me.

At the end of the day dude it's up to you.
bluesbreaker

well I play mostly classic rock and some blues. I rarely turn the gain past 5 and I crank the volume. So I am looking for an 15 watt transitor for bedroom practice, which can be friendly to pedals (I have overdrive and chorus pedals). I heard laney amps arent friendly to pedals so I dont know if it's true or not. If Roland Cube is that good then I will seriously consider it.
j.arledge

it is seriously a pretty fair quality amp . they sound great and are suprisingly loud for thier size .

there are some sound clips here .

http://www.music123.com/Roland-Cube15-i73944.music

http://www.roland.com/products/en/CUBE-15/demos.html
bancika

Marshall isn't that good with pedals also, I wouldn't recommend it
Guitarmiester

Since you are looking into a solid state amp over tube...check out those modeling amps Vox has out, the AD series. Also, Crate has a really nice solid state line of combos out, the VTX amps. When I was at the store by me playing around with their 2x12's, I liked the looks of the Crate VTX212, so tried it out and was very impressed with it. I don't care about the effects (which were good), but it had such a great clean and distorted sound for a solid state amps, very full sounding. As for Laney amps, you wouldn't need any extra pedals, unless you needed a boost. But, they are pretty gain-y amps.
Balex the Shizzle

imo i think, as most of the other guys here, that the only marshalls worth getting for the money are the very top end ones, old ones, and second hand ones if they are a bargain (which is rare)

i like laneys but i dont personally like the solid state laneys

at the end of the day test a few out, see what sounds best.
norway_guitarist

I'm playing on a Laney Hardcore Max 30W amp right now and it is really great. Very good sound and a versatile amplifier. I'll bet the 15 is just as good :)
Igor

which amps dont take pedals well??

overdrive pedals arent supposed to be used with solid state amps. its not what they have been designed for. it will sound like crap.

you need a distortion pedal.
RAR!

Igor wrote:
overdrive pedals arent supposed to be used with solid state amps. its not what they have been designed for. it will sound like crap.

you need a distortion pedal.
LOL.

Overdrive pedals are designed to simulate the tone of an overdriven tube amp, therefore, they were originally designed for amps that lack tube overdrive . . IE Solid State amps.

Now, if your talking about using an overdrive pedal as a boost (Like, having the gain very LOW and the level/output very HIGH), like to push the input of a tube amp, then yes, it works better on a tube amp than a solidstate amp. On a tube amp, it gives it a little bit of a kick to make the notes respond a bit quicker and stronger. On a solidstate amp, it just over-compresses if your not careful and adds lots of noise and feedback.

And an "Overrdrive" pedal is basically a distortion pedal with the harsh frequencies dialed out of it.