Laney VH100R... what do you think about this amp?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
musicalcem
Newcomer

Hi people,

what do you think about this amp...? to which other amp would you compare it?
I do some heavy instrumental stuff (http://www.cemakman.com) and I find that this amp kicks ass at high volume :headbang , but at low volume, I need to use a booster :roll: ...

anyone is using it?
RAR!

Ive never actually played one, but I do own an 80's Laney Pro Tube. Its a EL34 powered 100w all tube Marshall killer.

Beats the crap out of any Marshall in the current lineup. :)
Lucky

RAR! wrote:Ive never actually played one, but I do own an 80's Laney Pro Tube. Its a EL34 powered 100w all tube Marshall killer.

Beats the crap out of any Marshall in the current lineup. :)
Agreed, those old Pro Tube heads were sweet.
cain777

its a good piece of equipment. i tried a used one at my local guitar center. it has a good character to the tone, and the overdrvive is hot but clean,if you know what I mean. I would compare it to the Hughes n Kettner triamp. or a marshall but with much more tone and warmer
rocknuts

This amp sounded like melted shit when I plugged my strat into it, but my jem sounded great, yet my jem and my strat sound bastard amazing through my Legacy, but my jem sounds like stretched shit through a mesa boogie I also have, so what in gods name does this mean???

Some people may say "Well I think they sound fine"

But I am a perfectionist and strive for the best possible tone. Any good musician will understand!

Therefore,

I think it is crucial to try different guitars in an amp before you buy them. So just try different guitars. I believe there is a perfect match in an amp for every guitar out there, you just have to find the right match.

It's a bit like slaughtering the right beast for the mustard you have just bought. As there is nowt worse than good hot English mustard and a shit cut of beef on your plate.
musicalcem
Newcomer

This amp sounded like melted shit when I plugged my strat into it
Go on my website http://www.cemakman.com and go see the news, there is a demo of the laney played raw at low volume, with a power attenuator.
It's played with a guitar that has a bit less tone than a strat, but very close to it.
I don't feel like it sounds like melted shit!
But I am a perfectionist and strive for the best possible tone
I found this sound great!
The medium freqs are so well factory set that I was amazed. The demo on the site has no EQ.
I don't know what u r searching for?!?

Maybe you tried this amp at low volume... This is a HEAD 100W! It needs to be played loud to sound good! or be used with an attenuator.
endor

if eklundh uses it, is must be good!!!

:guitar rock on mattias
RAR!

My Pro Tube rocks with single coils and humbuckers.

Really brings out the twang with Single Coils, which is fun to play with.
Cozi101

endor wrote:if eklundh uses it, is must be good!!!

:guitar rock on mattias
Haha, I was gonna say that, Eklundh's tone is just beasty :twisted:.

P.S. Just listening to Here and Now, how cool is Steve's tone on the solo!?
GuitarDojo
Newcomer

I have had mine for 10 years now. It rocks.

It has a unique tone that has set me apart fom my comrads. I always got that "What are you playing through????" comment. It is loud and sounds best loud. (I have the matching Laney 4x12 H&H vintage 60 speakers. I dont think they sell that anymore. )
Logic

I don't think you can just walk up to an amp and plug into it and expect it to sound great. If it does you lucked out. No matter what amp and or guitar you get you have to do some tweeking to get it the way you want..
RAR!

Logic wrote:I don't think you can just walk up to an amp and plug into it and expect it to sound great. If it does you lucked out. No matter what amp and or guitar you get you have to do some tweeking to get it the way you want..
Think what you like, but my Pro Tube has YET to fail to sound absolutely stunning for the (almost) full year that I've had it.
Logic

I beleive it.
But when you are as poor as I am you have to make stuff work.
I have found that you can get stuff to sound good if you'll just put some time into it. Here a tweek there a tweek= great tone. I am having to play through a Marshall VS265 but I have it sounding really good. Down right great! Would I rather have a Carvin V-3?? you bet! As long as I keep getting the old "Hey, that sounds great" I will be OK until I can get me a halfstack.
Lucky

Logic wrote:I don't think you can just walk up to an amp and plug into it and expect it to sound great. If it does you lucked out. No matter what amp and or guitar you get you have to do some tweeking to get it the way you want..
Why not? If you plug into something quality that can definitley happen very easily and often! Mebbe it takes you a minute or two but it's not a matter of investing a lot of time if you're hooked up to the right amp.
Logic

What I see happening is people getting shot at because they don't have the "gear from heaven". If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with. DODODODDOODODDOo.. :)