cubase sx 3

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
toms-ruin

cubase sx 3

#1 Post by toms-ruin » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:10 am

im thinkin of buyin cubase sx 3

umm a few things i wanna know,
can i use the program to create drum track etc, as well as record.

i know that i aint guna get a great sound from usin my built in sound card but is it essential that i buy a new one?

thanks guys.

s_t_e_v_e_n_s_i_r_o_v_a_i

#2 Post by s_t_e_v_e_n_s_i_r_o_v_a_i » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:24 am

not that i want to be a bad guy but if u really think its that expensive, you could try to download a demo version and if u really like it buy it, if its still too much money in ur eyes try a less advanced thing like Adobe Audition which works perfectly for me

toms-ruin

#3 Post by toms-ruin » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:38 am

lol, i never sed ne ting about it being too expensive, but ye that sounds cool

will definatly try before i buy

cheers

lil alligator

#4 Post by lil alligator » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:24 am

If money isn't too much of an issue and you like the way cubase works why not check out Logic 7, IMHO its better than cubase. You can get Logic Express 7 which is kinda like a demo version of Logic 7 for not that much money, anyways just a thought,
Good Luck,

Anne Marie

Deyo

#5 Post by Deyo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:55 am

i don't want to offend anyone but do you guys really buy all that recording software ? most of the people i know never ever bought a single software application..not even windows . they just downloaded it from various torrentes or p2p programs together with cracks :roll: i mean, i support legal stuff and everything but its hard for me to belive that a lot of people actualy buy it just because it's just too available for..free :wink: and for the price of some of those software programs you can even buy a decent guitar :wink:

lydian7

#6 Post by lydian7 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:18 pm

lil alligator wrote:If money isn't too much of an issue and you like the way cubase works why not check out Logic 7, IMHO its better than cubase. You can get Logic Express 7 which is kinda like a demo version of Logic 7 for not that much money, anyways just a thought,
Good Luck,

Anne Marie
Logic pro 7 was traditionally made exclusively for Mac, and has only just been ported over to the PC. Cubase SX3 (and subsequent versions) have been around on the PC for years and years, and are industry standard in britain.

As far as quality goes, Logic Pro 7, Pro tools, and Cubase SX3 are all of a very similar high quality, and any one of those pieces of software will provide you with industry-quality recording (providing you have the right soundcards, equipment and technical know-how that is!). The most important distinction between them is the ease of use, and how easy you find it to quickly negotiate your way around the GIU.

I would personally go with Cubase SX3 if you have a PC, and Logic Pro 7 or Pro Tools if you have a Mac. Cubase is regarded as the best app for midi editing, and the SX versions also have very sophisticated audio editing, so you get the best of both worlds! :)

RM

#7 Post by RM » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:22 pm

lydian7 wrote:
lil alligator wrote:If money isn't too much of an issue and you like the way cubase works why not check out Logic 7, IMHO its better than cubase. You can get Logic Express 7 which is kinda like a demo version of Logic 7 for not that much money, anyways just a thought,
Good Luck,

Anne Marie
Logic pro 7 was traditionally made exclusively for Mac, and has only just been ported over to the PC. Cubase SX3 (and subsequent versions) have been around on the PC for years and years, and are industry standard in britain.

As far as quality goes, Logic Pro 7, Pro tools, and Cubase SX3 are all of a very similar high quality, and any one of those pieces of software will provide you with industry-quality recording (providing you have the right soundcards, equipment and technical know-how that is!). The most important distinction between them is the ease of use, and how easy you find it to quickly negotiate your way around the GIU.

I would personally go with Cubase SX3 if you have a PC, and Logic Pro 7 or Pro Tools if you have a Mac. Cubase is regarded as the best app for midi editing, and the SX versions also have very sophisticated audio editing, so you get the best of both worlds! :)
As far as I am aware the opposite is true - Logic always usd to be multi platform, but now, having been bought out by Apple is Mac only.

All of these three big names are great at what they do. I'm a pro engineer and use SX personally, but you can't go wrong with any of them really...

The only thing I would say about Pro Tools is that in order to get the best out of it you need to spend loads of cash to get the full on hardware based system. Now that is amazing, but incredibly expensive.

toms-ruin

#8 Post by toms-ruin » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:54 pm

thank guys

much appreciated info

lydian7

#9 Post by lydian7 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:33 pm

RM wrote: As far as I am aware the opposite is true - Logic always usd to be multi platform, but now, having been bought out by Apple is Mac only.
That's incorrect. I've been a mac user for years now, and Logic has always been a Mac only app. It used to be owned by Emagic (from Logic v.6 and before), but post-Logic pro 7 apple bought the rights from Emagic. It's always been Mac only until very recently. Do some research and I'm sure you'll find this information valid. :)

Cubase SX is used by alot of famous bands including Kraftwerk nowadays. It has the best midi editing capabilities, and the audio editing is extremely advanced (you can time-stretch audio samples to fit into a particular tempo and time signature with the simple click the mouse, and you can also use the beat calculator to calculate what tempo the sample is in!). There's also tons of built-in soft-synths and studio mastering effects. Cubase SX3 has all you need for a professional recording experience, and I've been a long time user of the software (from about '96 onwards).

Go for Cubase, you won't be disappointed! :D

Adriano

#10 Post by Adriano » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:09 am

If you don't have a serious audio-card, buy a M-Audio card firewire Pro-Tools powered....

RM

#11 Post by RM » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:11 am

lydian7 wrote:
RM wrote: As far as I am aware the opposite is true - Logic always usd to be multi platform, but now, having been bought out by Apple is Mac only.
That's incorrect. I've been a mac user for years now, and Logic has always been a Mac only app. It used to be owned by Emagic (from Logic v.6 and before), but post-Logic pro 7 apple bought the rights from Emagic. It's always been Mac only until very recently. Do some research and I'm sure you'll find this information valid. :)

Cubase SX is used by alot of famous bands including Kraftwerk nowadays. It has the best midi editing capabilities, and the audio editing is extremely advanced (you can time-stretch audio samples to fit into a particular tempo and time signature with the simple click the mouse, and you can also use the beat calculator to calculate what tempo the sample is in!). There's also tons of built-in soft-synths and studio mastering effects. Cubase SX3 has all you need for a professional recording experience, and I've been a long time user of the software (from about '96 onwards).

Go for Cubase, you won't be disappointed! :D
I still disagree! I used Logic on the PC about 6 years ago, well before Apple bought it. This happened about two years ago, and it soon went Mac only.

They may well have started producing again for PC in the last few months, since rumours are kicking around at the moment that Macs are soon to disappear anyway... Internally they are getting closer and closer to PCs. It may soon be the case that the only difference is a nice shiny exterior!

I've got a feeling we are both correct and incorrect on this matter!

Adriano

#12 Post by Adriano » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:42 am

RM wrote:It may soon be the case that the only difference is a nice shiny exterior!
...you are forgetting the incredible differences between Windows adn MacOs X, the only reason to buy a Mac.

RM

#13 Post by RM » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:54 am

Adriano wrote:
RM wrote:It may soon be the case that the only difference is a nice shiny exterior!
...you are forgetting the incredible differences between Windows adn MacOs X, the only reason to buy a Mac.
It may soon be the case...

There is talk of discontinuing the OS and turning to Windows... Not sure of the timescales involved but I know it is a possibility!

Adriano

#14 Post by Adriano » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:23 am

RM wrote:......

There is talk of discontinuing the OS and turning to Windows... Not sure of the timescales involved but I know it is a possibility!

AHHAHAHAHHA....please man..... :lol: