Legacy 2x12 combo clip

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Ant711UK

This is for anyone interested in how a Legacy sounds out of the box.
If you like the clip great, if you don't, please bear in mind that I've EQ'd it for my ears and playing style.

Being a Steve Lukather fan I begged my covers band to learn Toto's Rosanna so that I could show off or at least try to show off and do the widdly bit at the end of the song. I learnt the first part and then gave up and just decided it would be easier to widdle in my own boring way.

While I was trying to come up with some ideas of what to play. I quickly recorded the backing piano line along with some drums and looped it to practice to.

I recorded my ideas (including bum notes) with my Jem, a Legacy 2x12 and a shure sm57 mic.

It's basically a jam but I quite like the way the amp sounded miked up when it came out in the end.

Take a listen:

Legacy 2x12

Tony
RoiMichael

Sounds great!
Good wah sound too. What wah pedal you used?
fyrie

That was awesome. If you don't participate in the forums at carvin.com already, you should go over there and post this clip in one of the legacy soundclip threads. The playing is fantastic, but additionally, that's the best home-recorded user clip I've heard sound wise.
The Wolf

Damn, that settles it, I'm gonna start saving. maybe by the time I have the money I'll be able to play as good lol
Eutow

aahhhh.

a legacy. :)
tambokgt

heard this at Carvin's site....awesome chops and tone.....what settings were you using in your amp and modded DS1(is it a Keeley?)?
Ant711UK

Thanks guys.

I posted it over at Carvin after Fyrie suggested it.

I'll take some pics of the settings and post them, but mic placement was important when it came to recording it.

I'm pretty flattered to find that you think the playing is good, if I came out with some of the lines I played in the clip at a gig, my band members would wince and probably give me grief. It was just me jamming along and trying to find some ideas to use. It's a bit messy really, but I was impressed with the recorded sound and thought anyone looking to buy a Legacy might find it useful.

Cheers Tony
SPQR

Thats great playing mate, how long have you been playing for, is it all improvised and stuff or do you have alot of theory based playing either way that is really good technique and tone you got there man.

WHAT IS YOUR WAH PEDAL BY THE WAY lol? its nice n thick
rocknuts

Aahhh! :D

Now this is a favoutite track of mine and what pleases me about your little demonstration is the improvisation, because thats exactly what Lukather did on the original track.

Is there any chance :wink: of posting the backing without the guitar. I quite fancy a stab at it myself. Never been able to find a decent Rosanna backing track. (cheeky of me) 8)

Nice work anyway bud!!!
Ant711UK

OK.. The gear was:

2001 Jem7VWH - Morley bad horsie II (mainly held still in different positions while playing to give the guitar a more vocal sound) - Keeley modded Boss DS-1 Ultra (switched to fat mode) with Level 1 O'clock - Tone 10 O'clock - Dist - 9 O'clock.

Legacy 2x12 with V30's - Volume 2.5 - Drive 6 - Bass 6.5 - Mid 8 - Treble 3.5 - Presence 6.5.

Shure SM57 microphone - Desk.

I found that when I stood in front of the amp and listened it was a slightly harsher sound than the recorded sound. When I play live I always keep the volume at a reasonable level in order to hear what I'm doing. If I'm stupidly loud and standing right on top of the amp I have problems hearing the rest of the band and staying in time etc. I always mike up at gigs and put the guitar through the PA to give the guitar an even balanced sound. I found that the tone is nicer out front if I put the mic off axis at 45 degrees about 2" from the edge of the speaker. It cuts the harsher stuff out that way and allows the warm tone to come through.

I've been playing for 25 years plus, and should be way better than I am for the amount of years I've been at it. The vamp revolves around G minor so I just Jammed around in the F major scale = G dorian with some G minor pentatonic stuff chucked in here and there.

Rocknuts, I'll see if I can post the vamp without me on it for you!

Cheers Tony