Line 6 thoughts?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Willie

Line 6 thoughts?

#1 Post by Willie » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:11 pm

I wanted to know what you guys think of the Line 6 Spider 2 series amps?:)

I've been considering getting a 50W Spider 2 Combo amp, but am not too sure if it's worth getting or not and I wanted to get your reviews :)

Thank you guys and Peace to Everyone :peace

tambokgt

#2 Post by tambokgt » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:54 pm

whats your present setup like?

CudBucket

#3 Post by CudBucket » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:15 am

Well, I have a Peavey JSX, Vox Tonelab and POD XT Live. I really think the POD XTL is a cool piece of gear. It's great for recording direct to PC and has a ton of cool sounds in it. I don't know if I'd ever go with a Line 6 as my main amp.

That said, I had a Line6 Spyder for a while and thought it was great for practicing and jamming with CDs. I used one once in a jam situation and it just didn't have the juice to hang with a drummer and bassist.

Willie

#4 Post by Willie » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:24 am

I firstly want to correct a goof I made, I had said a 50W Spider 2 combo amp rather than a 30W Spider 2 combo amp, like I should've said, but I appologise for any confusion there :)

Right then, my current set up is a Westfield Les Paul (L/H), Venom hook jack cable and a Roland 2W Cube combo amp.

I'm now in the process of planning to have a L/H 7 String being made with a Floyd Rose Trem bridge, Kent Armstrong 7 pick ups (2x Humbuker, 1 Single Coil), Black Hardware, ebony fretboard, 25.5" scale, Jakson style headstock, Strat style body in Classic White, with my name engraved onto the headstock in black lettering as the Body, Neck and Headstock will be in Classic White, balck knobs and switches and no scratch plate :)

I'm looking to get a much better amp that I will be able to get a bit more creative freedom with than the Roland Cube allows, but saying that, the cube amp is a pretty neat wee machine :)

I have been considering the Spider 2 30W Combo and the Pod Pro 2, but I am still very much open minded :)

I hope this bit of info helps guys and again, I really appreciate you help and time on this 8)

Thank you again guys, Peace always :peace

Gastric Sumo

#5 Post by Gastric Sumo » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:33 am

I went and saw a cover band last week and the guitarist was using one of those Line 6 2x12 combos. It was an older one, but man the tone he was getting was impressive. I have a good ear to for those kinds of things. This guy had it dialed in! The other guitarist had some kind of Mesa Boogie combo which sounded kinda dry and plain in comparison. My thoughts about line 6 have changed after hearing this guy play. But I have a Johnson jm150 and wouldn't trade it for a line 6 just yet. Keep in mind that if your amp dosen't keep up with the drummer it's not the end of the world. Most places would rather mic your small amp and make it sound big through the PA.

Logic

#6 Post by Logic » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:41 pm

YEAH!!!
People are starting to catch on. All this brewhaha about this amp or that amp when it most comes down to how you set it up and use it. If a guy is just gonna walk up to an amp and plug in and hope for a great tone good luck with what ever you buy.
Mr. Gastric Sumo has it right. I am sure that there were guys there who were sayin Mesa Boogie Yeah! and all along the line 6 was pumpin the tone.
The moral to the story is, Work with your equipment and it will happen. You don't have to have "The Best" stuff to get the tone you want. You do, however, have to have the ear, fingers and "want to" to find your tone.
P.S. I walked into this party once and the main guitarist for a band called NYNY was playin through a little pig nose type deal and I couldn't believe how great he was sounding.

Make it happen!

Pi2plank

#7 Post by Pi2plank » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:48 pm

i have a line6 spider 30W & i am pleased w/ this practice amp...

i have a band & we rent this small studio where they have a peavey transtube series amp & a vox amp. i'd be lying if i'd say my amp didnt sound better than those two at the studio...people might tell me i'm biased cause i own the amp BUT i tell you those sounds coming out from the celestion speaker are way better than those at the studio. i use mostly the clean channel & the insane channel. the clean channel w/ flanger+tape echo is paradise to me (i play in my bedroom w/ window closed & no lights)...the biggest factor for me in choosing this amp was money. i had a small budget & i could only afford a practice amp & i'm happy line6 didnt disappoint me. i got my money's worth.

the question is how much money your willing to spend? you could get good suggestions about other amps here in the forums...a lot of people here own a lot of stuff...& cause they're vai fans, they got better ears too....

fyrie

#8 Post by fyrie » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:07 pm

I think the Spiders make really good practice amps, and maybe even good live amps for the fact that since most people will be wearing earplugs, the areas where modeling amps lack might be covered up a bit.

Here is where I think all modeling amps lack:
1 - Warmth, especially at high volumes.
2 - Response - The feel of your pick against the string is drastically different between a modeling amp and a tube or pure solid state amp. Additionally, modeling amps really show their weakness when you take a high gain setting and turn down the volume on the guitar. The tone starts to get really cazooish, whereas on a tube amp it would start to clean up.
3 - High End EQ profile - The really high end of the eq spectrum on these amps just doesn't sound natural.

All that being said, I could totally understand that some people might actually PREFER the sound of a more synthetic tone.

I will also say that modeling amps tend to do the ultra high gain pretty well. It's the tones inbetween 100% clean and uber dirt that are iffy.

%thd

#9 Post by %thd » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:48 pm

Logic wrote:YEAH!!!
People are starting to catch on. All this brewhaha about this amp or that amp when it most comes down to how you set it up and use it. If a guy is just gonna walk up to an amp and plug in and hope for a great tone good luck with what ever you buy.
Mr. Gastric Sumo has it right. I am sure that there were guys there who were sayin Mesa Boogie Yeah! and all along the line 6 was pumpin the tone.
The moral to the story is, Work with your equipment and it will happen. You don't have to have "The Best" stuff to get the tone you want. You do, however, have to have the ear, fingers and "want to" to find your tone.
P.S. I walked into this party once and the main guitarist for a band called NYNY was playin through a little pig nose type deal and I couldn't believe how great he was sounding.

Make it happen!
Couldn't agree w/ you more. The problem is that everyone wants to plug in and press a button (Button 1 = Vai patch, Button 2 = Eric Johnson patch etc etc) and no one wants to spend the time.

Tone is about understanding the enviroment and also the weakest link in the chain. You could have the best equipment in the world, but you plug in 1 device into the chain which you don't understand and bam there goes your tone.

Also you work on your tone and it sounds incredible... incredible in your room (a 5x5 room). Now you have the same set up in a hall and it sounds lifeless/hollow. With sound you must understand all aspects.

%thd

Logic

#10 Post by Logic » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:15 pm

Mr. %thd,
You know what? I didn't even mention the environment, and thats very very important! Well done.
So listen up you guys!!

:idea:

Willie

#11 Post by Willie » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:35 pm

Hi Guys :)

Thank you for all the help and info, I really appreciate it :)

I already know that there's a huge diference to playing in a room that you can barely swing a cat in and a dance hall or club :), it's not the volume that I feel cramped with, it's the lack or selcetion of tones and effects that I'm looking more freedom with and I have found 2 good tones that I like in the Cube amp, but they still don't quite cut the mustard.

I also play harmonica to a pretty good standard and I also use the amp for the mic and harp and the good thing is, I add the reverb to give a nice haunting echo :), I use the reverb fro playing blues slide guitar, but for playing something much heavier, the tones that I'm looking for, just simply don't exsist in the cube amp and there isn't much on the cube's menu to try and cook up a guitarist's feast with and so that is why I'm looking to get the 30W Spider 2 and Pod Pro 2, but I will be concentrating on getting the 7 string made first :)

Thank you again guys and I appreciate any more input you guys have :)

Take care evryone and thank you again :), Peace :peace

Logic

#12 Post by Logic » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:40 pm

You are running your mix to the P.A. system didn't you??
If you play large venues you have to send the sound guys a line..
Mic your amp.

Willie

#13 Post by Willie » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:53 pm

I have known about this from being at gigs and stuff, unfortunately though, I haven't played any gigs yet as I have only been playing for 14 months or so and I don't believe that I'm good enough to be in a band yet, even though there aren't any blues bands around or good rockbands either, at least not in where I live anyways, it's all nightclubs and rave BS and it sucks so bad that it makes a F5 tornado seem like nothing.

I'm waiting to hear if I can get in a band as a harmonica player for an Indie band, but I'll be practicing to get more up to speed for the axe :D

What do you guys think?:)

Many thanks again, Peace :peace

veyero

#14 Post by veyero » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:21 pm

im not a big fan of the spider series. i think the vettas are pretty cool, but they cost alot more.

RAR!

#15 Post by RAR! » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:06 pm

I think they're decent practice amps.

Would I want to record with one? OH NO.
Play live with one? NO!

Why?

A tube halfstack is infinitely more fun. And if you say "too expensive" then your simply not a very good shopper, because great, cheap tube amps are out there.