legacy tube test clips.......

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
bkornaker1977

What i did here is test out the tone of differnt tubes in the V1 spot of a carvin Legacy. alot of people ask " what does XXX tube sound like? and What are the tone differnces between AAA tube and BBB tube"?..... so i posted some clips of various tubes so people can HEAR the differnce for themselves. I play the same riff on the lead channel and the amp settings and everything else remains the same, except for the tubes are being swaped out.

the tubes tested are...

NOS ecc83 ( made in holland)
JJ ecc803
NOS GE 12ax7
NOS RCS 12ax7A
NOS RFT ecc83
GT 12ax7-M ( mullard re-issue)

please post your comments on which tube you think sounds best of these clips. So far my favorite is the NOS RCA,.................

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=465137
bkornaker1977

and remember to click on "hi-fi" when listening to it. it gives you the option to stream it by using hi-fi or lo-fi.

hi-fi is MUCH better sound quality.
if6was9

Hey, that's intresting. I really dig the tone of the NOS GE 12ax7 and the mullards. I'm curious about the way you micked the amp.
laficojr

I didn't notice so much divergence in the sound really.
All of them sounds great!!!

You're mic'ing the amp with 2 mics?

Cya dude
Marco
bkornaker1977

2 mics.......one shure PG57 on a celestion greenback, positioned about 1 inch away from the grill and pointed near the edge of the speaker. The other mic is a cheap large diaphram condenser on a celestion V30, about an inch away pointed directly at the center of the speaker.

then i panned em so one mic is set at 3:00 to the right, the other is about 10:00 to the left.

oh yeah....i have a legacy cab with mixed speakers of greenbacks and V30s.
Lotus Eater

Thank you so much for the clips!!
I'm going to have to have a better listen with computer monitors that don't distort :)
Is it possible to do another comparison with the EL34 v.s. 6L6 power tubes?
I have always wanted to hear the difference in the Legacy. Or does this clip already exist?
bkornaker1977

i dont have any 6L6 tubes...or i would do a tone test on those too! i only have my mullard re-issue el34s in there.......and no other power tubes to compare with.
j.arledge

i liked the NOS rca myself but over all i didn't notice too big a difference but there where some.

thanks for the clips
bkornaker1977

I have a NOS Tung-sol 12ax7A coming in the mail any day now. I will re-record the tone test to include this one. This time, i wont use any effects......and switch up the riffs each tube change.

ill keep ya posted when its up and running.
bkornaker1977

i posted 2 new clips on the site.

one clip "legacy *final tubes*" is the amp wich i tryed the new killer tubes on the both the clean channel, and the lead channel.

other clip " legacy (chuga-chunky)" is the new tubes with a drop tuned guitar and the lead channel.
EL-CeeDee
Newcomer

Is it possible to get these clips back up ?
bkornaker1977

wow! this thread re-surfaced out of nowhere!

i dont have those clips anymore.......but in the next week or so.......ill try to rerecord the same stuff i did before.........and repost it

but im very busy this week, so please be patient....ill get another clip up that has all the tube testings again.
RAR!

Dude, what do you use for your drums??!?

Specifically on the song "If you only knew" they sound really good for a drum machine.
EL-CeeDee
Newcomer

Sure! Thanks for taking the time !!
Eutow

O M G

THAT 5150 clip!!!

WOW

IM SERIOUS

WOW
AMAZING TONE, SERIOSULY, I HAVE A LEGACY AS WELL!!, HOW DID YOU DOD IT!??!?!?!

:shock: