The all tube ibanez thermion

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
cain777

I have been anticipating the release of this amp for a while. has anyone got the chance to play through it. if so please give me feed back. if anyone can please post some sound samples or post the link to any sound samples. i would really appreciate any reply regarding this topic. thanks for your time.
shredfestival
Newcomer

RAR!

I played one yesterday.

I was like "Oh Shit! They got a Thermion!"

So I hooked it up, turned it on, and plugged in an Ibanez Artist.

So . I hit the standby switch...

Clean Channel: Yeah. . .The first thing that came to mind was me noting how gritty and gross it sounded. I popped and slapped and did some fast picking stuff. It wasn't real responsive. Ok, well, clean channels not THAT important, is it? . . .overdrive channel

*click*

Dirty Channel: To my great dissapointment, it was the worst sounding overdrive Ive ever heard. Its supposed to be all tube, but its evident they have some clipping diodes stuck in the circuit, its almost impossible to find an amp that doesnt nowadays. It had a very tight sound, but it was so tight that it was harsh and un-musical. It was gritty and thin, the high end was brittle, although the low end was somewhat solid. The midrange was almost non-existant, no marshall crunch because of the 6L6 tubes. It was even worse than a Crate Blue Voodoo. . ., at least that thing will sustain and have a somewhat juicy gain.

The overdrive was very very strange. After diming the gain, it provided a powerful unnatural crunch, but single notes. . . it was like playing a Marshall plexi with the volume turned down. NO sustain, NO smoothness, and strangest of all: NO RESPONSE. It was the most "Dead" sounding amp I've ever played. Double stops almost sounded like white noise, it was just terrible.

I cant believe they have the balls to put a tag of $1300 on this thing. Bear in mind, I like to give amps a fair test before making any opinions, but . . .this one flat out sucked, I wouldn't bother talking about it if it wasn't true. I tried an Ibanez Andy Timmons sig into it, which made it a little better, but the distortion was still disgusting. It sounded like a Boss DS1 with the tone knob cranked up, harsh, gritty, disgusting.

Its the last thing you want if you're going to be playing Vai music, its an amp for modern powerchord mashers.

They're alot of better amps out there. . . .I cringe just thinking about that Thermion.

Too bad, because it looks really badass. :)
Shade

Did you get a chance to try it out with any of the other cabs in the store?

I've heard the cab is what sucks, so if you can, try it with another cab.
j.arledge

Shade wrote:Did you get a chance to try it out with any of the other cabs in the store?

I've heard the cab is what sucks, so if you can, try it with another cab.
the cab has celestion vintage 30s in it , it shouldn't suck those are great speakers .
Logic

Really!!!???!?!
So, This is getting some thumbs down aye???
Anyone else??
We need some more input before we chuck it.
Shade

I wish one of the local stores carried it...

It can't be -that- bad...can it?
knarfzednem

It really shouldn't be that bad. It looks like Ibanez's answer for the Peavey Valveking. (Which I hear is not bad for the price. Good first tube amp head I hear). The clips don't sound bad, but I don't like to judge stuff by the clips. If I could just get to a Guitar Center, I'm sure they'd have one. Oh well. Maybe the lack of sales(?) will cause a price change. If it hits $300, I'll tell you what it sounds llike. :wink:
RAR!

It SHOULDN'T be that bad, but I'm honestly relating my true impressions of the amp. It really was pretty lousy. I dont have a thing for bashing Ibanez, I have 3 Ibanez guitars. . . but. . .wow. . .its a sorry excuse for an amp.

And JRA is right, I played it on the matching cab, which does have Vintage 30s. But . . .the problems with the distortion wouldn't be fixed by a different cabinet. Those Vintage 30's are very smooth and and have a somewhat cloudy high end, and the damn thing was still was still splintery.

I almost think I played a bad one. Maybe so. Maybe I need another trial on another amp.
Logic

Mr. RAR!
That would be kewl if you could do that.
Try a different one. I know it's hard to come up with discriptive words but try to give us more of a synopsis about the tone of that puppy. I rarely use a distortion channel so some news on the clean would be kewl too.