What kinda cables do you guys use?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
atifman

What kinda cables do you guys use?

#1 Post by atifman » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:48 am

I've been using crappy guitar cables for a while now, and i think they're contributing to signal loss, a fuzzy sound, and added hum.

I want nice cables that are durable, long-lasting, and can take alot of abuse, but not too expensive. i don't want professional-quality cables used for recording, just ones for home-use that are good.
i don't wanna spend more than 100$ on 3 cables: 10 ft, 5 ft, pedal-to-pedal.

there are so many brands, which ones do you guys recommend?
(btw, i know that those 3 problems i mentioned above may not be caused by my cables, but i'd still like suggestions)

cerealk

#2 Post by cerealk » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:31 pm

George L's

jmchambers5

#3 Post by jmchambers5 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:14 pm

I bought some Monster cables the other day, and couldnt be happier with them. Toda I was plugging in my new headphone amp, and just used 2 random cables that were laying around the studio, one of them happening to be a Monster, one of them being some other brand. When I put on my headphones i immediately noticed a difference in quality between the left and right side, the left was louder and clearer, and guess what, it was the monster cable. I use the standard 100's or whatever the cheap monster cables are, and you can get a 21 foot cable for like 30 bucks i think, so that's within your budget.

Reaper

#4 Post by Reaper » Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:50 am

I just use Fenders.

Jippy

#5 Post by Jippy » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:59 am

George L cables for guitars and pedals; Monster speaker cables for amp-cab connections.

Blue_Powder

#6 Post by Blue_Powder » Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:06 am

I use low-end cables and have never had a problem with them. I'll usually look to make sure there good stock though; solders clean, no major kinks, etc.

Monster cables are a scam....you're paying for the return policy and their marketing budget. If you're hearing any difference between them and any decent $10 cable it's a sympathetic pain from paying too much for something.

jmchambers5

#7 Post by jmchambers5 » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:01 am

no way man, i dont know about the higher priced monster cables, but the standard 100s or whatever the base end cable is is definately a good cable. I only spent 25 bucks on them, which is the same as i spend on my horizon cables or really any other good cable with a lifetime warranty. There is a significant difference in signal strength also. Next time i get a chance I'll record something using My Monster Cables and then the 10 dollar cables i have. The lifetime warranty itself is worth the money, but like i said earlier, i have no experience with the higher end Monster Cables, so that might be the ones you're talking about, they do seem a bit pricey.

cantaor

Monster

#8 Post by cantaor » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:09 am

Monster cables are a quality choice. The 100s are excellent, the´re bullet proof, with 24k gold connectors and Duraflex Jacket. So, for 25 bucks you get NASA quality material!!! hehehe.

Reaper

#9 Post by Reaper » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:47 am

Not only that, but the bastards are guaranteed for life!

Gabe Nickelson

#10 Post by Gabe Nickelson » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:53 pm

I use monsters. Seem to work fine for me. I use them in my cabs to head as well as my guitar inputs. Heavy duty and durable.

Gabe

Blue_Powder

Re: Monster

#11 Post by Blue_Powder » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:54 pm

cantaor wrote:Monster cables are a quality choice. The 100s are excellent, the´re bullet proof, with 24k gold connectors and Duraflex Jacket. So, for 25 bucks you get NASA quality material!!! hehehe.
Then explain to me why those reasons make a better sounding cable? Show me somewhere that explains how those elements can translate into a better sound.

If NASA worked with Jim Dunlop to make a pick would it sound better? How about a pickup selector? Think about it; the entire technology behind cabling is getting a signal from Point A to Point B.

All you're paying for with Monster is the return policy.

Monster also has a habit of making thier jacks slightly larger than standard size to make a tighter fit with the plug. The problem is that if you have to use a standard plug and not the Monster cable the connection can not be as tight and extended use of Monster cables on an already worn jack can damage it and require replacement.

jmchambers5

#12 Post by jmchambers5 » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:56 pm

okay, first of all, gold is a better conducter, you're going to get more signal from gold tipped plugs. second of all, even if you were just paying for the lifetime warranty, it's worth it. cables go bad, its part of life. get one with a lifetime warranty and you dont have to buy a new one when they do, and the standard 100s dont cost anymore than any other cable with a lifetime warranty, and they really do sound better, i've A/B'd them before.

Blue_Powder

#13 Post by Blue_Powder » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:55 am

jmchambers5 wrote:okay, first of all, gold is a better conducter, you're going to get more signal from gold tipped plugs.
MORE signal? Does this mean that monster cables are louder?

Can you prove it?
second of all, even if you were just paying for the lifetime warranty, it's worth it. cables go bad, its part of life. get one with a lifetime warranty and you dont have to buy a new one when they do,
It's only worth it if you make them give you new ones about 10 times. Monster Cables can't cost any more than 5 bucks a peice to make. What you're paying for is their marketing and the return policy.

At what rate cables go bad is another issue; I have ones in my studio here that have served fine for over 20 years. I've got older ones that have required a new plug put on them. Even with replacing both plugs I've paid less than a tenth for Monster cables.
and the standard 100s dont cost anymore than any other cable with a lifetime warranty, and they really do sound better, i've A/B'd them before.
I have as well and I tend to have very picky ears.....they don't sound any different.

The only tonal difference between monster cables and any other is a psychosomatic perception caused byan excess of pain in your wallet for paying too much for a cable and a small divot of material in the brain for believing their marketing.

jmchambers5

#14 Post by jmchambers5 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:35 am

[quote="Blue_Powder
The only tonal difference between monster cables and any other is a psychosomatic perception caused byan excess of pain in your wallet for paying too much for a cable and a small divot of material in the brain for believing their marketing.[/quote]

don't agree, but i like the way you said that. well put! :wink:

mmm

#15 Post by 962 » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:46 am

Eric Johnson knows a lot about the tonal difference between cables. and batteries.

I don't actually buy them much - I use a Shure Wireless transmitter and it saves so much money! sounds a bit nicer too.