I have £2000 to spend on a new valve amp. Recommendations?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).

What I'm trying to achieve most of all is a controlable, precise distorted tone that I can personalise to develop my own individual tone
That should be no problem with the Legacy. One person I think I've not really managed to sound like, believe it or not, is Vai! The Legacy is a great amp - rather than making your guitar sound like your amp (like you can all too easily find with Mesa and Engl stuff) the amp will sound like your guitar.

If you use a Strat into a Legacy it really will react very differently to, say, a 335, or a PRS. It really is open to massive variety, and you can also control a lot of expression and dynamics with your hands, which I love. It's great to have so much tonal control just by changing your pick-attack, or how wide a vibrato you use!
Instrumentalrockrocks

962 wrote:
What I'm trying to achieve most of all is a controlable, precise distorted tone that I can personalise to develop my own individual tone
That should be no problem with the Legacy. One person I think I've not really managed to sound like, believe it or not, is Vai! The Legacy is a great amp - rather than making your guitar sound like your amp (like you can all too easily find with Mesa and Engl stuff) the amp will sound like your guitar.

If you use a Strat into a Legacy it really will react very differently to, say, a 335, or a PRS. It really is open to massive variety, and you can also control a lot of expression and dynamics with your hands, which I love. It's great to have so much tonal control just by changing your pick-attack, or how wide a vibrato you use!
So you say it can handle a lot of different tones???

The tone comes from the guitar in many ways...

The thing why you can't get the Vai tone is because you just need a jem for it or at least a guitar with evo's in it....

What I'm trying to say is that with every amp where you put DIFFERENT guitars in the amp will sound different because of the guitar itself....

And afcourse Mesa Boogie and Engl has his own sound only don't say the Legacy hasn't got his own sound in it....

Why would Vai have a Signature amp anyway then?
He has always the typical Vai sound...

Shred On :guitar

So you say it can handle a lot of different tones???
Yes
The tone comes from the guitar in many ways...
Yes
The thing why you can't get the Vai tone is because you just need a jem for it or at least a guitar with evo's in it....
Yeah but it helps to be able to play something like Vai as well....the expression comes from his fingers, not his pickups
What I'm trying to say is that with every amp where you put DIFFERENT guitars in the amp will sound different because of the guitar itself....
If you put a Strat into a Dual Rec, for example, you'll think "oh, that sounds like a Dual Rec with a Strat plugged into it". If you plug a Les Paul into a Dual Rec you'll think "oh, that sounds like a Dual Rec with a Les Paul or a PRS plugged into it".

There's nothing wrong with that, but the difference is, if you plug a Strat into a Legacy you'll think "oh, that sounds like a Strat". The Legacy lets the guitar and the player do 80% of the talking, rather than the lean 50-60% that you get from a signature-gain type amp like a Mesa or Engl.

Yes, Mesa and Engl have their own sound.....their tone is how they can be identified. With the Legacy it can be identified by it's characteristics.

I'm not saying this 'cause I'm some ass-kissing Vai freak....I'm saying this 'cause in my experience, the Legacy is a hugely versatile amp suitable for people with all sorts of tastes.

And I'm not saying it 'cause I hate Mesa either.....Boogie's are cool, I'd have one if somebody was giving me one, although I'd sooner take a Hughes & Kettner TriAmp, they're not so compressed.

Unfortunately, you can't get a Mesa or H&K rig for just 2 grand, so that's all rather academic, isn't it?

For the budget specified, I would thoroughly recommend the Legacy as I think it punches well above it's weight.
lydian7

962 wrote: Yes, Mesa and Engl have their own sound.....their tone is how they can be identified. With the Legacy it can be identified by it's characteristics.

I'm not saying this 'cause I'm some ass-kissing Vai freak....I'm saying this 'cause in my experience, the Legacy is a hugely versatile amp suitable for people with all sorts of tastes.

And I'm not saying it 'cause I hate Mesa either.....Boogie's are cool, I'd have one if somebody was giving me one, although I'd sooner take a Hughes & Kettner TriAmp, they're not so compressed.

Unfortunately, you can't get a Mesa or H&K rig for just 2 grand, so that's all rather academic, isn't it?

For the budget specified, I would thoroughly recommend the Legacy as I think it punches well above it's weight.
I understand what you're saying, the Legacy's characteristics are determined by the technique of the player, moreso than the signature tone of the amp like Mesa and Engl.

You can get a Mark IV combo for exactly £1999 from GAK which I'm very tempted to buy, but for the price I feel that perhaps the Legacy option would be better value for money overall.

Anyway thanks for your help, much appreciated. :)
williebee

I know everyone has their opinion of what they like, what gives them the sound that they're looking for, which a good thing there is so much to choose from. So here goes my 2 cents (again its all in your ear for what you like) I found a couple of older Marshall JCM 800's, a 50watt and 100watt. Not the reissue but ones from the 80's. If you look around (and not on ebay either) you can find them pretty reasonable. Had them given the once over by someone who knows what they're doing. Run them through 4 vintage 30's and love every note I hit. I'm old school what can I say. Don't know if thats the sound you want but I know it works for me. Also have a Legacy combo when I'm in need of that type of in and out situation and thats not shabby either.
lydian7

williebee wrote:I know everyone has their opinion of what they like, what gives them the sound that they're looking for, which a good thing there is so much to choose from. So here goes my 2 cents (again its all in your ear for what you like) I found a couple of older Marshall JCM 800's, a 50watt and 100watt. Not the reissue but ones from the 80's. If you look around (and not on ebay either) you can find them pretty reasonable. Had them given the once over by someone who knows what they're doing. Run them through 4 vintage 30's and love every note I hit. I'm old school what can I say. Don't know if thats the sound you want but I know it works for me. Also have a Legacy combo when I'm in need of that type of in and out situation and thats not shabby either.
I think first and foremost to me is a warm, legato-friendly lead tone. That's great that you've found your tone in the Marshall, but for my tastes they have too much bite to them. I'm looking for a more subtle, warm-sustaining tone with quite a lot of low end.
Birdman

A THD hotplate and use of the bass and treble controls, and you're there. lol The V30's don't bite at all, like whatyou'd normally hear out of standard 1960 cab's. They are way too harsh regardless for my liking, but from what you're saying you need, I rekon a 5150 head through V30's or the 5150 combo. Can't get much more gain than that thing, but you can also get a good clean sound out of it too.
lydian7

Cheers for everyones advice and opinions. I eventually went with the Mesa Boogie MkIV combo which I'm excstatic with. When it arrives in a week or two I'll record some demo material and post it (in the appropriate section of course). ;)

Speaking about the 5150 head, I've heard that the clean channel is a little poor compared to the quality of the overdrives. I also wanted to steer clear of an all-out metal amp, and get something with a little more restrain and subtlety.

I hope I've made the right decision. :)