DS1 I know, but jesus

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Ray Lindsley
Newcomer

I use a Keeley ts9dx-flexi 2x4 into an seeing eye modded DS 1 Ultra, and it sounds great together, but the drive levels are kept pretty low and it all depends on running into a good tube amp.
YisCo!
Newcomer

I own a Legacy and a DS1, im using the DS1 to get a nice rock bluesy sound that reminds of "Camel", an old prog rock band. I use it without the precense button of the clean channel of the amp, this combination sounds better for lead sounds... on sunday i will test it using it as a boost to see how it works.
rocknuts

My set up consists of:

Guitar>Wah>Legacy 212

Line 6 POD in FX loop (using ONLY: Delay,chorus & Flange)

Having the POD in the FX loop causes a reduction in the Legacy's gain, which the manual says is normal.

Can someone tell me if putting a DS-1 in the chain after the Wah will improve my sound. At the minute I am not happy with my sound.

However my POD out of the loop, the gain sounds great!! But I need my delay etc y' know!

Any help, Cheers :?
Shade

rocknuts wrote:
Can someone tell me if putting a DS-1 in the chain after the Wah will improve my sound. At the minute I am not happy with my sound.
Couldn't you just switch them and find out? lol.
rocknuts

Shade wrote:
rocknuts wrote:
Couldn't you just switch them and find out? lol.

No Shade you misread my question. I am basically wanting to know if buying a DS-1 will improve/fatten up my tone. The fx connected in the loop are resulting in a reduction in the Legacy's gain you see!

Am I correct in thinking that this is why Vai and Satriani for example use the DS1 in their pedalboards?
ASpaceAgeSoul
Newcomer

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=10

Vai has had a pedal modded by keeley electronics. Whether he currently uses it is a question to ask him?
TheArchitect

The trick with the DS-1 is setting tone control. Most people I see have the tone between 12oclock and five oclock. Really bright and grainy. It needs to be in the 9-10 oclock position. Its at least usable in that postion. I picked that up from old pics of Satch's pedal in a guitar rag years ago. Also for a boost you don't crank the gain. generally no more than 50% but you do crank the volume.
Vegas_Blues

Steve does not use the modded DS-1 any longer......
If I am not mistaken, on the soundcheck footage of the new G3 DVD, Steve and Joe are discussing their setups, and they are talking about the DS-1......Steve tells Joe that the modded DS1 just compresses the sound too much (which I agree with)
Anyhow, just my .02
RAR!

Does anyone have any noise problems with their DS-1? (unmodded of course)
Logic

TheArchitect wrote:The trick with the DS-1 is setting tone control. Most people I see have the tone between 12oclock and five oclock. Really bright and grainy. It needs to be in the 9-10 oclock position. Its at least usable in that postion. I picked that up from old pics of Satch's pedal in a guitar rag years ago. Also for a boost you don't crank the gain. generally no more than 50% but you do crank the volume.
Funny you've mentioned this as lotsa people crank the treble or highs up way to much. I think they like the presents it seams to give them. Also, they don't listen to the amp from right in front of the amp but rather slightly from the side which in most cases isn't the focal of the wave front. which means those that are directly in front of the amp get their heads cut off with the excessive lazar beam high frequencies. I have noticed that this is more of a problem with 2x12 than 4x12s.
leobad

TheArchitect wrote:The trick with the DS-1 is setting tone control. Most people I see have the tone between 12oclock and five oclock. Really bright and grainy. It needs to be in the 9-10 oclock position.
mm this really depends on the tone you're looking for. You're right about the dist knob for the boost mode, it doesn't need to be past 50% in fact I use mine at 9 o'clock, but I set the tone knob at around 3 o'clock and get a nice agressive sound out of my amp. Btw unlilke a lotta people here I use a 5150 so my guess is that my settings won't apply to everyone (not that anyone would want to try them), and I'm using a keeley modded ds-1. I own an old japanese ds-1, but a friend has it so I wouln't know if this settings sound good on it.

-Leo.
RAR!

I went to GC and compared a Keeley DS-1 with a stock Taiwan DS-1.

The Keeley had more bass, slightly smoother highs, and no noise.

The stock one was slightly more grainy, and noisy.

Can anyone tell me SPECIFICALLY what differences there are between a Japanese DS-1 vs. a newer Taiwan DS-1?

Thanks.
Petie

It's funny, I've been using pedals in a similar way to Steve without realising it. I use a DS-1 (unmodified Taiwan model, which I've written my settings on and nicknamed "The Awesomizer") for flutey single-note stuff, but it sounds a bit farty at faster speeds so I use a Digitech Bad Monkey, which is Digitech's take on a modded Tube Screamer. It has treble and bass controls, instead of a universal 'tone' control. It's very flexible, and can handle speed picking very well.
rocknuts

DS-1 ! ! !

BEFORE or AFTER a Noise supressor? ? ?
Logic

Noise gates live at the end of the line.
Most gainy effects make noise that needs be blocked out.