DS1 I know, but jesus

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
dweezil 9

What the hell is wrong with you people? I got my DS1 back from a friend I leant it too, and now I remember why I got rid of it, it’s fucking TERRIBLE, I mean shit, how can you praise this pedal? Have you actually listened to it without like a hajillion other effects on at the same time? *Shudder* But then again I guess my shitty 15 watt vox doesn’t help. But it still shouldn't be this horrible. I know Mr. Vai uses one, and I know that it is modded, key word there, modded. What setting do you use? It will still sound horrible. :lol:
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steve's DS-1 is not modded.

But it's not to be used as a stand alone distortion, rather a boost for a distortion channel on a tube amp.
dweezil 9

Are you sure? Because I read somewhere around here that it had been.
DarrenW

Hey,

Try setting it like this:

Tone: 11
Distortion: 11
Level: 12

For a boost on distortion - thats what I do on my legacy!

Hope This Helps

Darren :D :D :D
Melodic Dreamer

dweezil 9 wrote:What the hell is wrong with you people? I got my DS1 back from a friend I leant it too, and now I remember why I got rid of it, it’s fucking TERRIBLE, I mean shit, how can you praise this pedal? Have you actually listened to it without like a hajillion other effects on at the same time? *Shudder* But then again I guess my shitty 15 watt vox doesn’t help. But it still shouldn't be this horrible. I know Mr. Vai uses one, and I know that it is modded, key word there, modded. What setting do you use? It will still sound horrible. :lol:
I totally agree, I hate Boss pedals with all of my heart.

But it's not to be used as a stand alone distortion, rather a boost for a distortion channel on a tube amp.
I know your a Adim and everything, but I don't believe you. lol What happen to his DS-1 & Tube Screamer from Robert Keeley? If he isn't using a modded one now, he was for a long time.

No matter what though. I think they sound like crap. Plus I don't understand why you would use a Distortion pedal to boost an amp. In my personal opinion a overdrive or clean boost works much better without compressing the tone to mush.
1118916GB

i put the distortion knob in 5 o clock setting and the tone knob in 11 o clock setting and the middle in 3 o clock. If you krank up everything it'll obviously sound like a broken radio. If you turn up the tone knob, ironically the tone gets worse and loses its definition.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Melodic Dreamer wrote:

I know your a Adim and everything, but I don't believe you. lol What happen to his DS-1 & Tube Screamer from Robert Keeley? If he isn't using a modded one now, he was for a long time.
We were talking about the DS-1. It's not modded, regardless if you believe me or not ;) For the last tour in the US, an unmodded DS-1 was used. For the Acching Hunger concerts, an unmodded DS1 and TS-9DX was used.

Don't take my word for it, check this thread and see the pics for yourself ;)
http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

I know he has a seeing eye modded DS-1, but from the countless pics I've seen over the last few tours, it doesn't get any road action (anymore maybe). Don't know about his own TS-9DX tho.
realgreenfire

i play a standard ds1 without a problem threw a 20w crate amp, it sounds fine. but u have to realise that there are prolly "better" pedals out there, and this isnt exactly a 100$ pedal, i got mine for 40$ at GC 5 months ago.
fyrie

I'm thinking that Steve is slowly moving away from the DS-1. We've all seen the recent article where he says that the DS-1 doesn't track well on the fast passages (that's what he uses the TS for). However, he does like the DS-1 to fatten up everything else. The TS isn't really fat, so maybe he'll run across something eventually that will work for both.
RAR!

What article?
knarfzednem

it was in the july issue of Guitar Player.it's awesome,it had some pics of the 4-26 show in San Francisco.my only regret is not getting those evo tickets.oh well.maybe next time.anyways,back to the topic,i have never seen pics with Steve and a modded ds-1 although the tubescreamer is modded.i just use my stock ds-1 to boost and make my tone a bit fatter,thus making it more suitable for heavier riffs (for me at least).
SRVoodoo

i agree. the DS-1 modded or unmodded sounds fucking horrible by itself!
as previously posted, it is to be used as a boost.
when used as a boost, it makes the whole thing sound sweet.
I also flop back & forth between my DS-1 Ultra Mod, Original TS-808 & TS-9 depending on my mood or the acoustics of the room.
guitar_man_6

fyrie wrote:I'm thinking that Steve is slowly moving away from the DS-1. We've all seen the recent article where he says that the DS-1 doesn't track well on the fast passages (that's what he uses the TS for). However, he does like the DS-1 to fatten up everything else. The TS isn't really fat, so maybe he'll run across something eventually that will work for both.
The TS has a "midhump" that requires a pedal like a DS-1 for EQ levelling. As for Boss Pedals, I would never use them on their own. THe MT-2, for example, can sound effective - providing you have a Noisegate... :wink:
resha

SRVoodoo wrote:I also flop back & forth between my DS-1 Ultra Mod, Original TS-808 & TS-9 depending on my mood or the acoustics of the room.
that's what I always do to :wink:
on my pedalboard I've got both the DS-1 and the TS-808 and usually I use the TS for the crunch tones while the DS for the lead ones, but lots of times I switch them :wink:
guitar_man_6

A DS-1 can be helpful as a boost on amps like the JCM 800, which have quite enough crunch on their own... :lol: