How to get big, loud, guitars at home.

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
glynn

Re: Great Stuff

#16 Post by glynn » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:25 pm

Blair wrote:I'd just like to say that these boards are great! I didn't even have to ask a question regarding amp mic'ing...... All the information is allready here!

:wink: How cool!
Wonderful! And welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay!

Blair

:D

#17 Post by Blair » Thu May 01, 2003 6:26 pm

:D Well thank you kindly neighbour!

bkornaker1977

#18 Post by bkornaker1977 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:06 pm

Ive tried to cover my legacy with blankets to help reduce volume when recording......but it sounded like crap to me. It almost sounded like useing that direct output (found on the back of the legacy) with just to my ears.........sounded fake and lifeless! I personaly dont like to cover the amp.....I like to let it breath and let the air flow naturaly.

glynn

#19 Post by glynn » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Thats why I made the wooden frame to put the blankets on ;) . If you get the blankets too close to the mic, you can get some weird reflections happening, or the blanket will actually move and get inbetween the cab and mic (and that sounds real bad).

So, has anyone else built one yet?

Jehle
Newcomer

#20 Post by Jehle » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:02 am

glynn wrote: H E R E is a 3 meg clip of it in action. Lead recto, SS recto/full power, vintage channel, treble and volume 12:00, mids and lows at 9:00, no verb or presence, gain all the way up. Low pass at 80hz, verb and echo added via waves.

clean stuff was a podXT, direct.

Ignore the sometimes crappy player (ME).
That's beautiful. *Applause*
I'm going to work on this tone at home. Wish me luck. ;)

Manu_777

#21 Post by Manu_777 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:48 am

My neighbours find another solution :
they called the Police !
8)

Reaper

#22 Post by Reaper » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:04 pm

That's not cool...

glynn

#23 Post by glynn » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:14 pm

Jehle wrote:
glynn wrote: H E R E is a 3 meg clip of it in action. Lead recto, SS recto/full power, vintage channel, treble and volume 12:00, mids and lows at 9:00, no verb or presence, gain all the way up. Low pass at 80hz, verb and echo added via waves.

That's beautiful. *Applause*
I'm going to work on this tone at home. Wish me luck. ;)
Thanks, and good luck!

I have had many visits by the police over the years. My house is under the flight pattern of the local airport, however, and the zone for noise is quite a bit higher due to the air traffic. The only thing that has been able to violate the law was the old F-4's that were in use by the Air Force. Sure, they threaten, but in the end there are no laws that were being broken, and they go away.

Drew

#24 Post by Drew » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:31 pm

Never tried building an isolation compartment like that, but I know the fastest way to get huge, expansive tones is to double track, panned left and right. "Lush" doesn't do it justice, compared to a single track...

-D

bkornaker1977

#25 Post by bkornaker1977 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:40 am

or.....depending on how many tracks are availible on the console.....record like 4-5 tracks of guitar and just layer them. I heard once that some smashing pumpkins song on the siamese dream album had like 15-20 guitar tracks .......thats just f#@kin nuts!

eyebnez

#26 Post by eyebnez » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:09 am

I use a digital fostex 8 Track. I sometimes put my practice amp in the closet with a mic. This makes for a pretty large sound. But since I purchased a POD (Line 6), It's all being done straight into the board with effects added later. :D

chestah

#27 Post by chestah » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:12 pm

yeah randy rhoads use to play and record the same thing like three times to put it in one song..just makes it sound a bit wider and by overlapping the tracks it creats more of a wholesome sound..

quote by glynn
H E R E is a 3 meg clip of it in action. Lead recto, SS recto/full power, vintage channel, treble and volume 12:00, mids and lows at 9:00, no verb or presence, gain all the way up. Low pass at 80hz, verb and echo added via waves.

That's truely a beautiful sound.. and I've got to try that at home.. I probably won't find all the material you used but I'll improvise something

shredomatic
Newcomer

nice tone

#28 Post by shredomatic » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:46 pm

Hey Glynn, i have a few Q's for ya. but first, nice tone...just a tad muddy for my liking but still nice.

Do you use EL34's or the stock 6L6's?

And have you ever tried switching the orange channel to Modern and Variable Hi-Gain and tried getting some lead tones from that? I found them to be a lot more 'in your face' sounding, but i've never tried it at high volumes so I dont know how it would compare to the red channel.

Finally, do you have Evolutions in your guitar?

And I am definitley going to make my own isolation thingy you've got there. The sound you got was really tight and focused.

This is my first post, BTW so hello everyone

glynn

#29 Post by glynn » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:15 pm

Welcome to the board, shredomatic!

I use 6l6's in the boogie, have never tried 34's.

I have messed around with the channel clone a bit, but I dont use it that often.

My pickups in the Uni are the stock Blaze pup's.

Backfromdead

#30 Post by Backfromdead » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:50 pm

Hey glynn,

Watta great tone that you have on STUFF2.MP3 !!!!
Man, could you be so kind to share with us the whole setup that you´ve used for it, please??

Thanks in advance man!! ...and kudos for your tone, pal!! very emotive indeed!!(sure, your playing has a lot to do with it 8) )

.....LOL, and I first tought that I will be able to reach a similar tone through a POD....silly me.... :?