www.vai.com/album

Latest news and blog postings directly from the Vai.com News page and Steve's tour blog.
sap

So what the hell does that mean?
R1FSR

hmmm he seems almost sad and reflective about something !!
sap

I think he wants to focus mainly on orchestra music. We may not get another album.
R1FSR

sap wrote:I think he wants to focus mainly on orchestra music. We may not get another album.

its already been recorded
Prezidentman

Good find with that interview, sadly, it didn't really give any specific answers and I guess I feel even more confused about what's going on than before....
Samuele

What I make of that interview that I posted is that Steve was reflecting on the fact that in the past he had to shelve a lot of ideas for projects that he had, because (for reasons not depending on him) they wouldn't work out. That made me think of when he started working on the Real Illusions project, when he wanted to have various singers collaborate on it - but it didn't work out. I also remember Steve saying at that time that he couldn't depend on anybody else, so he had to move on by himself.

Yes, I too perceived a tinge of sadness in his words, perhaps he has been reflecting on the difficulties he encountered in the past, like I just suggested. Maybe he really wanted to release more albums during these years, but couldn't for various reasons that we don't know. Anyway, I know Steve isn't someone who rests on negative feelings. In fact, in the same interview he says that he hopes to be still making records and playing shows in ten years from now. I think right now he is focusing more on present things rather than planning the future or cultivating ideas for future projects. Just like some of you guys want him to do, right? :)

Another thing that I know for sure is that he is releasing a new album this year, and touring in support of it. I believe it's in the mixing stage now, and I guess artwork is also being worked out.

Check out these recent little videos:

Zakk Wylde Interviews Guitar Legends Steve Vai & Billy Gibbons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pmHNCKLyBI

Steve Vai - Tree Audio Console Intro Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8-iaVklQfw
Big Bad Bill

Samuele wrote:What I make of that interview that I posted is that Steve was reflecting on the fact that in the past he had to shelve a lot of ideas for projects that he had, because (for reasons not depending on him) they wouldn't work out. That made me think of when he started working on the Real Illusions project, when he wanted to have various singers collaborate on it - but it didn't work out. I also remember Steve saying at that time that he couldn't depend on anybody else, so he had to move on by himself.
Perhaps he's just...changed. Remember how he used to go through live performance recordings and adjust every single drum hit to get it perfect? An admirable effort but most rock music fans have hearing damage anyway and wouldn't appreciate it so maybe he's realising that making and releasing some music is better than being bogged down in minutiae that few appreciate. Perhaps with advancing age his passion for things like the Jewel Box/RI trilogy/instructional CDROM/novel have dwindled and with encroaching older age, he's decided to concentrate on what he enjoys doing (orchestral noise) and hopes his fan-base with dig it too and keep him and his family in the manner he has become accustomed to!
Prezidentman

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Samuele wrote:What I make of that interview that I posted is that Steve was reflecting on the fact that in the past he had to shelve a lot of ideas for projects that he had, because (for reasons not depending on him) they wouldn't work out. That made me think of when he started working on the Real Illusions project, when he wanted to have various singers collaborate on it - but it didn't work out. I also remember Steve saying at that time that he couldn't depend on anybody else, so he had to move on by himself.
Perhaps he's just...changed. Remember how he used to go through live performance recordings and adjust every single drum hit to get it perfect? An admirable effort but most rock music fans have hearing damage anyway and wouldn't appreciate it so maybe he's realising that making and releasing some music is better than being bogged down in minutiae that few appreciate. Perhaps with advancing age his passion for things like the Jewel Box/RI trilogy/instructional CDROM/novel have dwindled and with encroaching older age, he's decided to concentrate on what he enjoys doing (orchestral noise) and hopes his fan-base with dig it too and keep him and his family in the manner he has become accustomed to!
Yeah, that sounds very realistic, well said. I understand all of this and I'd be perfectly fine with it, I just wish he'd still put out an album once every few years.
LightWithoutHeat777

Was an "E" just added?
Pape

I don't see an E on the front page of Vai.com or on the Front page of this forum posting.... But...

http://www.vai.com/messageboard/viewtop ... 35&t=31845" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vai says hes almost done yo!!
Pape

I STAND CORRECTED! WE HAVE AN E!!!
Jenn Pix

:?: :? I don't see it, yet.
*pout*

So... where is the "E".?.
Is it where I think.?. at the end of the first word?
Or is it ...Well where else could it even fit?

**gonna go check again...**

all right... now I got the "E".
Just where I thought it would be.
Cool.
LightWithoutHeat777

Getting closer and closer to the new record! Cannot wait!!!!
Prezidentman

Just a random thought.... I don't know if it's Steve's standard approach, but it's somewhat surprising to me that he's able to record this album in parts and stretches over a long period of time and not in 1 or 2 instances and be done with it...I would imagine that working like this might be a part of the reason why the record is taking so long (obviously) but it also feels like every time you'd resume work on a project like this you'd:
a)approach it with a slightly different perspective enough though you might have had a very precise imagine of what you wanted the album to be in your head (I know he mentioned that the album had become a lot more complex than it was initially supposed to be and I think this might part of the problem)
b) maybe lose a some of the concentration or passion for the project you had in the beginning
...I might be completely wrong and I hope I am, it's just something I've been thinking about while waiting for this record.
johnbowman

July 17 :guitar :guitar :guitar

JLR