Twitter | stevevai: Check out the winner of the Jem 77,777 c

Latest news and blog postings directly from the Vai.com News page and Steve's tour blog.
Vai.com Feeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

stevevai: Check out the winner of the Jem 77,777 contest. We will eventually try to post all 3000 entries. http://bit.ly/aHUhY9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://twitter.com/stevevai/statuses/18001591899
DEVIL82

I am so disapointed in the Jem Design winner......ANYone could use KISEKAE Virtual Image Modeling System
and place a picture over the guitar.....its not realy a design is it?
cbr1000f

I think it's really beautiful. There are a lot of very cool & stylish designs in Steve's top selection. Haha good he didn't choose my design which was made with Paint!!! :D
DanF
Newcomer

Wished I'd known about that (KISEKAE) before I'd spent hours in Pain(t).Net designing pixel by pixel! But that's what proffessional design it about, so noone can complain.

The top entries are all fantastic - the interesting one is Charlotte's that appears to be the only one not done using some kind of proffessional design package.

I was kind of expecting a few more with with "innovative" finishes - my initial idea was to vibrate the wood with paint on at the frequency of the opening note of F the L of G and see how that came out. Of course it was so conceptual I had no way of designing it!

Shall we post ours and have a laugh?

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
Samuele

I think that among all the finalist designs, the one that Steve chose is the most beautiful! All of those entries were very nice, but I particularly like the color combination of the winner design, more than anything else.
mstaaf
Newcomer

Samuele wrote:I think that among all the finalist designs, the one that Steve chose is the most beautiful! All of those entries were very nice, but I particularly like the color combination of the winner design, more than anything else.
Agreed, the color harmony and the placement of the graphic is well done.
heat without light

First off congrats to Alex for his winning design - looks really cool!

I had a similar idea of using photoshop and masking out the Jem shape to make my design so I don't have any excuse. I just have to accept my idea was a bit lame.

I wanted to make my design using an old t shirt I've had since the mid 80's. I bought it from the 'steve vai fan club', the address was on the back of the 'Flex-able' LP. The t shirt is way too small for me now - I didn't pork out, I just grew up. So I haven't worn it for ages.

It would be such a shame to throw it out, but I thought it would be so cool to make a 77FP type cloth covering out of it. It has the light without heat logo on the front and Steve on the back. The plan was for the front to make one guitar and the back to make the second. Both the same - sort of - but both different.

If I did the links properly check em out for yourself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51863151@N ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51863151@N ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

please don't leave me out on a limb - post some of your ideas too, I'd love to see them - and more importantly read the stories behind the ideas, like DanF did.
Gail Mist

Congrats to Alex!

And the top design choices were so beautiful!

I started running out of time on my design. I actually had two things in mind, but the mix of analog/computer artwork started cramping my hand severely!! My hand hurt so bad, and time was running so short, that I had to just slap together the "vine" concept between the two horses (which I think looks terrible, but kept reminding myself that it's only a "concept," so the actual article would look a lot better).

That yucky dark mustard color is supposed to be "gold" -- so all the hardware is gold. The horses are abalone inlay with pearlescent manes of fire (one green, one blue). There were three ideas: one is the white guitar with a pearl pickguard, the second is a black guitar with a pearl pickguard, and the third is the black guitar with a clear pickguard.

I chucked the original black "tribal" design on here so you folks could get a good gander at the horse! ;D This "BAD HORSIE" is part organic horse, part locomotive, and all Spirit!! :mrgreen: The artwork concept has a lot of deep, interwoven meaning (all the way down to the actual heart-shaped amethyst stone), and I wish I would have had the time (and pain tolerance) to flesh it out more fully.
At least I got one compliment while working on it, though! One of our friends saw me working on the horse and said, "Damn! I'm asking YOU to design my next tattoo!" :D It made my day!

So, without further ado, I present to you . . . . UGLY ASS GUITAR!! (ROFLMAO)

Gail Mist

heat without light wrote:First off congrats to Alex for his winning design - looks really cool!

I had a similar idea of using photoshop and masking out the Jem shape to make my design so I don't have any excuse. I just have to accept my idea was a bit lame.

I wanted to make my design using an old t shirt I've had since the mid 80's. I bought it from the 'steve vai fan club', the address was on the back of the 'Flex-able' LP. The t shirt is way too small for me now - I didn't pork out, I just grew up. So I haven't worn it for ages.

It would be such a shame to throw it out, but I thought it would be so cool to make a 77FP type cloth covering out of it. It has the light without heat logo on the front and Steve on the back. The plan was for the front to make one guitar and the back to make the second. Both the same - sort of - but both different.

If I did the links properly check em out for yourself.

please don't leave me out on a limb - post some of your ideas too, I'd love to see them - and more importantly read the stories behind the ideas, like DanF did.
Dude, those are some seriously bad ass designs! I'd LOVE to see those guitars go into production! You get a big thumbs up from me!
heat without light

Dude, those are some seriously bad ass designs! I'd LOVE to see those guitars go into production! You get a big thumbs up from me!
Thanks, for the thumbs up, but it would have been a one way ticket for my beloved t-shirt I'm afraid. The whole idea was that my t-shirt would be sacrificed and actually become the covering for the two guitars before being sealed in lacquer for the rest of time . . . :D

BTW your bad horsie is not bad at all - in fact it's quite nice!
b2

Very nice design!

I like blue. And a maple fretboard is just as beautiful as it can get.

Steve, if you don't can find a place to store your copy. Just send it to me! :)
AND Steve, you must use your copy in your next video or dvd so we can see the beauty live.
Or at least make a small video with it to publish on Youtube.com or something.

Will one of these get serial number 77.777 maybe?

Ahhh lovely maple.
mhuey1

Well.... these are my designs... I think they should have won, but I guess that's natural, I designed them.

I figured Steve likes bee's, so here's this one...
Close up...

This one is a fretless guitar. I thought that a sustainer would sound really nice on it..

Congrats to the winner... but I still can't help it, I fill like I was robbed... :oops: :P :roll: :twisted:
Gail Mist

heat without light wrote:
Thanks, for the thumbs up, but it would have been a one way ticket for my beloved t-shirt I'm afraid. The whole idea was that my t-shirt would be sacrificed and actually become the covering for the two guitars before being sealed in lacquer for the rest of time . . . :D

BTW your bad horsie is not bad at all - in fact it's quite nice!
Thank you for the compliment! I was trying for a "less is more" approach, attempting to keep it simple so that the Jem could keep its true, identifiable form. So "quite nice" is quite the perfect comment. :wink:

Your t-shirt idea is quite novel, and I think you could actually turn it into some sweet artwork! My idea? Purchase (or make) two guitar bodies and have the two sides of the shirt applied as planned, then mount them as wall decor! That would look seriously bad ass in a home studio, and it could definitely preserve one of your favorite shirts. :mrgreen: Hey, you might even give one to Steve as a gift one of these days!

Actually, that's part of the reason I entered this contest to begin with: I don't actually play, but a week or two before the contest was announced I had actually been daydreaming about designing a guitar, having two made, and giving one to my husband and one to Steve! So you can bet I'm still working on fleshing this out. :D
Gail Mist

mhuey1 wrote:Well.... these are my designs... I think they should have won, but I guess that's natural, I designed them.

I figured Steve likes bee's, so here's this one...
Close up...

This one is a fretless guitar. I thought that a sustainer would sound really nice on it..

Congrats to the winner... but I still can't help it, I fill like I was robbed... :oops: :P :roll: :twisted:
Oh, seriously beautiful! I love the bees ( love honeybees anyway!) -- it incorporates another of Steve's interests with his guitar playing. With all pun intended, I think it's "sweet!" Dig that black pickguard, too!

The fretless is quite an idea! Very beautiful and inventive, indeed! I'd like to hear what this would sound like.
MikeB7070

Well, I do like the winning design. As for the software used...is it cheating? No. I had forgotten about Kisekae. Congrats.