Vai.com News | Orianthi featuring Steve Vai: "Highly Strung"

Latest news and blog postings directly from the Vai.com News page and Steve's tour blog.
lukevo

Re: Vai.com News | Orianthi featuring Steve Vai:

#16 Post by lukevo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:09 am

Mikey wrote:
lukevo wrote:It is only with me that Youtube shows this message:

"Orianthi - Highly Strung ft. Steve Vai"
This video is private.?

I've already saw this video, but I want to see again, I don't know what is happening
Whoever is running Oriantihi's YouTube channel must have pulled it for some reason. Which was quite silly...
Hey Mikey do you know if they are going to put the video back on-line?

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#17 Post by Mikey » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:26 pm

I don't.. but I'm sure they will eventually.

Mikey
vai.com

Reno

#18 Post by Reno » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:28 am

weird it was working a min ago

blehhhhhhhhh

ClarkyNZ

#19 Post by ClarkyNZ » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:46 pm

Orianthi's & Steve's playing were both so hot that it exposed them as aliens. After a bit of Photoshopping, the human version will be re-posted.

Hang tight Earthlings!

Revontulet777

#20 Post by Revontulet777 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Orianthi posted this link on twitter http://www.lastfm.es/music/Orianthi/+videos/40446135

The vid is f**king amazing, Steve looks great! :guitar it would be great if Steve do 1 or 2 videos to promote the next :D album!

Carlos
Chile

caprile

#21 Post by caprile » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:17 am

My opinion:

- Orianthi's playing is at most "regular". She is a media fade, not a valid new "guitar hero"
- The song sound like something Steve would write for a lesser known video game or something. All the "Vai-isms" are there, except the memorable parts.
- Having said that, it is awesome to see Steve in a major label video in 2010, playing a 7 string in front of 2 stacks!

If they're gonna milk this girl's 15 minutes, what better than our boy Steve getting a big glass!!!!!

georg_f
Newcomer

#22 Post by georg_f » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:53 am

I love the video! Orianthi did a great job. It's tough look cool next to Steve though. He is the king of "show guitar presentation".

It's a sure thing that there will be many nay-sayers. It's hard to be objective on this since she's a female guitarist that makes pop rock (with guitar solos) for the most part.
I'd say just enjoy.

lydian2000

#23 Post by lydian2000 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:02 am

It's incredible to witness the amount of pure sexism that exists among us guitarists.

I'm getting fed up of seeing her bashed, the amount of contempt, and I can't help but think it is somewhat related to her gender. As far as I'm concerned she's a 100% genuine bona fide artist, composer, singer and a hell of a guitar player.

To actually watch and hear any guitar player (those who CAN anyway) playing/composing an instrumental track with Steve is at the very least remarkable.

:peace

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#24 Post by Mikey » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:45 am

lydian2000 wrote:It's incredible to witness the amount of pure sexism that exists among us guitarists.

I'm getting fed up of seeing her bashed, the amount of contempt, and I can't help but think it is somewhat related to her gender. As far as I'm concerned she's a 100% genuine bona fide artist, composer, singer and a hell of a guitar player.

To actually watch and hear any guitar player (those who CAN anyway) playing/composing an instrumental track with Steve is at the very least remarkable.

:peace
I'm right with you lydian. Thanks for your post.

I think that all one needs to remember when reading this kind of sexism or unfounded criticism, is that Orianthi is the one out there making a name for herself, and she's the one playing in the video with Steve, while those who have nothing good to say will never achieve that. If she wasn't good enough, do you think Steve would waste his time?

Mikey
vai.com

DomitianX

#25 Post by DomitianX » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:52 pm

I heard her playing before I saw her playing so I dont get the comments either. She can definitely play, and she is definitely very attractive, but they have nothing to do with each other.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#26 Post by Mikey » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:31 pm

The video is back up here - along with a "making of" video!

http://www.spinner.com/2010/01/19/orian ... -premiere/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mikey :)
vai.com

ClarkyNZ

#27 Post by ClarkyNZ » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:57 pm

Thanks Aussie! 8)

fineweather

#28 Post by fineweather » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Very cool vids!
I'm a fan of Ori since 2007 and I could get a chance to see her performance at the PRS experience show in Japan(2007). I was really blown away by her guitar playing techniques and her talent. I didn't know such a guitarist like her...full of energy and lithe performance , and more.
When I watched the vid, at first I felt that is Steve Vai's sound which I loved. I was very excited at it. But I was sure that Ori is the great guitarist as a perfect guitarist playing with Steve. No doubt about it. :)

Polymnie

#29 Post by Polymnie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:15 am

lydian2000 wrote:It's incredible to witness the amount of pure sexism that exists among us guitarists.
Cela fait deux fois qu’au moment de poster,
je m’aperçois que vous avez réagi comme j’allais le faire.
J’avais déjà flairé cette réticence dès les premiers commentaires. En tout cas merci Aymeric. :)

And thank you to Mikey to have put the clocks forward.
Steve considers this video as ferocious, but it's the people who are, never music.
"Highly Strung" is dynamic and cheerful.
I imagine the pleasure of this artist to play with his idol.
She has very attractive sense of touch and a lot of sensibility.
And especially, we feel in this video the respect for Steve, a lot of humility and does not try to move forward.
And... Thank you Orianthy, to have managed to take off these horrible glasses to Steve. :D

deness
Newcomer

#30 Post by deness » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:37 am

Very amazing vids! Orianthi play in drop D-tunes, Steve on 7string ... :D cool :)