[News Item]Introducing the Steve Vai Jemini Distortion Peda

Latest news and blog postings directly from the Vai.com News page and Steve's tour blog.
EyE

Derek wrote:EyE - I tested it out, you cannot use both simultaneously. If you select one while the other is turned on, it will turn off the first automatically while turning on the second, which is nice. Note that there is a small delay (maybe about 10-20 milliseconds) where the signal is lost when you do that, so it's not a seamless transition, but I'm sure that they did everything they could to make it as seamless as possible.
Thanks for testing Derek. Can't waite to test that puppy out myself. It sounds great what I heard so far.
Derek

[quote="Splish"][quote="Derek"]EyE - I tested it out, you cannot use both simultaneously. If you select one while the other is turned on, it will turn off the first automatically while turning on the second, which is nice. Note that there is a small delay (maybe about 10-20 milliseconds) where the signal is lost when you do that, so it's not a seamless transition, but I'm sure that they did everything they could to make it as seamless as possible.[/quote]

Derek, I'm thinking about buying one of these pedals, I've been after a good distortion tone for a while now. The thing I have a against the video is that Vai is playing - obviously, no matter what he's demoing, it's going to sound fantastic (a custom amp, JEM(s?!) and of course his ability). I don't know how comercially available this pedals going to be in the UK, so as an owner, is it worth our cash? Thanks :)[/quote]

Is it worth your cash? Hard to answer. I'll have to try a few more guitar/amp combinations before I can make your decision for you. So far I know that the left side of the pedal really has a nice "organic" sound to it. I can hear the front of the notes, I can hear the fingers on the strings, the notes have "bite". I like setting the drive about halfway between the clean side of the amp and my normal "dirty" side of the amp setting. What I end up with would work well for Stevie Ray Vaughan songs, if I could play the blues.

The right side of the pedal is where I still have to do some more work to figure it all out. It works very nicely as a solo boost for me. I did not like the way it sounded initially trying to use it for rhyhtm in combination with the dirty side of my amp. By itself, it can used for that, but something didn't sound quite right trying to use it for rhythm with the dirty side of the amp. Of course, it could have been the guitar, so far I haven't tried an Ibanez guitar yet, just a Les Paul, which is admittedly a tad different. Also - my initial setting of the Right Side of the pedal with the Dirty Side of the amp resulted in screaming feedback when trying to "rest" notes during a solo - you can back the drive off and fix this, but I haven't gone back to check the Right Side of the pedal with the clean side of the amp after backing the drive down. Again, though, the feedback may have been caused more by the Les Paul than the pedal.

Soon I should be able to try a few more guitars through this pedal and Legacy cabinet, and I've got a JSX212 combo set aside to try as well, so I should be able to answer better in the near future. I am in love with the Overdrive Side, the jury's still out on my feelings for The Distortion Side... but I'm still trying things out, so we'll see.

D
jem613

hee hee hee, AWESOME video!!

One thing though, there should be a warning not to watch whilst at work, as I just did, and laughed out loud. The boss glared at me!!!

As for the pedal - it sounds su-frickin-perb
Splish

Thanks very much for you thoughts Derek! It sounds like you own a guitar shop with that amount of equipment at your disposal :P !
mayuka

God I hate where I live, you cant find shit here. Ive been to my guitar center 3 times to harass them abiout getting one, and ive been buggin my other guitar shop to get one. The guitarcenter guys say theat there manager doesnt wanna get one thinking it wont sell. But thankfully my other guitarshop says they are ordering a few... (so they say) I GOTTA PLAY THIS PEDAL!!! GAHHHH!!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

You could try Musician's Friend :)

Mikey :)
vai.com
mayuka

very true Mikey, but still. I wanna play it before I buy.

I mean I have a badass Fulltone OCD and a MIJ DS-1, so Its just one of those play before I buy
BadHorsie777

Im gonna get to play through one eventually...the music store i go to is getting one in like a few months...

i love the video and the product! awesome!
llamahead

Mikey wrote:You could try Musician's Friend :)

Mikey :)
vai.com
if it's in production musicians friend prolly has it. :P
Yelgath
Newcomer

that was great and the pedal sounds awesome
777lovein

wow
mayuka

Finnaly got mine, found it up here in Austin when I evacuated Corpus for hurricain Ike, even though it didnt even hi us, oh well at least I got my Jemini!!!