[News Item]Introducing the Steve Vai Jemini Distortion Peda

Latest news and blog postings directly from the Vai.com News page and Steve's tour blog.
teokiatuan

#16 Post by teokiatuan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:12 am

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy :D :D

Desert_Runner

#17 Post by Desert_Runner » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:09 am

Derek wrote:Does anybody know what effects were used on the "clean channel" prior to the pedal being turned on? I can guarantee that my clean channel doesn't sound that nice!

I could hear what I think might be chorus, but what else? I'm not very good with effects and wish I knew more. When I use a clean channel, I sometimes use some chorus, and that's about it, I'd love to have a sound more like Steve #2 has every once in a while.

D
I think it was just chorus and delay. And Steve's fingers.

Nickayre1984
Newcomer

Great looking pedal

#18 Post by Nickayre1984 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:46 pm

looks like a great pedal. Like others have mentioned, would have liked to hear what the pedal alone can do, but the way steve plays, he likes a little chorus and delay in there so cant be too disgruntled. Great vid. Anyone tried it yet??

llamahead

#19 Post by llamahead » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:32 pm

that was the best demo i've seen to date

it was funny, went through the features, went through all the techniques, the whole nine yards

Prev

#20 Post by Prev » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:08 pm

u can't wipe the smile off my face watching that vid!

musical genius/ comedy genius!

can i have 1% of your talent please Mr. Vai?

EyE

#21 Post by EyE » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:44 pm

Does anybody know if you can use both pedals at the same time?

Desert_Runner

#22 Post by Desert_Runner » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:32 am

EyE wrote:Does anybody know if you can use both pedals at the same time?
Simple, just ask your clone to play along with you.

Derek

#23 Post by Derek » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:54 am

the last review I read says that you cannot use both pedals simultaneously, though I had thought that you could initially. I received mine in the mail last night, look forward to getting it plugged in this evening, I'll find out for sure whether they can be used in tandem... don't think so, though.

EyE

#24 Post by EyE » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:18 am

Derek wrote:the last review I read says that you cannot use both pedals simultaneously, though I had thought that you could initially. I received mine in the mail last night, look forward to getting it plugged in this evening, I'll find out for sure whether they can be used in tandem... don't think so, though.
I was wondering that while watching Steve's promo clip. Thanks for your feedback Derek. If the review said so then I guess that's the deal. I can't waite to try it out ;)

Derek

#25 Post by Derek » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:58 am

EyE - I tested it out, you cannot use both simultaneously. If you select one while the other is turned on, it will turn off the first automatically while turning on the second, which is nice. Note that there is a small delay (maybe about 10-20 milliseconds) where the signal is lost when you do that, so it's not a seamless transition, but I'm sure that they did everything they could to make it as seamless as possible.

Booligan

#26 Post by Booligan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:57 am

i´d like to hear all these pedals tested dry. something in me just does not believe steve played there with nothing else connected to his Carvins than this pedal.

either way i´m gonna try it out anyway, it looks & sounds pretty cool. :)

egratteau

FTLOG Guitar

#27 Post by egratteau » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:22 am

Nice to see the FTLOG guitar again. Last time I saw it the pups were all melted. Looking forward to getting this pedal and putting the Jemini jam on my iPod.

Samuele

#28 Post by Samuele » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:01 am

I had seen the video as soon as it was up on Ibanez's website, but the vai.com version looks even higher quality than that! It is my opinion that our Mikey is the best web designer ever. If I check out any other artist's web page and then have a look at vai.com, well... game over! (for me, at least!)

With regard to the video, I believe Steve has the uncanny ability to always come up with some amazing way of presenting the results of his work, thus capturing my (and yours too) attention to the point of glueing my eyes to the screen. :)

I noticed how there's a section in the middle of the first demo (with Evo) - the part where he starts in the higher register with the sweep-picking arpeggios - that I think he played a few times at the clinic here in Italy last month. To me the Jemini surely sounds amazing, and Steve's sounding better and better as the years pass (if that's possible!). Just my feeling.

Yes, I too have a big smile when watching that video.

Splish

#29 Post by Splish » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:19 am

Derek wrote:EyE - I tested it out, you cannot use both simultaneously. If you select one while the other is turned on, it will turn off the first automatically while turning on the second, which is nice. Note that there is a small delay (maybe about 10-20 milliseconds) where the signal is lost when you do that, so it's not a seamless transition, but I'm sure that they did everything they could to make it as seamless as possible.
Derek, I'm thinking about buying one of these pedals, I've been after a good distortion tone for a while now. The thing I have a against the video is that Vai is playing - obviously, no matter what he's demoing, it's going to sound fantastic (a custom amp, JEM(s?!) and of course his ability). I don't know how comercially available this pedals going to be in the UK, so as an owner, is it worth our cash? Thanks :)

Zongadude

#30 Post by Zongadude » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:10 pm

This is brilliant, and so cleverly edited.
You have to put this video as a bonus on a forthcoming dvd, it's a great piece of Vai humor and talent.