REVIEWS: G3 - 4 DECEMBER 2004: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Did you attend this G3 show on December 4th at Credicard Hall in Brazil?

We'd love to read your reviews! Please post them here.

Mikey :)
vai.com
Last edited by Mikey on Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Souza309
Newcomer

Yeah, tell me about it..

SO F*CKING GREAT!!

#1 - It was the first show that started right on time (10pm) that I ever attended

#2 - TOO LOUD!! Still great, tho.

#3 - Robert Fripp must be an awesome guitar player, maybe we can see him playing next time. Lucky as I am bought new binnoculars today and could see Fripp hiding himself behind an amp-wall.

#4 - Anybody noticed the Silver Surfer statue?

#5 - Vai is a showman. His performance was the greatest by far.

#6 - Joe playing Cool#9 was soooo great!!

#7 - For the Love of God, as usual, was amazing. I was hoping to hear all the crowd singing the melody along with Macalpine keyboards, it would be beautiful. I remember this Vai concert at Olympia (SP - Brazil) when everybody sang "For the Love of God" with "Oh's" and "Ah's"... well, figure it out. (Did you notice that the 7th comment was this one? ;))

After 3:30hs of guitar heroes I can sleep peacefully.

~Souza309
shacks

Souza309 wrote:Lucky as I am bought new binnoculars today and could see Fripp hiding himself behind an amp-wall.
:lol:

shacks
Naivefire
Newcomer

I saw it... :D And i kept saying to myself: "oooooohhhh!!!!!I want one of that for meeeee!!!!! :D
I tried to take a picture of it, but it was too far for my camera to reach it :(
Harry_Hataway
Newcomer

.... One word that describe Steve's show yesterday here in Sao Paulo : Heavenly

This is the first concert from steve i attended , and for now , is the best concert i've ever been in my life.
When Steve came in with the 3-neck ibanez and fired the first notes from "I know you're here" , dude , i almost passed out of such emotion! No sh**!

The band kicked ass³ like always......

-Tony delivering the extra 2 arms that steve ever needed plus the coolness of a very special musician

-Billy with a very active performace and his blistering bass solos! I always wanted to see him live... and yesterday i got this wish realized!

-Dave always providing the essential extra layer of sounds from Steve's records

- And that new drummer Jeremy Colson? When i saw him for the first time i asked myself "What the hell this punk dude is doin in Steve's band?" Jesus! He's great! I could feel the drum beats on my chest!

The setlist was great , of course! The highlights : I know you're here, Bangkok, Answers, Liberty, Reaping.... and Whispering a Prayer which is the newest "emotional peak moment" from steve's setlist!

Joe's show was wonderful too! That first song in the 7-string guitar is great! I went nuts too when he started Cool#9! Other Highlights : Is there love in space (with mr fripp) , Flying in a Blue Dream.

Me and my friends wondered all the time : "Why Mr. Fripp spent most of the show hidden in the stage left instead of showing off?" :lol:

I've had a blast! Thankx to Steve and the guys for those excelent moments.... I hope i can see you as soon as possible again!
laficojr

Let´s go......

Well,i have some problems in the beggining of the show,because the aftershow pass,my car battery,but in the end i watch the whole show!

So....in 10:00PM Mr.Fripp start his show,i never heard nothing about him,
i like his music,but i think is so much depressive......but is good for the introduction of the G3,he playied around 25 minutes
When he just stop Steve came out from the backstage and started to play i know you're here....just perfect,the audience start this
VAI....VAI...VAI...VAI :lol: Very cool

After that song...one problem with Steve guitar in the intro of Giant Balls of Gold,the guitar doesn't work and he give one signal to billy to continue one solo in the intro,but in the part that steve does the inicial riff,all was ok :wink: ,like i know you're here.....perfect,and with Jerermy......it was so much HEAVY than with Virgil

The next song was Answers...you must see this version,with this new band....i like the others members too,but with dave,tony,billy,and jeremy...no coments,it just like the G3'96 with jonhson but with a different solo in the end :wink:

The next.....REAPER,just like the g3 cd,steve was doing a lot of his crazy noises,playing with his tongue..Steve VAI IS STEVE VAI,it took about 10 minutes i think...

Now...JUICE,he playied it exactly like the DVD of the G3 with malmsteen,but with so much energy!!!Steve and the band are really enjoying play in my country(i hope)

WHISPERING A PRAYER....all the audience stayied like this :shock: :cry: :oops: :roll: ,and after the song :D
I really enjoy this song.....and the audience too!
Some people did't ever listen this song,but i'm sure they love it!

Now.BANGKOK/bullwhip,exactly like the astoria Dvd,Tony was playing very well the keyboards,and all the audience like him,he's a very cool guy :wink:

GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE...In this song the audience just crazy,and steve too!!!!There was so much energy in this show...you guys can't imagine it!!
Now,one surprise..LIBERTY,i have saw Steve's set list but there's was nothing about it there
AND THE Grand finalle...
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...
The band started to play this song with the intro of the orchestra,and all the audience start to sing with steve guitar,you know??
It was really beautifull saw Steve in my country for the first time in my life

So..joe came out of the backstage and started to play one heavy song :roll: I don't know the name :lol: (sorry!)
He playied coll#9 with a long intro,but the audience was enjoying it..
He playied some songs of his new album,Is there's love in the space?,but i did't brought this yet,so i can't tell you the songs..
He playied always with me..always with you,and the audience"sing" with him all the song :shock:,as well as in Flying in a blue dream
But he doesn't playied SUMMER SONG,he just playied this in the second day(I was there too :wink: )

JAM:
They start with ice#9,with steve in the rhytm guitar,with just some solos...The next song was Red from King krimson,it was really heavy and progressive..with no much coments!
So...the best part of the jam was in this part,Steve started to play THE MURDER,and in the end of this song,steve just change it and started Rockin in the free world,all the audience was singing with joe and steve,what about Fripp?....he's was behind the amps..and he does some nice solos too! :wink:

Now,the best part of the show

AFTERSHOW PASS HISTORY

One day in the life:
Well 5 minutes after the concert ends the security guards was in one door near the stage and they was searching for the people who won the aftershow pass,so they said only to up the stairs.....
When i came in i notice that here was the backstage,i was thinking it will be in a different place,but that's ok,the room has around 25 people waiting for Steve,i take with me my JEM 555,songbooks,cd's and A GIFT TO STEVE...

HEY STEVE I'M THE GUY!Let's see if you will do what you said to me :wink:
It's one bracelet i made to Steve.

When he came's in i was wait for him,with my Jem,so i talk a lot with Dave "coolest" Weiner,and he gave me another aftershow pass for me,my mom,and my brother!
I talk a lot with Jeremy"very nice" Colson,he's a very cool as well as Dave and Tony"put your tongue out for the pic"Macalpine,
btw...Please if you see that tony...i will send the pic to your site :wink:
Billy "funny"Sheenan.....i remember very well...one guy ask him for one pic,and he said..OK..............5 DOLLARS! :lol:
So,steve calls me........ :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
And he said......You want that i sign your guitar?,and me...please... so he signed,and i said to him that i have this gift to him...So,he put it on his hands,and he ask if i'll attend the show of 12/05,and i say yes...so he said he'll use it...
So...i tell him that i have a tribute band for him here in Brazil,and he reply...Yeah?what songs do you play?
And i started..... Giant Balls of gold..and a woman,comes out,STEVE CAN I TAKE PIC?,so i stop(i will kill this woman :evil:),and steve comes out,and i said can we play some day?,and he.....SURE,and hold my hand :D
After that i talk with Thomas,and he sign my guitar too!And he said he will talk to Steve if i could play for him,and if could learn me something,so i said thank you,take a pic,and went home

:?: Will Steve use the bracelet ?

See my other post in 12/05

WARM REGARDS!

sorry if this is very "BIG",but i need to tell you,thankx Mikey!(I TALK A LOT OF YOU WITH THE GUYS..)
Last edited by laficojr on Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harry_Hataway
Newcomer

wow laficojr! If i had a wonderful night , you've been closest to heaven than any human being on that show! Unfortunatly, i didn't got the backstage pass :( (believe me , i really wanted to meet Steve more than anything else...) but its fine , cuz i feel like i wasn't ready for it.
I have my entire life to meet Steve (i'm just 20yo) , so i'll get myself ready from now to have a great time when i meet him personally... :D

Other notesss:

- Have i told before that Jeremy kicked ass? He's so damn heavy and blew me away with such energy!

-I have one more reason to love whispering a prayer after this show.... this song really touches me and Steve played it with perfection

- At the G3 jam , i got surprised when they started to play Ice 9 from Surfing with the Alien! I love that song!

- :evil: Damn... he played The Crying Machine and Erotic Nightmares at the second night... and i lost it. (damn college tests)
Master_Coverdale
Newcomer

I went to to show, my first Vai concert it was perfect, the triple neck guitar, Billy Sheehan's bass solos, and at the end waiting at the back door to get the master's autograph, I got it on my guitar, and Billy gave me two picks!!!!!!!!!

[/img]
shacks

shacks 8)
EVO 555

that scares me :twisted:
laficojr

Harry_Hataway wrote:wow laficojr! If i had a wonderful night , you've been closest to heaven than any human being on that show! Unfortunatly, i didn't got the backstage pass :( (believe me , i really wanted to meet Steve more than anything else...) but its fine , cuz i feel like i wasn't ready for it.
I have my entire life to meet Steve (i'm just 20yo) , so i'll get myself ready from now to have a great time when i meet him personally... :D

Other notesss:

- Have i told before that Jeremy kicked ass? He's so damn heavy and blew me away with such energy!

-I have one more reason to love whispering a prayer after this show.... this song really touches me and Steve played it with perfection

- At the G3 jam , i got surprised when they started to play Ice 9 from Surfing with the Alien! I love that song!

- :evil: Damn... he played The Crying Machine and Erotic Nightmares at the second night... and i lost it. (damn college tests)

Well,i'm sure the next time...you will win the aftershow pass :wink:
but yes...meet Steve was one of the best days in my life,i'll never forget,Steve and the GUYS of the band,all of them are very cool guys especially Dave,jeremy and Tony,billy is a little "closer",but he's cool too!

Steve bring peace,love and good happiness stuff to the world!
laficojr

Long live Steve Vai!
And please come back to Brazil for a solo tour :wink:

Btw...great pic of the show Mikey!

Marco :D
laficojr

Some pics of the show...

laficojr

My pics of the aftershow pass,thank you Mikey!

some gifts to the guys!

Steve shows his gift to the camera :lol:
Harry_Hataway
Newcomer

Cool Pics dude! :wink: