REVIEWS: G3 Europe - 24 June: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
dava_con
Newcomer

IT was amazing :D though the speakers on the left kept on cutting out it was still amazing. I did'nt see robert fripp because he was sittin in the back behind the speakers. Robert fripp should'nt be on the tour he didnt do a set and he did'nt even take a bow at the end of the show :(, but steve and joe's sets were amazing.
inizio
Newcomer

this was my first g3 concert! and i hope not my last! robert fripp was well erm.....not my style, but steve vai, n satch, omg, they wer AMAZING! he played the triple neck aswell!!! but can anyone tell me the name of the first song vai played? cus i loved that song and i dont no its name!! he played all my faveroutes, an i was so happy wen he played for the love of god! and i loved that satriani song before Cool Blue, if thats its name...im not the biggest satch fan, but hes v v v amazing! i loved his dance! ha ha! and then i went to the aftershow, and when lining up outside, i was really nervous, i was gonna meet steve! we wer all put into the stall's bar, and joe was the first to come in, i shook his hand, got a picture of him and my big bro, then i saw steve.....an my stomach did about 20 somersaults!!! when i got the chance to meet him, i floundered, and couldnt say anything! so i just asked him 2 sign my backplate off my ibanez, and got a picture, but the highlight was i made him laugh, despite my nerves, and v v quiet voice, wen my bro was takin the pic an he didnt press the buttonon the camera hard enough, i went "*shakes head* men...." and steve laughed! i was chuffed!!! :D anyway, then i took a pic of me and my bro wit dave weiner, an off we went home...still thinking about the sureal encounter we had just witnessed that was G3!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Vai_n_maiden
Newcomer

I don't get what everyone was going on about... Fripp was FANTASTIC! (this was having never heard anything he'd done before) his soundscapes were just awesome and MAN can he shred! The King Crimson song in the jam was just a brilliantly arranged and composed piece.

Steve's set was fantastic, total Vai worshipper that i am :lol: I appreciated Billy and Tony a lot more seeing them live (going from the DVD i didn't really like them being in the vai band) Dave's RG was YUMMY :D and as always Steve's jems were lush :)

I sat down for most of Joe's set as I find him dull and repetitive. Legato lick 101 followed by harmonic squeal, followed by pick trill followed by harmonic squeal doesn't do it for me anymore I'm afraid.

I thought the jam was kinda disappointing, Robert was :o when he let rip in the jams, really surprised me, Joe was...... Joe, and Steve kicked ass, I'm glad they realised that Joe shouldn't be left to sing rockin in the free world all alone :D

Outside we were right up against the barrier, I got one of Jeremy Colson's drumsticks, before which Robert left pretty sharpish for the bus, he seemed a really shy and nice guy, and it's a shame the reception he's recieved at other shows, he did seem genuinely pleased we enjoyed the show though :) We spoke with and shook hands with Billy and Tony, no WEEEEEEIIIIINERRRRR in sight though :? Jeff Campitelli made a similar exit to Robert Fripp, so I just shouted "Jeff, you rule!" :D

Steve then came out and signed my ultra zone sleeve and backplate, we talked about him doing more vocal tracks live (I really dig silent within) and also about possibly EVH on a future G3. He was such a nice guy and to meet my primary musical inspiration is fantastic as it's the kind of thing where you think "oh, i'll never meet him" but to have a one on one conversation with Steve Vai is totally flooring :D Joe seemed to have scooted out somewhere else so we missed him. My girlfriend and I got our picture taken with Steve, by the time we could have got to Billy again for one (My gf is a HUGE Mr. Big fan!) he'd gone into the coach.

A great show made even better by great people :)
caine
Newcomer

its was smart when Steve Vai came on with his triple neck guitar after robert fripp boring us to death with his music :? , i didnt see him tho i heard he was sitting there on a stool in the dark, i was hoping steve would play liberty but unfortunatly he didnt, everytime steve looked our way us underage drinkers held up our drinks hoping we would get his attention :lol: , he finshed off his set with his amazing compesision "For the love of God"!
it even went quiet enough for me to shout "i love you steve"

Then the outstanding Joe Satriani came on but before that we placed a "Pilgrim Fire" plectrum on the stage hoping he would pick it up but someone eles did instead (if it was you that picked it up then please contact me on poo_on_tost@hotmail.com) Everyone stood up when they started playing "satch boogie" it was good but that song was a bit too loud everything was getting distorted, the crowd had the same reaction when he started to play "Always With Me Always With You" and he even added a bit more to the ending, very good!

I heard a bit more from Robert Fripp on the G3 jam, he done some quite good solos but i think that guy should learn how to play the guitar standing up,or he was too lazy. he didnt even come to the front of the stage to bow at the end of the show (maybe hes got no legs?? :P )

I would recommend any steve vai or joe satriani fans to attend a G3 concert its an amazing experiance :wink:

Caine
ds23pallas

KeithH wrote: As for after the show, the show finished at aorund 11.00, we waited at the stage door until around 11.20, but no sign of Steve or Joe ? What happened after that ? Were the people waiting invited in ? did steve or joe come out. or not ?
we had to get home, wokr next day etc. but Id love to know what went on after the show, so next time we can wait a little longer !?
Can anyone tell me please?
At about 11:30 we were invited into the aftershow area. We then hung around in there for another 20 minutes or so before Joe came in, followed by Steve and Dave. I chatted with Joe for a couple of minutes and then Steve for a while before leaving as I had to get home to get some sleep before work! I almost ran smack bang into Tony Mac on my way back to the car though!
KeithH

Were you invited especially ? or did you just hang out by the door and everyone was invited in ?

if so what happened ? I am really p*ssed off that we had to head for home at 11.20. I am wondering whether to hang around for longer next time.
Please tell me what happened !!
ds23pallas

No, we had aftershow passes - thanks to Vai.com.
KeithH

did he come to the door ?

I am wondering if I missed the opportunity of a lifetime of meeting steve last night.

I am not so bothered about an aftershow party., but a handshake would have been very very cool.
Christoph
Newcomer

Has anyone got a setlist of the night, in particular steve's set? There was this amazing song that i wanna find, but i don't know the name of it! :cry:
Vai_n_maiden
Newcomer

KeithH wrote:did he come to the door ?

I am wondering if I missed the opportunity of a lifetime of meeting steve last night.

I am not so bothered about an aftershow party., but a handshake would have been very very cool.
Yep he came out, I was waiting right at the barrier.... pretty much everyone but satch made an appearance, don't think I saw his rhythm guitarist either.... Jeff Campitelli did come out, but I met all of the Vai band (Jeremy likes machine head! \m/) and Robert Fripp (briefly)
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Christoph wrote:Has anyone got a setlist of the night, in particular steve's set? There was this amazing song that i wanna find, but i don't know the name of it! :cry:
You're looking for 'I know you're here AKA tripple neck diddy"...go out and buy the latest G3 dvd, with malmsteen. It's on that.
Christoph
Newcomer

You're looking for 'I know you're here AKA tripple neck diddy"...go out and buy the latest G3 dvd, with malmsteen. It's on that.
If you say so :) The one i'm looking for is the pretty mellow,slower paced one that he did towards the end of his set, the guitar sounded really nice in it. Probably a crap description, i know :(
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

You're thinking of "Whispering A Prayer" which can be found on the "Alive In An Ultra World" CD.

Mikey
vai.com
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oops, my bad. Thought you were asking on that in some other thread also.
Whispering a prayer is also featured on the Live in Astoria DVD.

Go get 'm all anyway.. ;)
chappers
Newcomer

I to am rubbish at writing reviews.

Fripp was very different indeed, Hadn't really heard much about him at all. We arrived in the middle of his set and thought he was a guitar tech or something. Thought it was the background music whilst everyone were getting their seats.

Then Steve came on with the Triple neck Jem, What a machine!!

Steve set was revolutionary, There is no other person in the world that i enjoy watching more than Vai play his guitar. He is a wizard and a true master. His playing is nothing other than true excellence.

My Wife loves her pop music. She is now converted and says that the G3 Manchester was the best gig she has ever witnessed. I am proud of her for seeing the light and opening her eyes to real music.

Joe as always was outstanding and arguably on par with Vai. I was under the impression that the majority of the people there were there to see Joe as everyone stood for his set inparticular.

Vai stole the show for us and never seizes to impress people and to leave them all breathe taken.

managed to get a cool pic and handshake afterwards with the man himself

Think he said his album was being released in September of this year. Cant wait

see ya
ste chapman